Trans Fluid - Bypass radiator, add Trans cooler instead?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by RecklessRewards, May 10, 2021.

1. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey all, I got a 1963 ford country sedan, I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago and now I am in the process of connecting everything. I was wondering if for the transmission fluid lines if I should just bypass the radiator and just add a transmission cooler?

I have something like this one already that I never installed in a different vehicle. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...9jGW93WoYyfRafeY1FtSvNr7TX5c16GAaArBIEALw_wcB
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

Also the Radiator is an aftermarket that I picked up at a radiator shop to ensure it will be suitable for my 289.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I would. I'd run it to the cooler mounted in front of the radiator if it were me.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Well, technically, you should have the radiator cooler and the auxiliary cooler hooked up. When warming up, the coolant gets the fluid to flow better, then when at operating temp, the aux cooler helps keep the trans temp below 170°, because every time the fluid temp goes above that point, it shortens the fluid's life.

4. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

hook up to radiator, then pass through the cooler and back to the transmission. But, why run a cooler at all? The radiator will do it's job unless you have an engine cooling/overheating issue or towing where the transmission may overheat? Otherwise the cooler is a detriment.

5. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks all, great advice as always!
    Looks like I'll be running through the radiator and the cooler. I plan on pulling a camping trailer so want to be sure that the transmission stays cool!

ModelT1 and bcschief like this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

What size of trailer and what is its weight?

7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Hook up to radiator, then pass through the cooler and back to the transmission. Best way when pulling an RV.
    I have also used only a cooler like you show and never had a problem.

RecklessRewards likes this.
  8. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    12ft I think it's 1,200lbs not big at all but the wagon just has a 289 so packed with camping gear and the family want everything to stay cool!

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

So you need to weigh everything going into the car, driver, passengers, cargo, car and trailer separately, then calculate the gross combined weight rating for this combo, and compare it to the max GCWR specification for the car.

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    No! Just buy a decent tranny cooler, skip the radiator part, and run the tranny lines to the cooler. I used to use old refridgerator units in cars , trucks, and motorhomes. I used a 1965 Mustang fastback to pull a fold down RV for years with 289 and 4-spd.
    My Model A has a 260V-8 and 4-spd. Maybe I can get a teardrop RV to pull.:yup:
    Sharps A 4.jpg

11. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup totally get it been towing with many different vehicles for the past 25 years. That's why I'm NOT going to tow my 28ft toy hauler with the 63. ;-). But totally appreciated you sharing the info, this will definitely be valuable for someone else when they review this thread.

12. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    What do you think about the point of getting the fluid up to temp so it flows around the transition?

13. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The fluid will warm up even without the pass through the radiator. You also eliminate overheating it if the engine ever runs hot, or overheats. You can put a temp driven fan on the cooler for high stress situations.

14. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

Yes, the fluid will warm without passing through the radiator. But was a transmission built to spec's using oil that is more viscous when cold? You wouldnt run 40w oil in a car you start and stop in 20 degree F for 5 minutes. Most engine parts would never get the oil. I think this question is based on the application. IF you are always towing, then it probably makes sense to bypass the radiator and use a cooler only. If you are only driving 'round town, the transfluid using the radiator will suffice, including the cooler bypass will help it even more. If you read this topic on other forums ,there isn't sound consensus one way or another whether to bypass the radiator and run the cooler only or not.

RecklessRewards likes this.
  15. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome, Thanks everyone for the great thoughts on this. I think ill use the radiator and the cooler together since I am not towing all the time, but when I am it will be long distances in the heat so cooling down the transmission on those long trips is a good thing!