Volvo guys!!!!! I might be getting my sister-in-law into wagons!!!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 1967 Tempest, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    She had a Dodge Caravan with like 200000 miles on it. The block cracked and they totaled it.

I have been looking for replacement cars. I found a 1986 Volvo Wagon DL240. Fantastic condition with 120,000 miles on it. I am going to talk to the previous owner today, but she might be in that WAGON!!!

From what I have read, the Volvo's run forever with regular oil changes and maintenance.

Any one owned a Volvo???

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

My son had a 76 245. Great little wagon. I think it was the 2.3 inline 4 and it was strong. He got it with 208,000 and used it until 212,000. I should have bought it from him. The only thing wrong that I didn't fix was the a/c and heater blower motor.

3. 1967 Tempest

Wagon Garage:
    They seem ultra-reliable. Plus this thing has heated seats!! In 1986!!!

4. Dented Fenders

Dented Fenders ATX assassin

(puts on Volvo parts hat)

The 240 is one reliable tank of a car. Fast? No. Stylish? Not really. Reliable, solid, tank in the snow? Oh yeah. If you do end up with it, I wish you good luck. Parts are becomming harder and harder to find for them, lots have gone obsolete from my parts catalogue. But there are good aftermarket suppliers I can refer you to if need be. (been a Volvo parts professional for 5.5 years now.)

(takes off Volvo parts hat)

What's a Volvo? :rofl:

5. 1967 Tempest

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks!!!! Yeah, Ive heard that they are a tad hard to find parts for, but I am a Pontiac guy so I am familiar. Yeah the Volvo wagon is Ugly cute. Kinda like an ugly dog. Sooner or later they grow on ya..

6. Dented Fenders

That is true. I certainly wouldn't mind having one myself. To put a 302 in, of course.

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :2_thumbs_up_-_anima Way to go 67...if she is half as excited as you are she'll be one happy wagon owner... did you give her our address here?

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

+1 on the 240's reliability, some friends had one they rolled up mega miles on.

9. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My wife has a Volvo 940 turbo and it's great. They can last a long time. I disagree with Dented fenders in that they can be fast and the styling is more a matter of taste. But I am not sure your sister in law is interested in making more power or modifying it in any way. And BTW if it is an automatic with Overdrive and the OD goes out it's a cheap an easy fix.

10. Dented Fenders

Yes, they can be fast. And it's not too hard to make them that way, either. I'm just sayin in stock form is all. That 2.3 is a gutless wonder haha

11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    The only Volvos I really liked were those old ones that looked like 1948 Ford sedans.
    If I had a newer one today I'd drop a 350 Chevy in it. Not a stinkin 302 Ford. :29:Just sayin!:rofl2:

12. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I'm a crash survivor of a '81 240 wagon. Along with that, the movie "The Day After" that I watched as a four year old got me into Volvos. Enough not to not only own them but work on them for a living (till I went back to college).

I have had 5 240s in my life, ALL have been wonderful little Swedish bricks. There are little things that wig out (like O/D switches or headlamp switches) but they are trusty little beasts and very easy to work with. 120k and well serviced? Heck, shes not even broken in yet.

IPD out of Portland Ore is great place to find Volvo 240 stuff and a staff that knows about them and love the 240 series as well!

The Day After clip of why at 4 years old, the Volvo 240 made such an impact on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We fixed our 940 OD issues with IPD's little plate. Worked like a charm.

14. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

They sure know there stuff man! I would like to get a hold of another '75 to '85 240 wagon without rust issues. It would be my local MPG run around car so my 04 Mustang doesn't add up on the miles.

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I just got an e mail from my friend that had the 240 wagon, he reported they rolled up 750,000 miles on it before they donated it away. He's going to look to see if they have any pictures of it.
    More info: one engine rebuild needed when he let it overheat one night, no trans work at all, not even a clutch, it was a 1987 240 model.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012