Would you buy a "new" 2015 car off the dealer lot?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by jim535, Sep 10, 2017.

1. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    A 2015 Toyota Venza is what I have in mind. Zero km. on it (supposedly - might go see it tomorrow). $CDN 15k off the MSRP.

A 2015 could have been sitting on the dealer's lot for three years by now. But the warranty would begin with the first registration, a plus.

Not for me. Looking for a car for my dad. Need an AWD for these bitter Canadian winters. Preferably Toyota.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Depends on why it sat there. Has your dad seen it, and if so, does he like it? What has the salesman told you about it?

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    Seems like the Venza was an un-loved model and didn't sell well. It was discontinued in 2016 (last model year). There's still a few new 2016's being sold off by Toyota dealers but, being Toyota, they still want full MSRP for the 2016s.

We test drove a 2010 with only 51k km. (32k miles) on the odometer. It was an immaculate car. But it's since been sold.

For not too much more money, the 2015 would come with the full Toyota warranty, which would be a plus. Will go see it tomorrow.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Here's to hoping it goes well. And, *raps knuckles on noggin* Knock on Wood!

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Toyota dealers shouldn't have something that old just laying around, unsold. I smell something fishy.
    Beware of a possible 'returned' vehicle that had 'issues'. If has more than 100 miles, that would be another indication that it was actually sold, then returned and the deal nullified.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

I had one of these as a rental for a couple of weeks in California.... gas mileage was terrible for the size of vehicle. I'd be very suspicious of that vehicle as well. I remember a Saab dealer I used to deal with from time to time always seem to have unsold "new" vehicles from past years on his lot, but I wouldn't expect the same from Toyota. Something is up with that car. Maybe damaged in transport and repaired before it was registered?

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck Jim. I've heard of a lot of "new" old cars not being sold and the only thing wrong was they sat around and got older. Somewhere at an old air strip is supposedly hundreds. Google "new" unsold cars and maybe something will come up.
    Or go to Houstin area or Florida for an even better choice of NEW cars.:rofl2:
    If your dad likes it and they service it, that's all that matters.:2cents:
    I bought a 2014 Impala in July 2015 with just under 20,000 miles and it's still like new..................... Except some fool backed into a cement block and dented the plastic rear bumper corner.:coco:

Even a new 2018 is used after a few minutes on the road.
    $CDN 15k off the MSRP.=== how much? I only paid $15,000 or less for the Impala with the 300HP engine and everything except the dash cam junk. I get 28 city and 32 highway with AC on and 75+MPH when I can.
    If dad's happy and you're happy, the dealer will be happy!:thumbs2:

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Interesting thread. In the beginning I was thinking sure, why not. But then got to think about what a few of you said about the returned car or damaged car, so then I was thinking ooohh yeeeah, no way. But then I thought about why would a dealer keep this car, returned, damaged or whatever, so now I'm thinking could be a good deal.
    I've never heard of a dealer having a 2 or 3 year old new car still on the lot. One year maybe but not two or three??? Interesting.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    We bought our very first 'brand new' car in July of 1975 - only a couple of months before the 1976 models would be out. The car was a new 1974 model that had never been sold. We were shopping for a used car when I saw the dealer ad - with an incredibly low price - like $1,000 below the sticker, which was a huge discount back then. Why was this car unsold? Most likely because it wasn't the most attractive shade of blue, and it was a 4-door sedan, and it had a rotary engine, and an automatic. I think the dealer had two - this blue one, and maybe a red or something.
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've bought several new trucks just before the new models came out. I even think I bought my 2004 Dodge quad cab in October of that year. It sat in the front row of the dealership near the highway. For many months it called my name. Then one day on the way home from shopping I stopped.! It had something like two miles on the odometer so was never driven by another potential customer.
    I couldn't afford a new Ford or Chevy truck.... Apparently no matter what color they were they were gold plated!

The first two photos were in 2015 when I traded it.:cry:
    My 20004 Dodge (3).png My 20004 Dodge (4).png Dodge Truck Rear.jpg When new with a Chevy truck topper and a trailer hitch on.
    I'd added dul exhaust, running boards, and more.
    Do you realize I paid more to not get a chrome grille or chrome bumpers?
    Then I paid $50 to get little Hemi SPORT lettering for the rear fenders.:coco:

11. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

[​IMG]

I remember car sales like you had, KK. I guess it was a different time, my late uncle 2x bout brand new of the lot more than a year old car that some how just got shoved/forgotten to the back of the lot ( a Galaxie 500 and then a AMC Ambassador, no frills point A-B cars) That were great dependable cars. However I do 100% agree with you when it come to "2017" and the car of any brand is still on the lot trying to be sold that is a year plus old...... I would not touch it!

Brand loyalty, I have none when it comes to the big 3, or any other for that matter....IMO, you take the gamble in todays day and age :juggle:

1999 GMC Safari van, 1st new ride for us, for my wife..... biggest lemon to the point of, I'll NEVER by a new GM product ever again let alone any GM that is not pre 1999. 2011 got the honey a new Ford Escape. Have to admit it has had ZERO problems period BUT, "FORD" keeps jerking us around regarding a recall notice we were sent about a fuel system possible witch could lead to a fire while driving ( look it up ). Been more than a year now and dealer, every tine it goes in for regular service gives us some new BS story about how:bump:.....................
    ............. Thanks FORD, we will be trading it in just before the extended warrantee expires, and we won't be getting a new FORD:sweep:

12. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Question: Why do you think your particular truck never got sold until you came along?