Wagons at local cruise tonight and a Roadmaster Estate Wagon with rear skirts!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 72KingswoodEstate, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here are some pics I snapped tonight of some wagons I spotted at a local cruise... AND a early 90s Roadmaster Estate wagon with rear fender skirts!!

I don't know about this? Love it or hate it? The car had a for sale sign in it - with a western North Carolina phone number.

Looks like some "cold natured" people were looking at it... long sleeves in mid August. lol.

Oh, also - there was lady in her 30s showing this car to her little girl... she kept saying "I am going to teach you something... this is a station wagon, this is like a car they had on the Brady Bunch except this one is a little newer", (which it is newer - but they had a Plymouth, lol). However, I think she also mumbled something to her about this being a 1970s station wagon. lol. She then went over and started speaking to the people that I think owned it... I think they told her it was actually a 90s model. lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here was another one on the next street over that was spotted on the way to the cruise...

[​IMG]

This old Vista Cruiser was just before we got to the above wagon... definitely needs some TLC... there is usually always an old Vista Cruiser on this street. This one was being pulled by a truck with Arizona license plates... it was a rental truck, so I guess the car could have been from anywhere. Ironically on the way to the cruise we seen a '73 Vista Cruiser driving down the highway!! I didn't get a chance to get a pic. :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was going to start a similar thread, so I'll just piggy-back on this one. Here's some pics of 2 wagons I saw at a cruise tonight. The first one is owned by a guy named Tom who was coming back from the H.A.M.B. Drag Races in Joplin, MO. He stopped by the Platte City cruise night (he was spending the night in Platte City on his way back to Iowa). He puts a lot of miles on this wagon and it has a 250 ci straight 6 with 3 on the tree. He had two young teen boys with him - one was his son, the other his son's buddy. They were having a good time. Here's their wagon:
    tom_wagon_2640x381.jpg tom_wagon_1640x480.jpg

We exchanged email addresses and he asked me to email him these pics. While we talked, I told him about our forum and he said he would check it out.

While I was at an earlier show, there was only one other wagon and it was a beauty:
    wagon_2013_cruise_nkc640x480.jpg

Had a really cool satin bronze/gold paint job, beautiful all wood surf board and detailed 4 cylinder engine. Really sharp!

3. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Those skirts do give that RMW's rear a 50's Nash look. :)
    They would look a lot better if they weren't on an angle and if the stainless trim carried through on the tops of them.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I agree. I do like the look but would try to find a stainless piece to add to the upper section.
    Nice photos. We saw very few station wagons on our trip and while near Peoria,Ill. I'm sure there were some at the local car show July 27th.:clap:

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    i dunno...i'd like the skirts a lot more if it was lower !!!
    having skirts and still seeing that much wheel just seems wrong:drink:

thanx for the pics pal :camera:

6. argo

argo Space Cowboy

Wagon Garage:
    I personally am not a skirt fan when it comes to wagons. This is very easy to remedy, however, and would not dissuade me from acquiring it for myself.

7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I love seeing skirts on vehicles. Especially lowered vehicles.:)
    I also love seeing skirts on women. Then I like them better when much higher .:rofl2:
    I may be old. But I ain't dead !:rofl2:

8. argo

argo Space Cowboy

Wagon Garage:
    I like skirts on long sedans and coupes (I had an 84 Olds Ninety Eight 2 door with skirts, and my friend had a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood 4 door also with skirts). I also like a short skirt on my gal. I just don't like them on wagons.

9. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

The RMW with skirts is identical to one I saw the first week I had my car. I don't think he's a member of this club though. Just like new too.

10. BlueVista

The only females that wear skirts anymore are in the military or attend a parochial school. The things they wear and call skirts where half their butt shows below them are nothing but wide cloth belts.:rofl:

Do they call them wheel kilts in Scotland???:D

11. 200OZ

200OZ Well-Known Member

I can take 'em or leave 'em, but as Bluevista, and cat said, the stainless trim needs to carry onto the skirt. Here's a couple of pics of skirts done the "right" way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    200OZ I love that wagon and the fender pants are perfect.............:rofl2:

13. 200OZ

200OZ Well-Known Member

Fender pants.... Haha.

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Long long ago in a far away land called central Illinois several old guys I met called them FENDER PANTS and swore that's the real name for fender skirts.
    Ever since that time I've never really payed much attention to what old guys say. Now I are one and fender pants sounds more masculine. :rofl2:

15. BlueVista

Fender pants???
    Are the shorter ones called fender knickers??:rofl:
    My dad always talked about those knickers and how guys didn't get to wear long pants until they were in high school.:)

I have heard of wheel pants for airplanes.

That wagon has power rear vent windows. I used Pat's part and installation instructions on the SS forum to do the ones on my Custom Cruiser. Unless somebody else I don't know about did them too thát's the only RMW with them and now I have the only OCC with them.:) I'm going to wear those things out because I goof with around them so much.:rofl:

What???!...that accent mark is showing up above my small "ä" ????
    Huh???...what are the two dots above it now???
    My computer is haunted.:(