New guy here, 88 Buick Electra Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by DidUTouchMe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DidUTouchMe

DidUTouchMe New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello everyone, names Ryan. I'm new to the whole station wagon world, i've always wanted one but never had a chance but i finally bought one this week. I bought a 1988 Buick Electra Estate Wagon, got it for $400 and needs a lil work done to it to get it running right. Found out that parts are hard to find for this car. Heck Autozone don't even carry the hose i need that goes from the rad to the air filter(it's riddled with holes). think i have to replace the water pump aswell but other then that it just needs the usual tuneup with plugs and wires and filters. the interior is in awesome shape, i really like the Touch Control temperature controls. I will be asking questions and asking for advice since i'm still kinda young(25) and this being my first station wagon and first car with a carb instead of fuel injection. so far the only part i can't figure a name out for is the rubbery plastic pieces that go between the bumper and frame i think. other then that i got pretty much the rest figured out. i do plan on fixing this car up and hopefully take it to couple shows. So i hope i introduced myself pretty well but if not just ask away.

2. Erik Boattail

Erik Boattail Menior Sember

Ryan:

[​IMG]

Your wagon came with the 307 CI Oldsmobile V8, so keep that in mind when you're looking for parts.

I'm a bit puzzled by your description of this hose that runs from the radiator to the air filter.....[​IMG]
    Maybe you can post a few photos to point out what you mean ?

3. Erik Boattail

Is this what you're after ?

[​IMG]

Click here to visit the website [​IMG]

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Ryan! :Welcome: I'm a Fairmont/Ford Fox-body Wagon guy, but I've got one of those on my wagon as well as the rubber bumper protectors on the face of my aluminum bumpers. So I went looking for replacements a couple years ago and found this site, Erik knows his Buicks, so he's probably dead on the mark. This site has other plastic exterior parts for Buicks, heck almost every make!
    http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/buick.html

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/catalogue.html

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:Ryan. Good buy. Use your imagination on the hose. Find the right size and if it's shaped you can get one of those spring looking things to go over it and shape the hose without it kinking.:cheers:

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, Ryan. I had an 88 Electra wagon and it was my favorite of all time. Although, I did put a built 455 in it. Those box wagons are great cars. If you are talking about the fillers between the car and bumper they usually dry out and crack apart. Mine never did so I don't know where to find them. Show us pix! :camera::D

7. DidUTouchMe

DidUTouchMe New Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanx for the warm welcome guys, yeah i think they are the fillers that i need. i just didn't know what they were called. I will post pics in a day or two. The wagon is up at my work so i can work on it there with all the lifts and tools. but i will have pics and will update you guys on my progress. only issue i've had was figureing out the wires for the radio cause i put a aftermarket cd player in it. darn wires gave me a slight headache but got them figured out after a lil trial and error.

What can i do to this engine to increase my fuel mileage? i already went an got a K&N air filter but other then that i really don't know what i can do to it. like i said this is my first carb car.

8. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This ought to help with the radio issue:
    http://www.the12volt.com/

Read this about underhood filters:
    http://kennebell.net/faq/faq-answers1.htm

9. Erik Boattail

Interesting website with loads of tips for the 80's Oldsmobile 307 engine:

Performance Olds 307 [​IMG]

10. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The best you're going to do for gas mileage on that car is to ensure that the CCC system is operating correctly. As you noted, there are miles of vacuum hose on this engine. A leak in any one of them will screw up the system - and NOT set a code. Get a chassis service manual for your car and follow the adjustment process for the CCC system exactly as described. Do not take shortcuts. I spent a month of weekends getting mine set up right, but once it's set up, it runs great. Most mechanics are not old enough to remember how to work on these and only know how to read codes and replace parts. The CCC is a very early computer control system with limited memory and processing power. Most of the failure modes do not set codes so you need to understand basic troubleshooting.

11. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

:Welcome: Ryan. Good choice with the Estate Wagon. One of my all-time fave's. They are great cars. I want one for myself...or a Custom Cruiser. The touch auto-climate control in the Buicks are cool. For me, the seats in the Electra Estate Wagon are the best of the box-wagons. The LeSabre, Custom Cruiser and Safari seats just don't compare. The Caprice Estate (later years) seats are a close second.

I think I've narrowed my wish-list to an Electra Estate Wagon or Custom Cruiser (with all the toys...touch auto-climate control, Twilight Sentinel, cornering lamps, fiber optic lamp monitors, auto-dim rearview mirror, etc. etc...but no leather...hate leather). Now, I just need money...the "give to the greedy" foundation is now open and accepting donations. :)

Be sure to check at your local salvage yards for parts cars. If you see one...grab some parts and keep them as extras, since the parts are becoming more rare each day. A few parts are interchangeable with the 1980-1984 Electra and Park Avenue. Depending on what parts you are looking for, you can get some parts from other GM "Box wagons" (1977-1990 Buick LeSabre or Electra Estate Wagons, Chevrolet Impala or Caprice Classic wagons, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville/Parisienne/Safari wagons). The trim is what differentiates most of these wagons from each other...the running gear is largely similar among them.

Oh, and by the way...we need our fix for pics!!! :camera:

12. Erik Boattail

[​IMG]

I agree on that [​IMG] !!

Check this page at the Olds 307 website in my previous post:

Understanding the ECM & System [​IMG]

13. DidUTouchMe

DidUTouchMe New Member

Wagon Garage:
    i'll check those sites out on my lunch hour today. yeah theres only one guy up here at the shop that knows really how to work on this car. i did get a lil key looking thing that i put in the upper left 2 slots of the hookup under the dash for a system scanner. I put the lil key thing in the 2 slots i mentioned and start the car and i read the light on the dash to read the codes. it gave me one code when i tested after i bought it. it gave me a Code 34. has something to do with the mapping system i beleive.

dang those bumper fillers are expensive. prolly check the local yards or perhaps i can come up with a substitute.

oh yes i love the seats in thing. i'm going to probably put a set of 12 inch subwoofers in it and 2 amps. I gave up on tryin to find the right size speakers for the rear pillars and just cut holes and installed some 5 1/2 inch speakers now i gotta replace the 4x6's in the dash. Yeah i found that diagram on 12volt after i had figured it all out. have to find a spot on the firewall to run the power wires into the car from the battery.

i know i gotta replace the gasket on the thermostat now cause when it runs it spits coolant out around the thermostat, hopefully i fix that leak and it will quit goin through a antifreeze so fast. basically i quit puttin anitfreeze in it and i only drove it like 7 miles yesterday to my work so i can leave it there and work on it and before i left i filled the anitfreeze resivour with water and by the time i got to my work it was completely empty. so i think after i fix the thermostat and it still goes through it like crazy i'll check the water pump and the rad.

the body i'm just gonna end up leaving the woodgrain on it since it's in pretty good shape other then the drivers side front fender which has surface rust under the woodgrain making it bubble. but i will end up painting the rest of the car flat black, take the hubcaps off paint the wheels flat black and pop some beuty rings on it with a chrome center cap. does anyone know of any type of headlight covers or anything along those lines? kinda like mooneyes or GTO tinted covers. i haven't looked to see if anyone makes diff tail lights for it, perferbaly LED.

Oh and to the guy looking for car like mine, the same guy i bought mine off of had a second one for sale but the thing bout the second one is, it's a buick electra estate that was made into a hearse.

14. Erik Boattail

I remember that one of the board members at V8Buick.com made those bumper fillers out of aluminium [​IMG]
    (Or "aluminum" in your funny dialect....) :)

15. DidUTouchMe

DidUTouchMe New Member

Wagon Garage:
    yeah that's what i was thinking for the fillers aswell. i have some sheet metal laying around that is rather thin that i thought bout just cutting to shape and tack it in and take a lil bit of bondo to smooth out the transition and cover the welds. i can do body work myself and most mechanical. no dialect,lol. i'm just at work and spelling is not on the top of my list of importance at the moment.