New, future wagon owner!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by LeonLinton, Jul 17, 2021.

1. LeonLinton

LeonLinton Member

Hi there! The name is Leon and I am a sixteen-year-old composer with a penchant for station wagons.
    As a resident of the UK, I'm currently not old enough to drive yet - nevertheless, I'm determined to have a wagon as my first car and am on the hunt for one (my dream car is an '88-'91 Country Squire). Thanks for reading my post!

2. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

welcome to the group and good luck finding the right wagon...

LeonLinton likes this.
  3. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Leon, hope you don't have to search to long for the longroof you wish to acquire. Again welcome and enjoy your stay.....Longroofs Rule!

LeonLinton likes this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Leon! It's always a treat to meet young enthusiasts such as yourself. Good luck in your search for your dream car. :thumbs2:

60Mercman and LeonLinton like this.
  5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What's the age in England that you're allowed to get a driver's license? And, what's the procedure? Here in the U.S., each state (and the District of Columbia) licenses it's own resident drivers. Most allow a 'learner's permit' at 15 1/2, and a full license at 16. To get your license, you pass a written (multiple choice) test, and also take a 15-minute (or so) 'behind the wheel' test with an Examiner. Pass both, you get your license. At least that was how it was done in California, when I got my license in 1967..... Don't think much has changed since then.......

AND....... Welcome to the forum!

Marshall

LeonLinton likes this.
  6. LeonLinton

LeonLinton Member

In the UK, the driving age is 17. At 15 years, 9 months, it is permitted to get a provisional license which I suppose would be similar to the learner's permit you speak of in the US - a person with one may drive on roads, excluding motorways, if there is an instructor or someone else who has had a license for more than 3 years present in the vehicle. In order to obtain a full license, you must take a 1 hour written test that is multiple-choice, where you must get a score of at least 42/50 to pass. There is also a 40-minute practical test with an Examiner.

7. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Leon. ‘88-‘91 Squire ah? You are indeed a man of quality, and discernment. Good luck on your hunt. I have several late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s Grand Marquis. That is a really great body style and with the 302/EFI your fuel mileage shouldn’t be killer either. Post pictures if you come across anything.

LeonLinton likes this.