Sad day for the world today

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Safari57, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A very sad day in Newtown, Connecticut.

I have watched this unfold through the day and my heart hurts for all those families who have lost loved ones today. I leaves a hollow feeling as you wonder how something so horrible could happen to so many children and protectors.

Some days it seems like a very dark cloud is hanging over parts of the world, leaving pain, agony and empty lives for many.

Our prayers go out to all involved.

2. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Just a few days ago, we had the shooting at Clackamas Town Center (2 innocent dead and 1 injured) here in town and today, so many innocent lives were tragically taken. :cry:

I pray that we as a community (all of us, regardless of state or country) can come together in unity and support each other and be strong together. I pray that we can look out for each other and be safe in our schools and communities. I hope that we've seen the last of these horrible tragedies.

I have hugged my kids about a thousand times, it seems, this week. If you ask them...it's probably no more than I normally do (...but dad! how many times do you need hugs from us?...). But I think I've hugged them just a little bit longer and a little bit tighter than normal this week.

I encourage everyone to give your loved ones at least one extra hug. Make the phone call you've been meaning to make...but haven't yet. Smile at people you don't even know...pass on some positive feelings. Here's hoping that our world can soon be happy once again.

3. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very sad. Was sitting in the lunch room at work with 5 others when we found out. I don't think 2 words were spoken and no lunch eaten as everyone just sat there. The sorrowful look said it all.
    Thoughts and prayers for the families.

4. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Disgusting! If someone wishes to end the world of their worthless selves, by all means go for it, but NEVER include innocent people, especially babies who have not yet enjoyed life. I get choked up easily these days, being away from my family for almost 10 months has changed me drastically. This really hit home hard for me. I just don't get the ignorance and selfishness of some people.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

This does make you reflect, personal problems etc are nothing worth commenting on after this, The young who never had a chance to live and those who must go on after young and older, the countless lives that have been changed forever because of this......... a act of pure cowardness....

I am not a relgious man, but at times like this I do pray there is a HELL and all it's evil eternal fury for the coward that destroyed so many lives and familys.........

6. RoadmasterWB4

RoadmasterWB4 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Haven't seen any video yet, but I've been listening on the radio - very, very sad. I'm sure I'll feel worse after seeing video.

Just depressing.

7. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know about you all but it occurs to me that this type of event is happening more and more. It's like peoples moral compass has gone on the fritz. For the life of me I can't imagine the mind of a person who would do this kind of thing, why take so many innocent lives, why not just take your own? If the end result is a bullet in your own head why kill the innocent first? We as people will never understand, and answers for this kind of behavior dies with the sad and twisted individual.

God bless those wee ones who died scared and confused. God bless the teachers who put themselves in harms way to protect them. Take them all into your loving arms I pray.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    How do families and a community recover after such a loss?

We had three teenagers die in a car accident one year just before Christmas it was tragic, but we all seemed to be a little closer in the days following. I can't understand how these poor people will handle the grief they must be dealing with.

9. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

It's times like these that remind me of a man who was once my neighbor. I lived in a small apartment building on Main St in Joplin. I never knew how to feel about this guy. He was kind and generous and despite his devout religious nature he was always respectful of my views. Anyways, I spent a lot of time with him and there was one night that he and I spent most of the night hanging out talking in the buildings lobby. After many subject changes he glided over how he had a hard life. He had a health problem that caused severe disfigurement on top of his tough life. He also shared with me a thought that caught me off guard. He told me that he was both sad and grateful when a child died. Sad because they died so young. Grateful because they didn't have to experience the horror of the world. I never knew how to feel about that back then. Even he seed so confused by how he felt. I am the kind of man that constantly seeks for examples of humanity's good and bad. I have found many things for both. In my mind its like I am responsible for humanity's fate. Burn or grow. I find myself living my life as though humanity will survive and become so much more than it is now. I feel that despite the awful and despicable nature of this event... Zoe and I just cried when we watched the news. I cried today. I have been to a baby's funeral and it is the worst experience I have ever been through. No one and I mean NO ONE should ever survive their children or have to go to a child's funeral. I don't know... I can't explain how horrible this is and how undedescribably sorry I am that this sad I am that happened. I can't imagine how they feel...

In one way it's like what has humanity come to and then to see how everyone came together and they got the rest of the kids out of the school.

How do you see humanity...

I'm so sorry...

Not all humans are bad. Most are mostly good...

Again, I'm sorry

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Working with kids everyday in our public school system, this event hit me like a ton of bricks of course. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and the babies and courageous teachers and administrators affected by this horrible act.

A management prof I had in college, a retired Marine, always told us the "world was going to Hell in a hand basket." And this was 35 yrs ago! As I get older I have to agree. The June and Ward Cleaver families are still out there though, but they're being overshadowed it seems by the actions of a few and the reactions of many who attempt control by legislating more rules and laws restricting our freedoms.

