ROAD TRIP! 3642 Miles, family, friends, fast food, Spring Carlisle!

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, May 3, 2013.

1. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome trip and glad it went without a major problem. I'll remember that idea for plugging a pinhole leak in a trans cooler line. Makes a lot of sense and should be a good temporary repair until you can swap on new lines!

[​IMG]

This is a heck of a deal for $3999! I'll take mine with two more doors and you can have the rallys!

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was a great trip. Loved seeing all the pictures. Looks like we photographed some of the same cars at Spring Carlisle.

3. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome thread Mike!! I'm with the guys here, feel like I've been on a road trip all morning. Thanks for all the great pics!

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Mike. What an adventure! Loved going along for the ride and the show was nice!
    My wife enjoyed the photos and my reading to her about your redneck adventures. I've never tried duct tape but the cutting hose thing even works on a heater hose for awhile.
    I will say this-----you are crazy! Last thing I think of on a trip is washing my vehicles. Lucky if I rearrange the bugs on the windshield.
    What are the laws on leaving license tags on a vehicle and traveling? I always remove them.
    Also, I still haven't figured out how to add all those full sized photos This had to keep you busy. :thumbs2:

5. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

i was at spring Carslile in 89 and saw a restored Challenger for $10,000

Said to the guy i know where a 17,000 mile origional is for that $,he wanted to see it now.

I had just arrived so i gave him my card and said call tomorrow and i'll put you in touch with the owner.

He asked if i could bring it to corvettes at carslile i said no im not into tupperware!The bunch of guys standing there got quiet and actually stepped back a few steps.

Apperently he was a classic vette guy.

He did come back in a few weeks and bought the chally and a unrestored gtx.

Brokering them i made $400 and a set of big block valve covers.

Not bad for 3 hrs work.

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    "im not into tupperware!"
    I've been around Corvettes much of my life. Never heard that. We lived around 50 miles from Bloomington, Illinois where the original Bloomington Gold shows were held. Went on several day trips from the show field, always on parts of old rt 66. Couldn't believe the thrill those rides were.
    Lucky for us our orange Corvette was easy to spot among a field of mostly red ones, which I actually wanted. Ours was some sort of special edition with a combo cloth/brown leather interior in the same cloth materials our 1977 Dodge motorhome had!
    The only one I owned was 1977 T-top coupe after our three kids were out. Yep one of those second childhood things. But can't haul kids in a Vette. Actually we did. We ended up adopting our first grandbaby and I built a third center rear seat out of a child's plastic lawn chair. All legal, covered in vinyl to match and attached using the T--top mounts and extra seat belts.
    No matter how old, new, or expensive the Corvette, everyone was friendly. But I noticed if you were around many owners someplace and you didn't have one many were snobs! Much the same around sports car people. But I always noticed this among different car groups. I hope station wagon owners are not snobbish around anyone.

7. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

Yeah it is! Considering at a show I was at a couple weekends ago one was listed at 6K! Oh and I'll take the rallys and make it a wagon! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Thanks for the story and all the pictures! One day I'll make it there and have a full weekend out of it. Oh and I really love the Z-28, that color is just awesome!

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You always post great pics and great commentary. I really enjoyed every bit, I read the entire story. I was about to tease you about taking the time to swap out a radio and you didn't take a few minutes to remove the tree bites from the cowl on the Blazer...

[​IMG]

when you guys stopped to wash the trucks, silly me.

Thanks for the road trip, it's still been a bit cool here, I REALLY enjoyed it. (y)

9. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! I love road trips. Been too long since I've had the good fortune to go on any of any significance. Thanks for sharing yours, it made for great reading.

And your son is one lucky little guy, and so is your Dad to both come home with new wheels to enjoy. I can see them getting a tad frumpy on a long trip when not used to it.

As usual Mike you did a neat thing for those two and in turn yourself. I have a friend who was always doing stuff for his dad and one day his dad said to him and I - well, I figured it out. You are just doing this so when I pass you come by it legitimately and don't have to go through the whole wife approval things. How can she say no to something you inherited from your father. We laughed till we couldn't stand up any more, just thinking about it. Several years later my friend said you know, Dad was right in a way although I hadn't figured it all the way through but often when I got him something in the back of my mind I know I was thinking get him the red one, he may not like red, but I do.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :lolup:

This is great! Ha!

And glad you all liked my long rambling adventure. I'll say this, it was fun but I'm glad to be home!

-Mike

11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Fannie sez---- remove the tree bites from the cowl on the Blazer...

I noticed that too. Looks like Spanish Moss to me. Wonder how the heater worked? Isn't that where it sucks air in?
    Also about swapping the radio. In the 8+ years and 70,000 miles on my truck I'll bet the radio hasn't been on 8 hours. My wife keeps me entertained most of the time. Even when I do turn on the radio!:slap:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the Saturday morning entertainment, Mike! I read through it all and enjoyed the adventure.(y) With all that was going on...you got out pretty darn lucky! Could have been more and worse problems.:D Wish I would have spent more of that kind of quality time with my dad. You are lucky to have this time together....you will know it more after he is gone.:yup:
    And, by the way, nice score!:thumbs2:

13. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need the radio to drown out all my children!! :slap:

And yes that tree garbage in the cowl vents was driving me nuts that first day, but Dad HAD TO GET OUT OF NEW JERSEY and would only stop for gas. Ha! I was really glad we found that car wash in Virginia and got all three cars cleaned up. Made the rest of the trip more enjoyable!

Can't road-trip in a dirty car! :disagree:

-Mike

14. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I lived away from my parents for 10 years after college. I was really happy they chose to retire here in Austin. My grandfather (Dad's Dad) passed away in his 50's, heart attack, and my father and he did not get to spend any real time together. I'm really glad my Dad is still around, is a car and bike nut like me, and that we can do all this stuff together.

Really looking forward to seeing him pull up in his running Z28 with the t-tops off in the near future. Granpa needed an old Camaro to stay young!! :rofl2:

-Mike

15. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

I love to start a road trip in a clean car, but a GOOD road trip means I come home with a FILTHY car. Dirt roads, back roads, you name it. Love getting mud on the tires!