Some people are just stupid - part III - 1964 300

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by moparandfomoco, Mar 8, 2012.

1. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Hey guys, back from Albuquerque and check this out...who junks a 1964 Chrysler 300 two-door to a scrap metal place? Thank god it wasn't a letter car, BUT it was still a two door hardtop that looked pretty straight before they mangled it. By the way, thats a 67 Plymouth Fury 2 dr post a couple cars up.....You would think someone would have had the brains to post the 300 for sale, and it would have found a buyer maybe in Sweden or Norway, BUT NOOOO. What a shame, I really dig those 62-64 fullsize Chryslers. On the plus side, I did see a 70 Pontiac Catalina wagon near my house on Monday...sure was nice...

Attached Files:

2. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

There are people that look at any car, no matter what era and just go "its just a car. Gets me from point A to point B". And when they stop working or ends up being a pain to deal with, they just dump it. This is another prime example that slipped through the cracks.

My generation and the one after mine are very much like this. No romance with things, no pleasure in rebuilding something to last longer. Just dump it and buy a new one. The looks I would get from kids in college in the mid '00s when I rebuilt the carb on my '77 or changed the drive belt on my 8 track tape player, the look of confusion and "WTF".
    :rofl2:

3. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    how true and a repayment to boot with the new method of transport no dought

4. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

You have a good point, Wagnut. At one point my wife was kind of like that in a more watery form, hard to explain thoroughly. Now she has an appreciation that reflects what we all feel here on the Forum...

I think that a conversation her and I had last night actually relates to this. Zoe has had professional chef's experience. She is an excellent cook to say the least. Despite how modern we are we are also old fashioned in many ways. Like how we make our own ground meat. Seems like nothing much but it really does save money and you get better quality in the end. It doesn't take long and I swear that the effort alone makes it taste better. She told me last night that there has been a growing interest in old world style cooking among the younger generations. This partially or mostly due to the economy. Food isn't the only thing I'm sure. It is a slow process but it is still happening. With cars I bet that the same will happen. Years ago, before we knew better, we wanted a newer car because we thought that older ones were too thirsty. We bought a used 2000 Suzuki Esteem. Fantastic car. It got destroyed when we got rear ended. I was feeling nostalgic for a wagon and Zoe said no and I had to agree because I thought we couldn't afford the gas. So we ended up with our current learning experience... A 2003 KIA Optima. This is when we started getting smarter. I have had to do so much work on this car it is amazing. There were several times we thought about selling, trading, or even scrapping it, but in the end it was just easier and cheaper to fix it Now it only has a couple things left to fix and it is for sale. Not pushing the sale too hard though. We are still fixing it as we get the money for the parts. It has become a great experience for me and Zoe. We don't want to keep the KIA and we want a wagon. I just hope that the interest in old world cooking spreads to cars, and other things for that matter. We would all be better off for it. Sadly though, there will always be the "WTF" types out there...

5. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am that way with people. Point A to Point B. Once they start being a pain to deal with I just dump 'em. :)

Cars on the other hand. I always see them in their finished form. This is what they could be, kinda thing.

6. FordWagonNut1979

HA HA HA, awesome!

When I get asked by someone "Well don't you trust me?" I look behind them, see what they are driving. If its something I can work with, I reply "No, you can't fix stupid but I can trust your car since I can fix that".
    :rofl2:

7. FordWagonNut1979

As time passes, there are people that pick up on the reasoning of why people go back to a simpler ideal and set of rules. When something works, its proven it self to be loyal, don't try to "fix it".

For example. On a Volvo S80, to replace the window motor, it's not a hard job. But once the new motor is in, the car will not recognize it. You have to download new software for the car to know it has to send power to the harness and communicate with the rest of the on board computers.

Want to talk about a cluster and over complication of things! LoL

8. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

I don't remember what kind of car it was that my parents had, it might have been a 90s Crown Vic, but the motor on the driver seat had stopped working. My dad let me take a look at it even though I was only 14 but I had been working with electronics since I was 9 and have always had a somewhat natural ability to work with and understand the mechanical side of electronics. I took the motor out and dissected it. One of the little magnetic things inside had broken. I assumed that this was the cause. So I reversed the positions and re-installed the motor. It would now be able to move in the opposite direction. It had been moved all the way forward by someone just messing with the controls and my dad was a large man. He was able to drive it again. Point is, I guess, that ... Okay I don't really have a point I just felt like sharing that story because I feel like it relates somehow.

Over complicated... Ha, my KIA is a great example of that. The engine has three belts when it only needs two. The alternator is in a stupid place and to really get to it I would have to jack the car up because it is on the bottom of the engine right in front of the passenger. At least the battery is in the correct place and not behind one of the wheel or in the trunk.

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    What still confuses me, among two million other things, is why car guys say they need to change their engines to a serpentine belt system. I have been driving for way longer than I'd like to admit. Had two fanbelts break. One on a 1954 Ford V-8. With luck there was a small gas station near. Hanging on a back wall of this small station were thousands of fan belts. The attendant even insisted he install it free after I bought it.

I'll admit Bubba's service stations and attendants went the way of the Do Do Bird.

The other was with the 1955 Chevy because stuborn me told my son the pulleys looked aligned. They were't and it threw the belt someplace as we went to a cruise-in. Checked to see why it wasn't charging then drove 25 miles to nearest town for a new belt. Didn't get warm till stop and go traffic.

Point is, since 1955 I've lost two belts which were simple to replace without a fancy wrench or socket thingie. It would take three monkeys and special tools to help me replace the belt on my Dodge truck.I see billit serpentine uodate kits for over $2000. Why? A new belt costs $10-$15 for the old style engine. Yes, it will wear out in maybe 10 years. So do those fancy flat belts.
    Us car guys complain the automakers make things complicated. Then we just help them.:rofl2:Some people really are stupid!