A few Country Squires.....

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by FordWagonNut1979, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe you could disguise it as a canoe mounted on your roof rack.;)

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There's a thought! I saw the link to the parabolic solar trough. I'll have to do more research.

3. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

There is a made for TV movie "Winner Take All" from 1975, that has a 1975 Country Squire in it.
    I haven't seen it in decades, but I have always remembered it for the beautiful full-tilt loaded wagon.
    It stars Shirley Jones as a seeming normal everyday housewife, with a dark secret. She's totally addicted to gambling. It starts out with her driving normally, but as her situation grows more and more desperate and out of control, she races from one end of town to the other, throwing that wagon into turns and gunning it for all it's worth. I think she ends up loosing it in a bet or selling it to pay one. At least she doesn't wreck it!
    The movie is pretty good, and is actually well regarded. It is available on eBay, but nothing on youtube. I may buy a copy just to see that beautiful wagon again.

4. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I never heard of that movie.....none the less, from what you said it sounds like a movie I would like. I bought the movie "The Virgin Suicides" and "Stepford Wives" on DVD used from the use of Country Squires....I ended up liking both movies.

5. autobotsquire

autobotsquire New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Please keep us up to date on what movies you find with the Country Squire in them. I'm strongly considering trying one of the water/gas conversion kits for my Country Squire. It's just a matter of saving up the money for the instructions and the parts or ready made kits. :chirp:

6. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

Wixom,

So I ended up getting the movie "Winner Take All" off of Evilbay. The movie was taken off of what looks like a VHS tape and converted to DVD. None the less, it has some good footage of the '75 Country Squire (fully loaded Brougham). Yes, it was worth the $4.00 including shipping. Thanks for letting me know about that movie.

7. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

From memory ( a few could be wrong)
    A Summer Place-51 Country Squire
    The Russians are Coming-53 Country Sedan (light blue)
    Two For the Road-57 Country Squire
    Peyton Place-59 Country Squire (black)
    Bye Bye Birdie-62 Country Squire (silver)
    From Russia With Love-60 Ranch wagons (2 and 4 door) (light blue or white)
    Goldfinger-64 Country Squire (red)
    Good Neighbor Sam-64 Country Sedan (red)
    The Ugly Dachsund-64 Country Sedan (yellow or tan)
    The Thomas Crown Affair (original)-67 Country Squires (2) (maroon and white)
    The Getaway (original)-68 Country Squire (white)and 70 Country Sedan
    North Avenue Irregulars-75? Country Squire
    Twister-I think a 77 Country Squire gets tossed into a building
    ...and wasn't there a mid 70's Country Squire in one of the Terminator movies?

and a few TV shows to look for.
    Knots Landing-several of the characters worked at a Ford dealership so I believe Country Squires were used regularly
    Star Trek Voyager- Female captain of the Voyager plays the part of a down on her luck ancestor back in the 80's in one episode and a 71 Country Squire (blue) is featured prominantly.
    Charlie's Angels-I recall Boseley's car was a 75-77 Country Squire

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Actually, I was a huge Knots Landing fan to the point where myfriends and I used to hang together every Thursday night to watch it. One of the reasons we were so into it was because we all sold at a Ford dealer in Staten Island NY. You're right, Sid Fairgate owned a Ford dealership but he was killed by the mob and his wife, Michelle Lee, inherited it and ran it. She met her next husband, Mac, and he continued to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee years after they got married. I was so incensed I wrote CBS a letter saying that the husband of a Ford dealer principal would never drive a Jeep; he'd have some type of Ford with dealer tags on it. I guess they must've read it, because the next season he was driving a blue Eddie Bauer Explorer, a much more appropriate vehicle.

9. snooterbuckets

I seem to remember Fred MacMurray's car in My Three Sons was always a Pontiac wagon. Robbie drove a '64 Tempest convertible. Actually, there's a commercial floating around on you tube somewhere showing Uncle Charlie and the 3 boys checking out the new 1961, (I think it was a '61), Chevy Bel Air 4dr.

10. snooterbuckets

The Cleavers in Leave It To Beaver had a '61 Plymouth 4dr but the Andersons on Father Knows Best had a '57 Ford wagon if memory serves me correctly.

11. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

One of the classic early 60's episodes of Candid Camera features a 55 or 56 Mercury wagon cut in half. Woman goes in to service station and complains about a draft inside car. She takes mechanic for a ride, and back end of car falls off (everything behind the front seat). front half of car continues down the road (with the help of tiny drive wheels below the front seat) with woman rambling on about the draft inside the car while the mechanic stares in disbelief at the area where the back half of the car should be.

My Three Sons-Pontiac wagons
    Family Affair-Pontiac Wagon
    Partridge Family first season-62 Comet wagon
    The Ghost and Mrs Muir-62 Falcon Squire wagon first season, late 60's Coronet wagon after that
    Please Don't Eat the Daisys- 66 Fury Sport Suburban wagon
    Jimmy Stewart show (or whatever his show was called) 70-71 Mercury Montego wagon
    Eight is Enough- I think there was a mid 70's Country Squire
    Brady Bunch-69, 70, 71 Plymouth Satellite wagons
    Adam-12-occasional appearance of 68 & 69 Belvedere wagon police car
    Quincy-75-77 Ford Country Sedan
    My Favorite Martian- The landlord lady had a 65 Coronet wagon
    Nancy Drew-her father drives a 75-77 Country Squire or Country Sedan
    Scarecrow & Mrs King- 80's Olds Cutlass Sierra wagon with woodlike trim and 80's Ford LTD or Fairmont Squire wagon?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Y'all have overlooked one prominent movie from 1978: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The family grocery-getter was a Colony park (I think), and Richard Dreyfuss drove a rental 78 Country Sedan in WY...cross-country! Try that with a modern car!

13. m261398

m261398 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: