three seat wagon to haul grandchildren

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by chrisbayley, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

OK, why would'nt it be?

I drive old cars that cost more in gas, because they last, they don't break down often, you can fix thing in a instant most of the time, etc, etc

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Because we're talking about SAFETY, not how long the car lasts.

Actually, the longer you keep an old car, the less safe it is relative to the newest cars on the road which would incorporate the latest safety features.

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I never mentiond buy a "new" wagon in 99, in 99 they were still big $$ wagons witch I could not afford.

And as for recalls, I have not looked ot your links yet but I will mention even though I own a mini van....this is a wagon forum, Why the F**** would any one reply to a post when some one is looking for a wagon with "get a mini van"?

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

My offer stands on the 100k head on:29:

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Because it's a free country? Because he's concerned about the safety of the grandkids, and station wagon forum or not, it's reasonable to be serious for a minute and point out safety concerns in a situation like this?

You might not like his post, but you could argue objectively about why you disagree, not jump all over him with mindless rants about crashing cars in the middle of Canada.

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Yeah, I'll bet. Easy to say when you're in British Columbia and he's in Nova Scotia, a mere 5600 km away.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I'll start with your second coment first, At the time of the post sugesting a head on...it's freken joke, I don't want to spend time pulling mini van out of my rad:biglaugh:

Yeah, it is a free country (USA + Canada) I am thinking safty, I would never own one of those vans because of safty. My girl was under 10 years of age back then and constantly seeing news reports on TV about another crystler mini van getting rear ended, tail gate flying open, children...It Was Allways Children...getting throuwn out the back and being killed STUCK WITH ME!:mad:

8. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Shoot even a 20mph head on with most older wagons would be the end to about any minivan and probably a few passengers with their Pepsi can thick steel.

The point is, the OP wanted to buy a wagon, not a minivan, PERIOD! If he wanted a Minivan, he would have went to a site that was nothing but minivans, not a site about wagons. Then let a member who owns a wagon speak up about how wagons are safer then minivans or a better choice. Then your arguments to our arguments would be more then justified.

Now if you feel safe sticking your kids inside a can with seats that snap in and out with enuff ease that my 4 year old daughter could release them, then you go for it! The reason cars need crumple zones and air bags is because they are made as cheap and light as safety standards require. That concrete wall they test these lil tuna cans out on, might as well be a 72 Custom Cruiser, because the way the old cars were built, was rock solid as a brick wall! Tell me that a minivan is safer then a 76 Clamshell and then go test out your claim on one in a head on. I bet the Clamshell is drivable or atleast fixable where the Minivan is being chopped up, sent to china to me refined into low cost steel to then be shipped back to us to build more minivans.

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

You don't know this. He said he was interested in a wagon. He didn't say he was interested in a wagon "period."

You mean the rules are that only the people in favor of the wagon get to talk first? Get lost.

Yes, a '72 Custom Cruiser will win in an accident with a 2000 Dodge Caravan (maybe), but the Caravan will also lose in a collision with a 2008 Chevy Tahoe or Suburban. Every era has large and small vehicles, and one makes trade-offs in terms of safety, mileage, price, etc. when buying cars now just as one did back then. We could all go around in Sherman tanks and be perfectly safe, so why don't we?

Talk to me about "crumple zones." Your Roadmaster wagons, as big and heavy as they are, will crumple like a paper cup in a collision with an 18-wheeler, and there's a lot of those on the road. Everything is relative.

As I've said, front-end collisions aren't the only issue, and modern vehicles provide better overall safety as well as greater control than vehicles of a generation ago and before.

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Heres some food for thought, read this.....

This is only 1 of a hundreds regaurding safty, and the Crystler mini van....They stopped counting the deaths after 37.....I'm more than sure ore than that died in Canada alone.

http://www.safetyforum.com/cmv/

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Chris Bayley....the original poster said....

three seat wagon to haul grandchildren
    Some time in the next year I want to buy a 3 seat wagon with rear facing seat in the "way back" for hauling grandchildren

LMAO!!:rofl2: It was his first post. My guess is he won't be back.:disagree:

12. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Hey, I don't disagree that Chrysler minivans have had problems. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. GN300 just said "minvans are safer." He never specifically said that the OP should get a 2000 Chrysler minivan or get any particular minivan. He just said he should consider a minivan. And you're talking about problems that Chrysler vans had 15 and 20 years ago. That's old news. Yes, anyone looking for a minivan should avoid those. But that still leaves plenty of modern ones to choose from.

13. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    HUH???? Did you even read the OP(Original Posters) post?????? WAGON...... Not safest car that has a 3rd seat and if he did, it sure the blazes would not be a stinking Minivan. More like a Tahoe or Excursion would get my vote.
    Maybe? MAYBE???? Are you on the same planet as the rest of us? :rofl2:
    And what car, from 1900-2010 wouldn't lose to an 18 wheeler? LMAO!!!! :rofl2:
    You are right, there are rear end collsions as well as side impacts, both of which I will bet an older wagon would do much better then a new minivan. Even if they wouldn't, mininvans are not cool, not on a WAGON FORUM anyway!!!

14. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I was just about to ask you the same question. But you already answered it.

15. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    HAHAHA, out of all that was said, you chose to pick out only that little smidge of humor. That just shows that you are only reading what you want and taking it from there.