woodgraining decal tech

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by Dr B Smith, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I could have sworn there was a sticky thread for how to on applying the woodgrain decals on a car. I cant find it. Any one know which thread Im talking about?

Brian

2. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  3. 64squire

64squire New Member Charter Member

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    IIRC that '67 has a padded dash, but if you want to go even more retro, check this out. It might help to look through it if you're refinishing your moldings or any interior wood panels/door inserts/ dash features:

http://www.woodgraining.com/

5. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the info on woodgraining. What do you guys think about using the roller woodgraining tech vs the actual woodgrain decal for the center sections of the car? It really looks DIY friendly to buy their kit and roll the entire car after its been painted.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    If I had had more time and a garage to work in, I would have done it one of two ways: The roller woodgraining or marine varnish on real veneer. The decal product is fine. It has a porous finish like real wood, but it doesn't shape nicely around the bends and curves. The real veneer wouldn't either, but you'd more than make up for it with range of wood finishing techniques to get a nice edge and the right lustre/sheen on the wood.

The US Thomas Register (Industrial Catalog) has quite a list of US manufacturers of self-adhesive backed veneers. It's the finishing coatings that you have to focus on - Yachts and Sail boat vendors would be the ones I'd look for. You can get that veneer in 1/16" or less thicknesses. You could even do marquetry in it, with different woods! I.E. embed the Car badge names right in the veneer with a different colored wood.

Most librairies and institutions have the hardcopy or CD versions of the Thomas Register in the Purchasing Department, but it's also online:

http://www.thomasnet.com/

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I missed that you wanted to do the entire car.

The vinyl decal product seems to crack in hot, arid regions. Mine was from Mexico, and it was in rough shape on one side for sitting in the Sun for 7 years, and I saw others like that when we lived there.

I thought about doing the roof like that (roller woodgraining), but I figured it would wear off just because of the snow you have to broom off during the winter. Other than the ease and speed of the 'Decal' system, I still think real veneer is the best, because you can specify that the product comes from the same tree and get an extra few skins for repair. You can specify bookmatching, end grain and other layouts.

I would have gone Bird's Eye or Burl. 3M had a nice Rosewood Burl, in their Di Noc line, but they weren't running it this year (WG-364).

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...tchprint/Solutions/Di-NocFilm/ProductGallery/

8. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Speaking of Rolling paint. Check out Stormin's post in the Cosmetic&Restoration section on painting his car with a roller it is quiet interesting.

9. mick hoglund

mick hoglund New Member

woodgrain 4 wagons is actually my site. we sell the woodgrain and do the application. the early stuff was applied with a water/soap solution. the stuff we sell goes on dry. it's 3m but an updated version of the di noc.