1972 Estate Wagon Limited Coupe

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by wixom61, Nov 10, 2009.

1. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

More pics of the lower tailgate storage area. GM used galvanized steel for some of the pieces back here, but barely blew any paint up in this area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been scrubbing this area with PPG metal cleaner and PPG metal conditioner and a scotchbrite pad to get rid of the surface rust. The red in some pics is a stubborn seam sealer that I am still getting rid of.

More work in this area today.

David :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Buick Electra 225 Limited Estate Wagon Sport Coupe

3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

David, that is such a cool looking wagon. I'm admiring your patience as I'm sure you're even more eager than we are to have it done. Hey, just remember, nothing wonderful in life comes easily! Thanks for the update and the pics. You're doing an incredible job on it.
    I can't recall Buick ever making a 2dr wagon. They didn't have a version of the Nomad in the 50's, did they?

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That seam sealer might have a silicone content too. There's no legal remover for that, and I can't recall what the 'illegal' remover was. A bodyshop supplier might know. Gasoline used to work to soften it up.

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    must be nice...workin the driveway at this time of the year !!!:christmas:

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just had to rub it in, eh, Rev....:mad:

:D

7. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    79 here and 7pm, A/C running. It's no picnic. Electric meter spinning!!!

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    6 here, 5:45 PM, heat running, It's no picnic. Electric meter spinning! :D :D

9. wixom61

Luckily, this red seam sealer doesn't have any silicone in it, it is just hardened and quite tenacious.

Today, I continued to work on the back of my wagon, cleaning the all the nooks and crannies.

These pics show the extensive use of galvanized steel in the areas under each taillight housing, and the entire tailgate storage area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am sure glad these areas used galvanized steel, because paint is sparse.
    I haven't stripped any paint back here, just scrubbed with Marine Clean and a little plastic brush, and it is clean, bare metal!

I finally stripped my tailgate and cleaned it up. I had to weld in a new piece of steel at the LH lower corner where it mounts to the roller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, I am working on my RH fender :smash: ...pics to follow.

PS. It was in the mid 40's today...headed for 27 tonight. Glad it was sunny. I wear longjohns on the cold days and always have on latex gloves, so it is all good. Tomorrow will be warmer.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That wagon will be as good as a frame off! I'm sure enjoying your build, wix!

11. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    David, vinegar is a good pre-primer etcher for galvanized, after all the cleaning is done. Looking better every day.:bowdown:

12. wixom61

Thanks Fox and Norm,

Seems like progress is coming very slowly.
    I will give vinegar a try.

I am surprised how much galvanized steel is actually in the build of these wagons. Shows me that the General wanted these wagons to stick around for a little while. Still, painting them properly, coating everything, would have made a big difference in rust prevention.

Today is going to be very nice weather. I am finishing up all of the metal work, and soon will be ready to do the bodywork, and get these panels in primer.

Better get to work, and make hay while the sun shines!

13. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

David, how is the progress coming? The sun is a lil deceiving huh? I wake up looking outside and it looks beautiful till you open up the garage and the wind chills your bones. I unfortunately haven't done much accept parts shopping. I did manage to find some wheel well moldings that need a lil attention bringing them back to life. Any who keep the pics coming as progress continues.

14. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is a killer!! Actually, i´ve had a project going on in my head. A 4 door hardtop Estate, i really think the fourdoor cars are beautiful.
    And now, i find out that im not the only one on the planet hwo will do a couple of thousand hours on a really sweet estate wagon. Really love this Car!!:yippee:

15. wixom61

Thanks guys!
    I just came in from the cold, been working on my RH fender today. It had some ugly damage to the leading edge, that I found upon stripping it. I cut the whole upper end cap off and welded in a perfect piece from a damaged parts fender. It's much better now.

Working outside has been nice today and yesterday, but as soon as the sun starts to go down, brrr!

I work on this thing every day I am off, weather permitting. Anything 40 and up and dry, I am outside trying to get at least something done.
    It is really all I think about, and I am always planning my schedule around working on it. I am having more fun working on this wagon, than with any car I have ever worked on.

It is still in bare metal! I condition all the metal about every two weeks, and it stays looking great.

Not much to take new pictures of, but progress is being made.

lowlow37, a four-door hardtop Estate Wagon is very do-able. If I hadn't found a raggy parts-car coupe first, I would have done a four-door. It would actually be much easier. If you are serious, let me know, and we can compare plans of attack. :idea: :smash: :1st: