Two handling questions

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Dead Reckon, Aug 27, 2013.

1. 200OZ

200OZ Well-Known Member

Dead Reckon, Is your OCC a factory tow package car? I wanted to go the same route as you're going when I had my OCC. Sadly the frame had a soft spot, and was not a good starting point for it, so I can't wait to see what you do to yours. I've got some opinions for ya though, take 'em or leave 'em.

Sway bars IMO. -All the parts look good, just make sure they work together before ordering. The Hotchkis rear bar looks like it mounts to the side of the rear arms, while the Metco arms use the bottoms of the arms to mount the bar. Since the the Metco arms allow you to use a sedan bar, I'd look for both front and rear bars in the junk yard, or the Impala SS forum, used. That will save you a lot of money to put towards the engine swap. On a side note, the front sway bar from a late '70s, early '80s Z-28, or Trans AM fit the B bodies of your era. They are not a "direct" fit, but they do fit pretty well, and they are a solid 1 1/4". I found one at a JY a few years ago for $10.00, bought the correct links and sway bar bushings and bolted it to the car in 1/2 an hour. Friends with the Hotchkis bars regret they didn't go with the Ford rear bar, and the F body front bar. I've got about $70.00 tied up in sway bars on my Roadmaster, your results may very, but I'd bet you could do just as well as I did, or better.

Shocks IMO, you're on the right track, but check out shox.com, better prices.

Front end parts IMO- Stick with Moog on tie rods, ball joints, centerlinks, idler arms, and that sort of thing, I've had bad experiences with the AC/Delco stuff.

Springs, for your OCC will be the same with either engine, the 307 is basically the same block as the 350 gas ,and even the 350 diesel.

Mike

2. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

You're right, I did not notice that, Hotchkis sells a control arm kit that uses those side mounts.

No, but oddly it has the heavy duty 11 3/4" towing rear drum brakes, if I just look for a replacement brake cylinder for the back, I'll get one for light duty brakes, which are standard on 86-89's evidently. We found that out the hard way, stock unit is 1/3rd the size of the cylinder on there. And we already had the car torn down and couldn't drive it to go get the part we needed. That was an interesting experience, finding someone's car to loan. :D

I've heard mixed things about Moog, but my idler arm, center link and tie rods (Had a brain fart as to what tie rods where called there for a minute, don't ya hate when that happens? "Yeah I Just replaced the uh... *brain goes empty*) are made by moog.

Thanks a lot for the info, again how hard is it to bolt the ford rear bar? And where might I get one? I NEVER see wagons in the junkyards around here, they get sold or parted so fast it's absurd. A 2nd gen Z-28 or Trans Am would be just as hard to find.

If I can't find the parts you mentioned, I'll just use the hotchkis bars and control arms. I'm sure it's a lot better than what I've got now.

As for the frame being the soft spot, I don't see that being an issue. This car towed a 12 foot box trailer over Bent Mountain (Look it up, Roanoke county VA) once a year for six years, sure that's part of the reason the rear differential has slack, the transmission died prematurely, and the front brakes got toasted, but that frame is tough. This car has been through hell in it's life.

Thanks for the info, dinner is calling, but I'll look on shox to see if I can't find the B6 HD's to fit my car cheaper.

3. unkldave

unkldave Cockroach Dave

Wagon Garage:
    When I read this post, I remembered a post from another forum about some junkyard swaybars that are interchangable with a little work. I also had some luck finding a 1" swaybar in the local junk yard that I managed to modify and fit onto my old ford wagon. I bought one for the front, (a big 1 1/8 inch from a big limo) and a 1 " for the rear off a Lincoln. Just a few mods and my car handles like a sports car 1/2 it's weight. I think I spent just over a day doing the mods and it didn't cost me but $100.00 bucks for the whole thing. Head down to the local yard and do some investigating your options.
    Good luck.
    Dave