Mike Brady's Station Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by mrtotty, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Monkees car, aka the Monkeemobile, was actually based on a 1966 Pontiac GTO. It was built by famous customizer Dean Jeffries.

http://www.monkees.net/DOCS/MMOBILE.HTM

You're confusion with the Mustang probably comes from the twin '66 Mustangs built for Sonny and Cher, by George Barris.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So it's not like 'jack up the horn and put a new car under it', huh?:D

My mother had a calcium deficiency, when I was born, so by 23, I had to get all of mine yanked, and new falsies. Luckily, I got the right guy the first time, and still have them 39 years later. Replaced one broken tooth in Mexico back in 1999. Never came out during a sneeze or laugh, not even a full moon! :rofl2:

3. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

Good God, that isn't a Mustang.
    I knew it was red and a convertible, so maybe I just pictured a Mustang. The Mustang is, to many people, the ultimate sixties American convertible, so maybe that explains it.
    I did watch Sonny and Cher too.

4. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    The more recent Brady Bunch movie (which is as good as it is bad) uses a pooh brown 1972 Montego for the wagon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd be happy with that pooh brown Montego wagon...:p

6. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    I'd be happy, rolling around with Marcia in the back of that Motego wagon!!!:dance::yahoo:(y)

7. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I have not seen the Brady movie in a long time. But I do remember the Mercury Montego wagon was used in a clip where Jan is learning how to drive, she hits a fire hydrant. There was also a song played by the Monkeys "The Last Train to Clarksville".

8. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    My mom had a 77 LTD wagon she referred to as baby sh*t brown all my childhood.

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    She'd know that color and smell, intimately.:rofl2: I was the oldest in my family, back in the day of cloth diapers, changing and washing them for my 4 siblings. :rofl2:

10. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    hahaha. My mom says she liked that car because she could get all 3 or our old-style car seats across the rear bench.

11. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

I see her point. I have a 2001 Park Avenue, considered a "large luxury car" by today's standards. When both my boys were in car seats, there was practically NO room in between the two car seats. When they were both in booster seats, a small child could fit in the middle, but we tried three booster seats once, when we had my nephew with us for a weekend...forget it...they wouldn't fit. Now, we're down to one in a booster seat and the other doesn't need one...much better. :whew:

Back in the 70's, we went to a funeral for a family member and we sat 4 across the front and 4 across the back in my mother's 72 Mercury Marquis. My mother's 2004 Grand Marquis won't hold but 3...and not very comfortably at that.

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That's why the mid-60's and early 70's were called Hippie! Now, please don't send you're mom to beat me up.:rofl2:

13. mrtotty

mrtotty New Member

I once got three adult male passengers into my Clio, not including me. If you are not familiar with the Clio, you won't understand what a feat that was - they are very small cars.
    When I was growing up, my family had a 1974 Holden Kingswood wagon as our family car. It had bench seats front and rear and a 3-speed manual column-change gearbox. You could fit 3 in each row - not quite as much as your mother's 1972 Mercury Marquis but not far behind.
    Nowadays, the best offer is a supposedly seven-seat MPV, which can only carry that many people if the rear five are children and the boot (trunk) is not in use.
    If I had a family, I'd import a 1972 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser as my family car - just to be different - but there would undoubtedly be some jobsworth official who would render its centre seats unsafe on health & safety grounds.

14. marcar1993

marcar1993 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Kinda right, it was a 71 satellite custom. It has straight trim not molded to a body line, and there is no wood grain. My car has been mistaken for it for a long time. Apparently a rather large diecast dealer has made the same mistake.

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/wish%20list.htm

Look at #8, pic look familiar? I wouldn't mind if they made a model of it though...

Also, all 3 parts of the Grand Canyon episode will be on TV LAND Thursday, Oct 22 starting at 7:30pm est time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  15. Jadethermocouples

Jadethermocouples New Member

In reference to the "Brady's cars, there was a blue metallic 1970 Plymouth Barracuda used. The 1970 Barracuda was seen in a few episodes, most notable was the episode when Greg is learning to drive and he's driving down a Hollywood street with Mike in the passenger seat. Glad to read that the old Barracuda is in good hands now by a private owner. If my memory serves me correctly, I also remember, in the show's last season, a 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon. The first year for the big rubber bumper guards. P.S. As for more famous automobiles, I read an article a few years ago that the medium blue metallic 1973 Ford Mustang convertible used on the Mary Tyler Moore show had been completely restored and put up for auction. Wish I would've know about it. As a little kid I remember seeing that Mustang on the beginning and ending of MTM and loved that Mustang. On Saturday nights I looked forward to seeing that Mustang every time my parents watched MTM.