Here's my 1962 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta Station Wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by starfireelvis, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome cars! Welcome to the forum! :Welcome:

2. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rear bumper is back from chrome shop

OK, just an update; found a complete rear bumper for the '62 wagon out if Fresno, CA just after the first of the year; the upper part was pretty bad, but my friend had found a newly-rechromed one of those at Fall Hershey in October. Sent the lower bumper and the outer fins to the chrome plater, just got it back yesterday, and it's looking pretty sweet! Will post some pics of it at my friend Jim's workshop, and another thread will have some pics of the other parts that didn't need re-chroming, plus the great job Jim did on the tailgate moulding. First, the bumper, with a shot of what it originally looked like, followed by pics upon its return:

Attached Files:

3. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rear bumper part 2, plus tailgate moulding

May have to break this into two parts; first, pics of the license plate guards, followed by the refurbished "steps" that fit into the corners of the bumper between the lower bumper and the skegs (admittedly, my wagon was a 2-seater without a roof rack, so these are "extra'), and the re-furbished license plate light assembly. Both front and back of the steps and the assembly are shown here:

4. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    wagon tailgate moulding

Although this piece is very similar to what was on the regular Dynamic 88 coupes, sedans, and convertibles for Olds in '62; this is actually a different piece unique to the wagon, as it is shorter and tapered at both ends. My friend Jim Fuller cleaned the brittle lens up as best he could, and did a fine job in back-painting the center lens in the correct garnet metallic paint. Included in these pics are a comparison of the pitted and faded piece currently on the wagon, below the new moulding which will be replacing it:

Attached Files:

5. pt61v

pt61v New Member

Welcome. Very cool car.

6. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I noticed an Olds on Craigslist thats not a wagon, but looks like it belongs in your collection. I sent you a PM with a link to the ad. I've never seen the car and it is not mine. I just thought of you when I saw the ad. I love the roofline on this one. It shares the same roof as the Coupe DeVille and the Buick Electra of the same year.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, thanks for posting this, and also for the PM. I did have a chance at a black '62 Ninety-Eight Sport Sedan a few years ago (four-door hardtop); love the coupes, and as you mentioned, same roofline as the Caddy and the 225. Thing about the 98s for '62 is that they're 7 inches longer than the 88/Starfire models are, and though my house was built in 1961, my garage is not long enough to hold them! Both the wagon and the Starfire are exactly 213.9 inches long, while the 98s are about 220 as I recall.

If the guy still has it by then, would love to see him bring it to Spring Carlisle at the end of April. I'm taking the wagon to sell some stuff out of the back of it!

8. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I did take the wagon out on its "inaugural" swap meet since getting it back a few weeks ago; Dave and Ed's had their 'Pro-Formance" swap meet at the Stark County Fairgrounds in Canton, Ohio this past weekend, and the weather cooperated enough on Saturday afternoon to make my way out there and pick up a few small items (it did snow quite a bit on Sunday, but today was mid-'60s and perfect, so spring is hopefully right around the corner)...Just a little appetizer for later on, getting ready for Spring Carlisle at the end of April...

Attached Files:

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That's what I'm talking about! (y)

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Elvis...you have to learn to start posting your stuff in new threads in the right sections. It really is OK the way you are doing it BUT more people will see it in the proper section rather than the Welcome Wagon section. Just trying to help you get around more so more people can get to know you and your gorgeous wagon!:yup:

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That brocade cloth GM used on their cars of that period is beautiful, even today.

12. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, any more updates on the wagon I'll post elsewhere accordingly. Thanks again!

13. allizdog

allizdog New Member

I'll be in Carlisle too. I'll look for your wagon...have any Ford Parts?

14. starfireelvis

starfireelvis New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unfortunately, no; only will have Olds stuff and my buddy has some early-mid '60s Chevy stuff. I am sure that there will be plenty there to choose from--always is!

15. graytoad

graytoad Active Member

Wagon Garage:

Wow, your car and ours is very simular. It is funny how the manufacturer would change small things to make them different: makes it so difficult to find correct parts, especially when you have a lower production vehicle like a wagon. (not to mention how many wagons were destroyed at the demolition derbys over the years) I read your posts from the start, certainly sounds like a restoration of persistance and perserverence! (y) I do have a question for you if you dont mind checking, how long are your wiper blades? I don't imagine they changed those from 61 to 62 as the windshield looks the same etc. Thanks in advance for your help!