We need a serious return in this country to the core values our fore fathers had, where the mark of a man or women was not determined by their tweets or their social media presence in cyber space, but by their actions and accomplishments in real life. Look at modern TV and Hollywood.........what are young people being shown on the big and little screens these days?

I would appreciate hearing input from our international friends on how their countries deal with these problems if they could share.

11. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i was in tears, Delaney is 3 so she is close to that age. it breaks my heart double because its so close to Christmas. Im hugging Delaney tighter.

12. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I was raising three children the same age. There was a young boy taken back east and two little girls who disappeared just north of me in Washington State. All three were found weeks later dead and molested before being murdered violently. In those cases it was a knife used on the little girls and a rope around the little boys neck. (sick people)

In my opinion then as now, I would have wished my children to die quickly if evil were to take them. At any rate I had a talk with each of my brood in private and shared the news so that they would remain informed of the big picture: that there is evil in this world and they are to stay aware of their surroundings and never put your self in a situation that leads to becoming a victim. (The oldest girl barely over 5ft, now legally wears a little 9mm on her hip but that is beside the point.)

Never had a problem losing a child, thanks to God and my continued prayers for their safety.

Now they are grown, moved out and in one case... have a child of her own.
    (Yeah, as of 3 weeks ago... Jairus is a Grandfather)

The big picture is that there is evil in this world. Banning guns does nothing of course but create un-armed victims for unchecked evil. My opinion is that it's all due to America giving up our "Christian Nation" status over to a purely secular society.
    That might be just me, but if you will remember the Democratic voice vote on the floor of the last convention trying to remove God from the platform?
    God's blessing is gradually being removed from the country due to the "war on Christmas", "Gay Marriage laws" being passed in multiple states, and the emptying of churches in large metropolitan areas. People are raising fewer and fewer children to know and respect a higher power than themselves.
    It is easier to govern a people if they receive their moral structure from a supreme being, rather than from a government made up of people that is largely un-governed. (read corrupt)

So... in a sense it actually is as Rev Jeremiah Wright Jr said: "The chickens have come home to roost"!

13. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

:rant:
    I'm angry.
    It would appear that a lot of these idiots are coming off their meds.
    http://ssristories.com/
    The other reason I am angry is that the US has easy access to firearms and even CCW.
    Adults have a responsibility to protect the children in their charge.
    The Israelis put an armed guard at every elementary school.
    Staff don't have to carry weapons if that's their choice.
    You have the tools to minimize the effects of these events.
    But they are useless if you don't pick them up and use them.
    There is no way any perpetrator should be allowed the privilege of taking their own life.
    It should be ended by a "good guy" with a gun.
    We shoot rabid animals.
    I just don't see any excuses for these things getting so out of hand. :mad:

This touched us here in Winnipeg.
    Jimmy Greene is a great American jazz saxophonist who taught here at the University for 3 years.
    My wife shared the stage with him a couple of times.
    He just moved back to Connecticut last July. He and his family were known and loved by a lot of musicians and their church congregation.
    His daughter was one of the victims.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  14. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

And it's not about guns.
    The media hype has been saying the is the worst massacre at a school in American history.
    Apparenty they don't check their facts because the worst one was in 1927, the Bath School Massacre:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
    The perpetrator used fire and bombs, not guns, to kill 38 kids and injure 58.
    But then that wouldn't fit their anti-gun rhetoric now would it?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  15. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotoMike [​IMG]
    I would appreciate hearing input from our international friends on how their countries deal with these problems if they could share.

Deb was talking to her sister who is a principal in Ontario for a elemantary school. For years the school has taken the practice of all doors are a 1 way lock, you can get out but you can't get in unless the front office opens the door. Before kids arive all teachers share the resposibility of 2 teachers at every door and if a parent wants in,,,,go to the main door and wait, no exceptons. The school also has a large "bouncer" presence of trusted parents who volentere there time at lunches etc. This all came about before Deb's sister started there, due to a threat that a Dad who was divorsed was going to abduct his child from the school, thankfully it never happened but the lock down mentality, for safty remained.

The rite to bare arms....... Put in the constitution for when the feer of Britsh invation was about....200+ years ago. Stupidly out dated IMO.

I being Canadian have a privalige to bare arms, not a rite! And if I ever needed my riffle for protection, by the time I found the key, ran to my gun safe, then unlocked the triger, then load the weapon (can't be stored loaded)..... sh**, my bace ball bat is weapon of first choice!

Sadly, none of our ranting will bring those children back. I am the first to realize guns don't kill people, people do and the gun laws in the US need to be changed.