Going camping in your wagon?

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by Olds Weighty Eight, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That wood explain your behaviour. :yup:

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    -Church? Those are the places my wife goes to yard sales!:evilsmile:

3. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Check this one out. This is me (middle) with my brother and sister camping out with our Plymouth station wagon in September of 1972. I think this was Rhinebeck, NY where we used to go to the old Aerodrome every year. :yup:

[​IMG]

4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Real Camping

Thanks. This was back when camping was---camping. No power cord, water hoses, no 40' motorcoaches, generators, satellite antennas, etc. Real people really camping and having fun. :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

5. wagonman76

wagonman76 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I saw one of those wagon tents set up hooked to a Grand Cherokee when we went camping about a month ago.

I've gone camping many times just in the wagon. With the seat folded down, the area perfectly fits a bunk bed mattress. Compartments on the side for storage, flip out rear vent windows for air. I used to just leave it set up that way and I had several "companions" that camped with me in there over the years. Ahh the good ol days.

6. flounnderr

flounnderr New Member

I like the 2nd pic .. so that was a boat too?

7. impalawagon77

impalawagon77 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Who needs the tents? This past summer I stuck a twin-XL (longer, but same width as a standard twin) mattress in the back of mine and slept in there. It wasn't half bad really. Kind of a super-mini motorhome. Although I woke up the next morning with soaked toes because I left the back window cracked and it rained sometime in the night.

I know, I know... ANCIENT thread here, sorry.

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Any thread that involves station wagons and camping isn't ancient. They're just on hold until another member remembers his/her past and adds something of interest.
    We've camped our entire lives in about every camper imaginable. But some of our most fun times were after retiring using a regular non-hightop Chevy van.
    Even a few years ago my wife and I tossed an airbed in the back of our truck "just in case". It was late. A storm came up, and we pulled off to wait. Ended up sleeping in the back of the truck in the very first Wal-Mart lot we've camped in.
    Saved at least $50, saved time, and had a good nite's sleep. Even a McD's was near when nature and breakfast called in the morning.

9. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

The back of a Volvo 240 wagon holds a 3/4 sized mattress flat on the floor, so very comfortable!

10. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

We just pull the seats from the van and put a mattress down,her new van has stow/go easy peasy camping!

11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't realize until we did it others still sleep overnight in cars, trucks, and wagons. I know our Wal_Mart looks like a mini campground with RV's and vehicles of all sizes. And it's permitted.
    The night we stayed in the truck bed was shortly after I poked my eye with a stick...branch. I really shouldn't have been driving. But I've done one or two silly things in my life. The last minute plan to toss an airbed, sleeping bag, and bedding was just an emergency thing. Two old people can hardly climb over the tailgate of a truck anyway. But it was quiet and comfy.
    Before staying there I actually checked with the store and looked around the lot. Besides 30-40 tractor trailer rigs and RV's here and there, I saw vans and cars with the windows covered.
    We'd spent 50+ years staying in our RV's in overpriced campgrounds just to sleep. This does make more sense. I only question the safety of it.
    Over many years we used our 55 Chevy wagon to get to RV parks but stayed in cabins or rental RV's. Someday I want to sleep in it.

12. hotrodprimer

hotrodprimer New Member

Kompac made a camper/boat for the sportsman.

Shaped to resemble a 52-54 Ford

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. impalawagon77

impalawagon77 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice! Probably a bit more comfy than my mattress!

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    No matter where we camp or what we camp in we use a midpriced airbed. More comfortable than the waterbed we've used at home since they first became popular. Just be sure you get it warm either by turning up the RV heat or using an electric blanket before jumping in it.
    A comfortable air bed and a place to keep the beer cold is all a happy camper needs. :clap: