66 Longroof project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RMay, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well here I go again. I just can't leave things as they are. Always liked 66 Chevelles. Had an SS in high school and sold one a couple of years ago before I got it finished. After cutting up a 56 Chevy 2dr wagon to make my own version of an ElCamino, I decided I now wanted a 2dr wagon. 56 or 58 Chevy sounded interesting but since I still really wanted a 66 Chevelle I decided why not make my own 2dr Nomad.
    On a trip to Michigan for the Dream Cruise in 2012, my Son Tony and I checked out a running 66 Malibu listed on Detroit Craigslist. Long story short I zipper plated it and drove it back to Tony's house.
    Now the fun began deciding what I wanted to do. I have started by designing a diecast model and recently got most of the major body components I need for conversion. Most came from a 66 ElCamino that I bought in PA and ended up totally disassembling it untill all I had left was the frame. I had been doing some necessary sheetmetal repairs on the wagon one night then I took to making some (no going back now) cuts on the wagon.
    This one may take awhile. I see lots of measuring, fitting and welding in my future.

6/13
    I have the door and quarter fitted on the right side. After hanging the door, I did a lot of trimming and fitting for the quarter which included the door post and rocker. After finally clamping it in place, I swung the door closed and found it all lined up great. Out came the welder and I tacked everything in place before calling it a day. I hope I have similar success with the other side.
    Finished all the floor pan repairs which involved 2 new front pans and a couple of smaller patches. The left side door pillar has been has been removed and the quarter trimming process will begin soon.
    I found a bench seat with a fold down armrest out of a 70 Skylark that fits perfect. I am also seriously thinking about a red interior but not sure on a body color I might like.

12/13
    This fall I finished fitting everything to the left side of the car. No turning back now so it is officially a 2 door wagon. I played around with a few 50's and 60's wagon side window designs but could not settle on one I really liked. One afternoon I took the original C-pillar I had removed, cut it narrower and placed it in a similar location like the Tri-5 Nomads. Next I did a little reshaping using the original 66 stainless window trim to get the correct angles. A little more shape modification was necessary on the B-pillar and I had a design shape that I liked. I made a pattern so both sides would be the same and then welded everything in place. My design will have a fixed quarter glass toward the back and a slider glass where the rear passenger seat is. Both windows will be trimmed out with original 66 wagon stainless that I can cut to fit. Hopefully this will give it a "factory" look and maybe confuse a few people. Now I have to go shopping to find another set of stainless trim so I will have enough pieces for both sides.
    Did a little TLC work on the front fenders eliminating all emblem and antenna holes. They are now with a friend for finish body work and primer. Still looking at color ideas that will go with a red interior. If I can settle on a color I can have him cut in all the body panel edges after he primes the parts.

Attached Files:

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome RMay! Great into and pics, looks like a great project that's coming along nicely. Good luck picking a color, always a tough one.
    :Welcome:

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Rmay, that's amazing work. You're right; when you get it done, it's definitely going to confuse some people because it'll look like it came out of the factory that way. You must be so excited seeing the progress you're making. We have another member who's making a two door Buick Estate Wagon. He was pretty far along when it got pretty badly damaged by a hail storm. Not sure of what the status is now and I forget his name.
    Keep it up and by all means post the pictures of your project. It's going to be really something, for sure.

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well it looks like it's coming along nicely...

[​IMG]

I wonder if WM can move this thread to the restoration section:confused:

6. Longroof79

Longroof79 Well-Known Member

:Welcome: aboard man!
    I love what you've done so far. I know they didn't make a 2-dr wagon in '66.
    The B-pillars look great. Keep up the good work.
    I've wanted to do a 2-dr version of my wagon, but kinda chickened out.

Jack

7. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard RMay!
    I will definitely be following your project - excellent work!

8. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I did check this out and like what he has done so far. It was an older thread so hopefully some updates with pictures will show up.

New to site and thought I did post in projects. How can I get my thread moved? Thanks

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

WAY
    down at the very bottom of every page (right above where it says 'V Bulletin'....) there's a narrow info bar with one option being 'Contact Us'. Click on that, and a message window will open, already filled out with you as the sender. Put your message in, with maybe a link to the thread you want moved, then hit 'Send'.......easy peasy.

10. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Thread moved. You can also "report a post" by clicking on this icon[​IMG].

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madness RMay! That is an ambitious project you have there. The other member doing a similar 2 door wagon that was referred to is probably David from Dallas, wixom61. He's making a 2 door '72 Buick Estate.

052.jpg

:Welcome:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  12. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks guys for information to move my post to the correct forum. Sorry for any confusion. I'll get the hang of it.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck Member

Wagon Garage:
    :thumbs2: Looking real good!

14. specialwagon65

specialwagon65 WOT Tester

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice project RMay- have you seen the Buick 2-door Sportwagon creation?
    (for sale - I think I saw it in Hemmings).

15. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

Wish I hadn't gone and looked here...........now I want to do that with the 67 Chevelle wagon............