Help! 1987 Buick Lesabre Estate Wagon parts

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Vignemotors, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Hello! We are an Italian workshop and we mostly work with American cars.
    We are working on a 1987 Buick Lesabre Estate Wagon for our client and we are desperatly looking for some rubber parts for the tailgate /door..
    We are looking for the trunk door seal and for the outer window sweep.
    Does anyone know where to find them? New is better but even used in a decent condition is fine...
    I think is quite a mission impossible now! :D

60Mercman likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure on sources for those rubber parts, but I can tell you that the parts would be interchangeable between the other GM 'box wagons' from '77 through '90 - Chevy Impala/Caprice; Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville; Olds Custom Cruiser. They all had the same door shells and tailgate shells, for the most part.

3. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Ok thank you! I'll check on them.
    I see the sweeps are slightly curved on the edges, I don't know if even the ones for the other cars were the same, but I'll take a look :D

4. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Long time owner of a 1987 Pontiac Safari Wagon and to my knowledge the tailgate window sweep is slightly curved up at the edges for all the GM full sized "B" body wagons in 1987. We were able to replace the Pontiac's tailgate window sweep 10 years ago only thru the kindness of a friend who sold us a new old stock part he had in his garage. We had searched for years for the sweep and had not been able to locate one. Suggest you try contacting Classic Industries and Steel Rubber Products to start your search. Good luck.

Vignemotors likes this.
  5. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Oh not good news ... I already looked for Classic Industries and Steele Rubber but got no luck.

Also, always about rubber parts, we are looking for the impact rubber strips for the bumpers. Any idea where to find them? Thanks!

6. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Wish I did. Could use one for the Safari front bumper.

Vignemotors likes this.
  7. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Ok I hope to be lucky enough! :D

8. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

I heard recently that someone in Palm Springs CA picked up a NOS bumper and impact strip on Ebay, so I think you'll have to watch for them. The front should be the same as most other sedans as well. Unfortunately, not much if any of the trim is reproduced... you might get lucky with some parts listed for other cars, but lucky is what you have to be! Good luck.

Vignemotors likes this.
  9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Vignemotors likes this.
  10. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Thank you! I take a look for the impact rubber strips, hope to be lucky! (y)

I think I bought from them on ebay the front and rear doors seals: the sweeps they had were not ok for our car though. I'll take a look again anyway, thank you! :D

11. Vignemotors

Vignemotors New Member

Sorry to bother again... But the old weatherstrip seal on the tailgate is no use :D
    Many websites / sellers suggest a "regular seal" for the tailgate, but the one we have on the car seems to get bigger on the sides. I attach the pics of the suggested seal and what remains on the car.
    Is there a specific kind of weatherstrip or the "universal kind" is also fine? I'm quite confused :D
    transpurple100.png WhatsApp Image 2021-06-09 at 15.42.43.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-06-09 at 15.42.36.jpeg

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Try typing "obsolete GM parts" in Google. Anyone who sells new old stock (NOS) parts should be able to at least help you with a part number, if not an actual part. I hope this helps you in your work.

Vignemotors likes this.