89 Electra Wagon - back on the road...

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by BzTaxi, Apr 9, 2012.

1. BzTaxi

BzTaxi New Member

Wagon Garage:
    My 89 Buick Electra hasn't been on the road since Nov 2010, last weekend I retrieved her from my uncles yard, drove it cross-country and set to work. Here are a few pics, which I think make her look nicer than she is in real life. She drives really nicely and has great response on the road.

I'm liking the 'shabby chic' patina, the hood looks like the top of an old leather table... she sounds awesome and my neighbours and friends love to go for a cruise in it. Even the local kids who were a bit baffled by such a large car are liking it, they couldn't believe how heavy the doors were lol

My list of things to do this summer to bring her back up to speed;

replace rear air shocks
    replace windshield
    thorough engine clean and gasket replacement
    take out muffler and replace with glasspack - new pipes throughout
    de-install tow hitch
    install new fabric roof liner
    refurbish and repaint wheels
    repair a few rust holes
    install additional headlamps behind grill
    replace or remodel dashboard top
    upgrade all speakers and install amp in rear

No doubt other jobs will come up as I go but that's the point really...

10.jpg 12.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 2.jpg 11.jpg 4.jpg

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Cool! Bet that big Buick is quite a sight down there in Belize! I'll give you a :camera::camera::camera::camera: for a pic rating since you included dash pics. Have fun with your project and keep us informed. :tiphat:

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the great pix, Bz!:yup: I love the patina on that car! Polish it up, replace some parts and drive it!! :thumbs2:
    If you can find a junked wagon like yours...chances are the dash will be perfect. I have never seen one of those particular dashes do that before.

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

My guess its the harshness of being closer to the equator? :hmmm:

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    No doubt. Still....those Buick 80's B dashes stayed like new in incredibly bad situations. They were tough! The whole interior was tough. Seemed to last forever.

6. BzTaxi

BzTaxi New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the feedback........ some panels do polish, some don't, but most of the chrome has survived. I've spotted an Olds wagon sat by the road about 100 miles away that I might be able to pick over for just what I need in terms of dash top and assorted bits like door handles, which I think are both the same.

Yes, the climate down here is brutal on paint and plastic, we're also coastal so the salt and sand make everything rust, even stainless. This car was parked up in 2006 by its former taxi driver owner, 6 years later and you can see what is left, even the speaker grilles fell apart.

I'm surprised at the acceleration the wagon has considering how asthmatic the 307 is supposed to be for a V8 - having a rebuilt trans helps for sure, cant wait to get the exhaust overhauled......:icon_drive:

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not certain, Bz....but I THINK the Olds and Buick dashes are different from one another. I've had both but it's been awhile....seem to remember them as different, though.

8. BzTaxi

BzTaxi New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just rechecked and you're right, they are different after all. Would a Chevy or Pontiac also be different? I guess I can always fibreglass over my existing one of i need to.

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure, Bz...but, again, I THINK they are all different. Have to find some pix to verify.

10. BzTaxi

BzTaxi New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Update...

Hi - I've recently been able to devote some time to my wagon to get some jobs done.

At last I managed to loosen my tailgate enough to drop down, which it hasn't done in 4 years, I can now tailgate at my local bar! While I was inside the door I reattached the lock rod and central locking mechanisms which had both been taken apart by the previous owner, the 'Rear Door Ajar' sensor had to be disconnected as it never went out. Window is fully functional and glides up and down nicely now.

I took out the whole rear interior panels, seats and carpets then scrubbed it all, cleaned floor and cleaned up wiring, no rust found down there but very dirty.

I took apart the two front doors and fixed loose window adjusters and mirror controls. While I had the skins off I also reattached the grab handles as the plates inside were corroded. The panels and all electrics were cleaned off. Door skins and fabric also got a good scrub. Since rebuilding and reattaching the doors have a nice clunk to them now rather than a tinny rattle.

Since owning the car it has always been damp, heavy rain here does not help, so it was time to take out the main interior for a good clean and to make an investigation into my leaks.

As the photos show this got serious lol. Its all apart right now drying, tomorrow the main dash comes out....

The floorpan was very grubby and there was a puddle in the rear passenger footwell. I've cleaned off all wiring and connectors and done the same on the seats and their motors. Carpet was pretty disgusting too but has come out ok, threadbare in places but very functional. All uholstery has also been scrubbed, my weapon of choice being laundry detergent. I then blasted with a hose a left it out in the sun to dry for 3 days.

Its been a simple if laborious task to take all this out and clean it, I can't wait to put it all back and see the end result. So far this has been about 40 hours, including smoke breaks.

I thought I'd take a rest today and take photos...:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Attached Files:

11. BzTaxi

BzTaxi New Member

Wagon Garage:
    more pics..

Attached Files:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW! You are a real worker, Bz!! I like how you must love that 'ol wagon and your hard work is looking GOOD!(y) Your climate is tough on cars but you are cleaning up the wiring and all the other correct issues. Great to see that wagon coming back! Good for you!!:thumbs2::D