What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I recently finally replaced the fuel lines and vent line to my 90 Grand Marquis. Hopefully, this line combination will actually work for the proper fuel delivery. So far, it seems to be doing alright.

I don't have it off the jack stands yet, though, since I still need to fix the hood. The cable might need replaced, so that's what I'm thinking of removing and checking out first.

I also need to fix these, though they're of a lower priority:

Oil Dipstick - Need to re-attach to the block and exhaust manifold.

Fan Shroud - Broken in one spot on the top. Easily fixed with a few screws, plastic, and the willingness to cut off the ends of screws.

kevdupuis likes this.
  2. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I've repaired a couple plastic parts by riveting metal on and countersinking the rivet heads into the plastic so I could smooth over the outside of the repair for a cleaner look, something I had to do to both bumper covers on my 81 Mercedes when I did the body on it.

101Volts likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If you have a soldering gun, use it to weld the plastic together, on the inside of the shroud.

I know that it's not rolling yet, but it will be soon. I have to put my interior back together, but after putting the replacement engine together, then swapping it, she's been a helluva runner. Ran 3000 miles from Washington to South Texas, and still going strong. So you keep on yours, you'll be rollin' and they'll be hatin'.

101Volts and 60Mercman like this.
  4. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Glad to know that option, thanks.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of melting the plastic back together. I'm afraid there might not be enough space left, though.

You mean your 79 Ranchero's on the road now? Good to hear it.

I looked at the hood on my 90 Grand Marquis today, and as it turns out, the Hood Cable might not be the problem. I took the latch off, and it seems to be sticking. It was pretty well full of grease and gunk, so I'm soaking it in Vinegar now. It looks like I should be able to disassemble it, and determine what's wrong. Maybe it's a worn spring.

Is there anything else I should consider, before disassembling the hood latch? Also, what other hood latches might work, if I need to replace mine? I'm guessing that I have a wide range from 1979 - 1991 models, but then again, maybe not, considering the 90 - 91s have a few features specific to those two years.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Babe is running again, but I was referring to my 'new-to-me' '89 Colony Park wagon I bought up in Washington. The two front door panels are off because the lock motors need replacing, and the passenger window motor either needs lubing, or replacement. But pretty much everything else works, and it's fairly loaded.

101Volts likes this.
  6. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't realize it. Good hearing that both cars are going well. It looks like the lock actuators for the doors are readily available? It's not a part I was looking for, myself. I still have to fix the driver window, I think the motor's mount might be off-kilter.

I fixed my hood. The latch just wasn't aligned properly; it was too far to the passenger side. Also, I put some zipties on the radiator hose that was too close to the transmission fill tube.

I still need to re-attach that last item on the gas fill tube, before taking the car out.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

I take an old hose, cut an appropriate-length piece, then slit it lengthwise to wrap it around the hose, zippy tie it in place. No line, steering gear or frame rubs, and the zippy ties don't cut into the hose.
    As for the window, the motor is firmly bolted to the regulator, and the regulator is firmly riveted to the door shell. So if there is looseness, likely the motor's bolts are loose and/or missing. To access the three bolts, you drill three 1/2" diameter holes on-line with the bolts.

IMG_20210724_124906474_HDR.jpg

The old doors had three dimples showing you where to drill. I didn't drill these, so I'm not sure if any dimples are still there.

101Volts likes this.
  8. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. I undid my work with the zipties, and by your recommendation, put an old hose in-between a new ziptie and the heater hose.

Good knowing about the window regulator, thanks.

I took the Wagon off the stands yesterday, pulled it out, power washed it, and test drove it. It seems like I'm doing fine with it; there's no lack of fuel now.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Very good! You're well on your way!

101Volts likes this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

So yesterday afternoon, I was rear-ended by a 1-ton Ram pickup. Fortunately, it was a low-speed hit.

PSX_20210725_221309.jpg PSX_20210725_221330.jpg

The Ram didn't like the taste of my wagon...look at that sour puss!
    Anyway, I'm fine, I've made my claim, and made it clear I want it fixed, absolutely not totalled, because I want to restore it. We'll see how that goes.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Today, I did basic repairs since a replacement taillight assembly's $300:

IMG_20210726_124534889_HDR.jpg

Steve-E-D and 101Volts like this.
  12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Dang Andrew! That suuuuuuuuucks. I'm sorry to see this. Good luck with the insurance company.

101Volts likes this.
  13. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for that.

Ah, heck. Glad you're OK. That hit coulda been a lot worse, too. This is one of the gentlest rear-enders I've seen, and it looks fixable to me. I suppose the bigger thing's to get matching woodgrain and trim, after all the dents are removed.

As for my 90, I put more gas in it and test drove it some more. As it turns out, the rear brakes seem to be hanging up again; it only started after I pulled over and hit the brake. The more I used the brake, the worse it got. The car ended up feeling underpowered when I was on the highway, and it was pulling to one side then the other.

I'm not sure if the brake issue is with both sides, or if it's just the E Brake. I did replace all of the springs a year or two ago, and I thought that would have fixed this from the previous time.

The brakes aren't hanging up as badly as they were the previous time some years ago, when the old springs were so worn out that the car wouldn't even go forward from a stop without me pressing the accelerator.

I briefly thought of converting the rear brakes to Discs, but that can't be cheap. I'd need a new master cylinder, new rear discs and calipers, and a new parking brake system.

Whatever the case, I'm not tearing in to this brake issue today.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Well, it's not as hard or expensive as you think; the parts are on Aero Panthers up through '03, so you can pull the parts off the axle after pulling the axle shafts, or you just buy a whole axle, which is a bolt-in assembly. However, right now you have a dragging brake problem, and I'm not so sure the p-brake is the cause. Does the braking action return after you let the wagon sit for several minutes? In my mind, I'm thinking you have a bad flex hose to the rear brakes. If they 'lock up,' stop where you can immediately crawl under with a wrench and open a bleeder valve on the back (of course, if the brakes are hot, don't burn yourself). If you get a pressurized squirt of fluid, the inner lining on the flex hose is acting as a valve, retaining pressure in that part of the brakes.

101Volts likes this.
  15. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Sucks to see the bent metal on the wagon, hopefully insurance won't give you much trouble.
    On vacation in Nova Scotia right now so I'm not online much.

101Volts likes this.