1973 Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by jaunty75, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jaunty the black rubberstrip looks like it may be the one at the bottom of the tailgate, where the gate meets the bumper

[​IMG]

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thanks! I'll check it out.

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The other might be a gap filler for the headliner?

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I kind of thought of this as it looks a lot like the other trim pieces that go around the upper part of the roof interior in the rear, but I don't see an empty space for it, especially a piece that long. I'm wondering if it isn't part of the rear floor trim, but again I don't see an obvious place for it

One thing about it is that all the other trim pieces pretty much had a left and a right, but this is just a single piece suggesting it goes across the roof or the floor in some way.

I may end up just paging through the body manual and see if I come across a figure that shows it. I've done that before with unknown pieces, with success.

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

OK, here's the bottom of the tailgate on my car. There does look to be a gap there that might be filled with this long piece of weatherstrip. However, it also looks like, in order to put the piece in, I would have to remove the bumper. I am definitely not inclined to do that, and I would want to make sure that this piece really goes there if I was inclined.

There are these two little knobs in the bottom center of the tailgate actually just below the top level of the bumper. They're easier to see in the first photo. Any idea what they're for? Are the related to the attachment of the piece of weatherstrip?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Another what is it -- sort of

I pretty sure this goes in the spare tire well and the tire sits on it. It's got two holes on one side (lower long edge in the photo), but I don't see anything in the well to screw it to. It seems like there should be some additional pieces down there. But there isn't anything down there except the end of the rear window drive cable take-up hose (second photo). Can anyone shed any light on any of this? Can any of you with one of these clamshell wagons take a picture of your spare tire well? Thank you.

[​IMG]

The empty spare tire well.

[​IMG]

7. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Jaunty, I think that panel is part of the inner wheel housing that goes behind the LH rear wheel, right in front of the fuel tank.

David :)

8. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Wow. I never would have thought of that. Thank you.

Then what about the spare tire. Does it just sit in the well as it is?

9. wixom61

Jaunty,
    those two nubs on the bottom edge of your tailgate are most definitely not anything factory, but appear to be something like grey POR-15 that has, perhaps, been applied to the inside, and has dripped out and cured while the gate was down. They could probable be shaved off with a razor blade and touched up with paint if needed.

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I kind of thought of this, too, after I posted the photo. Would have been better if they were something cool, like electrodes or something.

11. wixom61

Your tire well looks like it has been fiberglassed due to a little rust...I think it is still prone to rusting as is. It could use a proper coat of black POR-15 inside and underneath to stop any rust.

The tire sits right in there, but should have a rather long retaining rod and nut to secure it. The inner vertical support in that area has a hole that the rod hooks into.

12. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thanks, David. I have some POR-15. I also have the long retaining rod. I need to find the hole it goes in to.

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

David, you were exactly right. That's right where that piece goes, and it's now back place. The were four screw holes (not two, as I said earlier) that lined right up with four holes on tabs under the fender.

I actually found the thing described briefly in the section of the shop manual describing removal of the gas tank. There's no picture or diagram of it, but it's called a "stone shield." Glad I asked about this because this is actually a safety item. Hate to kick up a big stone and have it puncture or even just dent the tank or damage the fuel lines, which are rubber and which are right there, also. The fuel gauge sending unit wiring also comes in right behind this shield, so there's lots of sensitive components in there.

You know, thinking back when I was pulling my hair out looking for the short in the taillight circuit (ah, the memories), I did look around in the area where the fuel gauge wiring came though the sidewall to the tank area, and I was a bit surprised at how exposed the fuel lines were. They're just behind the left rear wheel, and I thought they're exposed to everything when you're driving through snow or on dirt or gravel roads or whatever. But I figured it was designed that way. I'm glad to see it wasn't.

Thanks again.

14. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Right again! They do go at the very far rear corners under the car, kind of protecting whatever's up under there such as the wiring for the taillights. Not at all obvious, and I haven't seen a mention or picture of them in any manual. But they're back in place. Thanks again, David.

15. wixom61

Glad to be of help. David : )