Hello from NW Ohio: 1980 Buick Electra Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 350x, Oct 5, 2010.

1. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

Hello from NW Ohio: 1980 Buick Electra Estate Wagon

Last of the all Buick cars, can still find a few in 81 but they died in 1980 when they went to Corp engines and drive trains.

Here it is all bone stock, not long after I bought it in 97-98 for $800 with 70,000 original miles. Only thing I did to it right away was peel off the wood grain sticker to reveal really nice black paint.
    [​IMG]

Mine has a long history, here is just some info of late.........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

03 Feb 2009
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To remove trim or not to remove trim, that is the question.
    Weather it be nobler to keep the stock family friendly trim, or pimp it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------
    18 Feb 2009
    Ok get read for a WTF moment.

Well I couldn't park in the same spot but here is an update.

I know your gonna go; say what?

Yes the 28" tall tires are now on the front. No more scraping the engine cradle over moderate dips or bumps in the road. 26" tall tires on the rear as they help the pig get moving quicker. It might have a slight lean to the rear right now but Ill deal with that soon as I can. Should only need an 1in or so of "lift" which new springs should fix.

[​IMG]

Plus I got about a 100lb of tools way in the back, were there for added traction. That forward lean just bugged me and things just work out better. I get the ground clearance I need up front, a level ride but still smaller meats out back to speed up the launch of the SS PIG. Plus I save $170 on buying two more tires.

------------------------
    13 Sep 2010

Rust-Oleum Industrial Enamel $25 a gallon

Gonna paint my wagon with it ;)

no really, you can find lots of thread where folks used the small cans of it to paint a motorcycle or a car using a roller or brush.

Ill be using a spray gun so it should look even better but have seen stuff first hand done with a paint roller and it looked like a pro spray job.

Plus the wagon is all beat up, painting right over 90% of the chrome trim n such, blacking the whole thing out, adding more skulls.

I was gonna remove all the trim, but it would of been a chore, someone said just paint it all, did a test on just the back with a rattle can and liked it.

After I bought these neat skull reflective decals for the rear tail light and took a pic, realized how weathered it has become. And needs a cheap face lift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    --------------------------
    13 Sep 2010
    aircompressor gave me a fit, ended up having to keep it close to get any coverage.
    Tried to hotwire it but must have some thermal temp switch in the motor that won't let it run very long. Was awful hot in the shed and it kept poopin out before it was filled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 Sep 2010
    I only painted the front end and the 4 doors since they were easily taped off from the rest. Now I just gotta finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 Sep 2010
    added these to the windshield today, 1 on each side.
    Just like the large one on the back window....
    [​IMG]
    ----------

28 Sep 2010
    Here are some night pics, the flash shows what is reflective.

I replaced the buick logo on the big back window skull with reflective but re-doing the whole thing would of been to much.

Also got a skull hood ornament now. $1 toy head I shoved over the stock one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -----
    02 Oct 2010

If the weather ever warms back up I can paint the back half but couldn't wait to stick these on.

The wing sections are covered in red reflective tape.

[​IMG]

3. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

nother dup, though they only just showed up????
    I did have problems postign last night.
    ----------

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  4. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

----------

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I like it without the trim. That front bumper is a little caddywompus in some pictures and looks straight in others...

I'm not a big fan of skulls and cross bones but the car is cool.

:Welcome:

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard!:Welcome: I think you've done a great job proving that Rustoleum is a great car paint. I rollered mine with it. 8 coats of wetsanding. 25 gallons of industrial grade? I used 1 to do mine. You must've got a deal. Looks stunning, and the price was right.(y)

I'm with tbird on the 'pirate' icons, but it is very well done just the same. Nice work.

7. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

I ripped the front end off a new hi-end Chrysler around 2000 when a guy pulled out in front of me on purpose, whole front end of it exploded into pieces. I bent my bumper n fender some as I drove right through it.

Guy then tried to claim I hit him head on, neither him or his insurance company would show up to court. I called it a done deal as I was already $600 in the hole for a lawyer and keep it as battle damage. [they gotta no show 3 times to win by default]

Though I need to pull it off and suck it in some, the rear has already been tucked in better. I may try n tweak it some but it adds charter.

The skulls are there to scare old ladies, women & small children.............

8. grandwagon

grandwagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome to the funny farm 350x:lolup::lolup:

9. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

Pics of the floor shifter; just had to cut a section out of the split bench seat but was keeping my armrest, so no buckets.

Used a give away 2nd gen Firebird console that I cut the box part off, and a Hurst V2 matic for the 3rd gen Aro/Bird that I also got for cheap.
    Wouldn't work on his 700r4.

I didn't like the action of the rubber boot, so I got another gimme condition 2nd gen Firebird console plate but the letters in the window didn't match up even close. Buddy who owns bryant-design made me a new light glow inlay for it that matched up right.

Its fun banging gears though. [At the column all I did was pull the pin for the lever, you want that still hooked up for the key lock out and safety switches, which is how GM did it for years in the floor shift cars, the column still turned, just no lever nub.]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the funny farm, 350X.
    Nice way to hook up a floor shifter and keep the split bench......
    I'd suggest taking time out from your modifications and get your headlights aimed (and your header panel repaired....) LOL.

Marshall

11. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

They are aimed just right for me ;), left front point about 10ft out on the center line, right one shines about 30ft out down the right side of the road.

My 2 center yellow spots behind the grille is what I use to see long distance and center.

If ya look close I got both stock type lights and 2 fancy hid lights, hated them, use the stock inners aimed as such. Like the yellow light much better.

Dunno on the laws if I could convert all to yellow.

12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Welcome to the forum. Lots of pictures, we all love lots of pictures. Visuals diffenately add to your description of your progress on your project. That is a very unique wagon you have there...really making it your own. Looks like your not afraid to try different things. Good luck with everything.:) Not sure why you want to scare old ladies, woman and children? I was wondering...is the skull on the dash from the guy that ran into you? :lolup:

13. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

At first I wanted to put that skull on the nose, but the mount would of had to be strong. Doesn't even fit on the dash really. I use magic to make it stay.

It was time for a theme build, something better then junky old wagon ;)

The summer went to fast, I wanted to get a BBB 455 put in it this summer, then put the SBB 350 in my Firebird, V6 from the Firebird into my S15.
    a hand me down upgrade for them all, as the S15 has a blown engine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

Here is the yellow tint info, I used krylon stained glass paint.

May 02, 2007
    So here are some test shots I did of the tint on some broken glass.

Its a spray on tint for glass. Cap of the can looked orange/amber but its a nice shootin glasses yeller.

I don't like colored tint, to thick and messes with optics.

You can see in these pics that it lays smooth and doesn't mess with the refraction qualities of the glass. In the last pic I sprayed some clear on top of it, but it screws up reflections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice build 350!! I gotta agree with the others on skull and crossbones motif. It's not my thing, but I'm really enjoying all the pics and details of your work. Keep it coming!! I definitely like that Punisher skull on your Firebird!