How-To Disassemble, Inspect, and Repair the Rear Window Regulator

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by hcstWagons, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 63Fowagon

63Fowagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A lot of people with the older Ford are using a hood to cowl seal for the wedge type seal you are talking about. Sometime it takes two with splice in the center but work ok. Did this with my 63 Fairlane.

2. ChiefDanGeorge

ChiefDanGeorge Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    THanks for the idea!

3. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

How could this possibly work without the three torque buttons in between the big plastic gear and the metal gear? What happens is the window doesn't go up & down,and upon disassembly and inspection you find that the three torque buttons have disintegrated,so no drive occurs. (It is also possible to R&R the motor with its gear drive without removing anything else!) Anyway,I replaced the three torque buttons with metal ones after the replacement buttons also disintegrated. The torque buttons do not survive the aging process,& what a dumb design anyway. What happened with my original 1973 gearset was that after the three torque buttons disintegrated,the window did go up and down for awhile,BUT then the metal gear wore down the little bumps on the big plastic gear,and thus no up & down. So...I don't think a washer spacer is going to work for very long without those torque buttons.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    not sure if im allowed to reply to this old post? first I wanted to ask about the washer...as a machinist by trade I have to ask..are you sure you got your decimal place correct regarding the washer used? you are saying you used a washer seven and a half one thousands of an inch thick? I have never seen a washer that thin and I cant imagine the difference it would make taking up play in something, did you mean to say .076? that i can imagine working...the decimal point makes a difference hehe...I bought my wagon recently with the window stuck down,,its not a power window, i need to get it back to being up..when the handle is rotated once every 360 degrees it makes a pop...im guessing it a result of a stiff window being rolled up one too many times? and may have the same play issue as this post?

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If it pops each 360° rotation, it sounds to me like the shaft gear is missing a tooth. If you can have someone grab the glass with both hands and pull lightly while you crank it, you can see more easily if my assertion is true, as the glass will jump when it happens. Or, spray silicone lube into the window felts on both sides, reducing the friction on the glass.