1/87 scale....

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Fat Tedy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That is really nice! The funny thing is that this is how these niche kits come along--somebody makes something like this and it sells so quickly, they make more and build on their earlier sales. I'd like to see this guy go the extra giant steps to make the investment and begin cranking these out. Especially if he represented all the GM divisions with the basic changes to the molds necessary to do so.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

So the order Dad made finally arrived: 12 Mini Metals 1960 Ford trucks, split as six F100s and three each of the F600 flatbed and F 600 single-axle tractor, and four each of the Oxford Diecast '56 T-bird and '56 Lincoln Mk II.

IMG_20160310_192639.jpg IMG_20160310_192512.jpg

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Sorry the pics suck.

4. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Most likely these 69 Chevy wagons were made using a process where a mold is made from a larger scale model (probably the Greenlight 1/64 scale 69 Chevy wagon in this case). The material used to make the mold is probably something called Hydro Shrink or something similar to that. The mold shrinks as it sets. So you then end up with a mold for a copy that is smaller than the original. The problem is, its hard to control how much it will shrink, so trial and error may be necessary to get a mold for the desired scale. The other problem is that often it doesn't shrink uniformly. that would result in a smaller but warped looking copy. Once you do have a usable mold you then need to cast at least one good model. Then that becomes the basis for a more durable mold with which to make multiple copies. As long as the individual making the reduced copies doesn't mass produce them, the maker of the original larger model probably won't bother them. Because a very major alteration has been made in creating the copy (size in this case) it may not be considered a copy of someone else's work anyway. Furthermore, if more than a few copies were made and sold, then there would be the additional complication of licensing the design by GM. It may however be possible that if no emblems appear on the model and it isn't advertised as a Chevrolet (its not advertised at all), then it could be considered justa generic station wagon model and may not be subject to licensing.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

So that'll allow me to fill the double-deck autorack and have a couple trucks left over for scenery projects. I need to find pics of the auto-loader setups in 50' double-door boxcars for doing up the T-birds and Mk IIs as loads.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Those are good points you bring up. However, I still think if he made the big-buck upfront investment (as well as gained the licensing agreements), he could begin a larger mass-production that would help all of us dying for automobiles to decorate our layouts and be loads on auto carrier flatcars. Because if he doesn't, someone else eventually will.

7. Jim 68cuda

8. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I love the "Dual" in the one scene, between the truck and the red Valiant!

9. FalconFuturaWagon

FalconFuturaWagon FordFan

Wagon Garage:
    I'd like to find a 64-65 Falcon wagon in the 1/87 scale if anybody knows of one.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

I've been out of the hobby so long, I'm not sure if there ever was one.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, and on my trip to Idaho a couple weeks ago, I scored a Mini Metals '59 Custom 300...in Army paint! A $15 model for $9.50. I'll have to burnish off the stars and polish up the paint, make it look like some cheapo bought it new! Dad and I also scored an A-B pair of Model Power Proto 2000 Seaboard E-6 locos, power and dummy, for $80! We just could not pass that up!

12. FalconFuturaWagon

FalconFuturaWagon FordFan

Wagon Garage:
    Silvertwinkie...you're the second person that told me the 1/87 sqaurebody Falcon wagon never existed. Looks like I'm going to have to live with that!

13. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Check out this completed Ebay auction. This seller had a resin HO slot car body of a 64-65 Falcon Delivery wagon. Pretty much the same scale as 1/87. If you're careful, you should be able to remove the side windows to make it a 2 door wagon. You'll just have to find a chassis to use. I use the Johnny Lightning pull-back chassis to display my slot car bodies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-custom-resin-t-jet-ford-falcon-ho-slot-car-body-blems-/291716620328?hash=item43ebaa6028:g:eugAAOSwzvlW8eq-&nma=true&si=b8PROI2pc10UCuvm8IjHdRWJ8xc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[​IMG]

Just found this current auction from the same seller, which includes one of the Falcon Delivery wagons:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-cust...606070?hash=item43ebb96ab6:g:yPcAAOSwdU1W8y8-

Or, you can probably contact him directly to purchase one.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

And a Ranchero! Oops, just saw the supposed 'Ranchero' is not one.

15. Jim 68cuda

If those bodies are meant to fit the Aurora Thunderjet slot car chassis, they may be a bit on the large size for 1/87 scale. Aurora Thunderjet series cars were about 1/76 scale. Only 1/87 scale Falcon wagon I'm aware of is the Road Ragers Australian 1963 Falcon wagon