Yet another saturn wagon owner

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Jon2001sc2, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jon2001sc2

Jon2001sc2 New Member

I'm afraid that my saturn wagon is no where as nice looking or modified as my good friend Seann's, (Plastic Fury), but I have a 95 Saturn SW2 that started life as a fully loaded grocery getter. Early to mid 90's wagons have always held a special place in my heart with their boxy exteriors that boldly proclaimed their wagon status with out the newer hatch trends to minimize their identity's. Classic wagons have been becoming more and more of a love as I've been looking at doing something different in building cars. For the time being, after years of racing and building race cars, I've gone back to a wagon as a terribly practical daily driver and parts hauler. My saturn experiences started 12 years ago and after some 7 and a half saturns later I can't seem to get away from them. (the half car, for those wondering, is a front clip for engine and suspension design and fabrication)
    The daily driver, while nice not requiring me to strap in to go to the store, has been a little boring. Since the autotragic in it decided to die in January the stockness must go.... I'll not bore with the full build as its a bit on the long side and dedicate a thread to it when I get it wrapped up a bit more. Other cars include a 2001 Saturn SC2 that I've raced off and on and used as a test mule for most of its life, currently starting an overhaul for a fresh SCCA STU build (retired World Challenge TC cars). A few years ago i was burnt out racing fwd cars so decided that a V8 rwd was a must. Ended up buying a former IMSA GTO class Camaro built and run by Morgan Motorsports in the 94 season after wining the championship with Oldsmobile the year before. Given another decade and a lot more money she will be back on the track, but its a long haul project.
    For a day job I fly as a corporate pilot and serve as the lead mechanic on the aircraft fleet. On my time off I do developmental engineering and serve as crew chief for an SCCA regional team, also have worked as a mechanic and fabricator in most forms and levels of racing.

Jonathan

The daily driver wagon the day I picked it up in its full neglected, econobox, grocery getter glory. (promise to get a completed shot soon were it actually looks decent)
    [​IMG]

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jonathan, welcome aboard! :Welcome:

When you said 'half Saturn', I had images of the planet with baby moon hubcaps. :rofl2: Good to have you here.

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Two Saturns joining in one day. Things are really looking up on the diversity front here. Welcome aboard.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, jon2. I lived in Daytona Beach. Ocean front condo in Ponce Inlet. Loved it. Good to see some different style wagons coming aboard!

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:Jonathan, fantastic intro and a very nice Saturn. I love those poly bodies. They get no dings and look nice forever. If I could find one close buy I'd have one.

6. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. Why not throw some of those SCCA parts at the wagon?

7. Plastic Fury

Plastic Fury New Member

Yeah they really do hold up well for sure. The 1993-1995 has only one steel body component, the hood lol. The panels are polymer and the roof and hatch are some sort of fiberglass/poly mix. My wagon has a carbon fiber hood so it has NO steel body panels anywhere lol.

He will be adding some of that stuff, he's got a nice plan for it here in the near future, including a new engine and turbo.

Haha yeah he and I are good friends and he directed me over here with some pics of a nice Buick wagon. I started looking around and figured i'd join up since I just have always loved wagons of all types.

8. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Nest..

9. Jon2001sc2

Jon2001sc2 New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes guys.

Very nice IMSA Fiero you have there. Love to see others with running historics, gives me hope that mine might make it back to the track one day.
    The wagon is getting a ton of hand me downs from the race programs. Like Seann mentioned its going to be getting a turbo system I have left over from a previous track build on the coupe. While not a big fan of body kits and such, the I'm adding a new front end thats a copy of what was used on another saturn wagon in NASA's US Touring Car Championship series. Living in Florida I don't want to take a chance of nuking another motor from overheating with too much summer heating in traffic. Its actually a bit of a challenge to not end up with yet another track car. The line between fun modified daily driver and track car is harder to walk than I first thought.

10. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to our humble abode(y)