Whitewall tires

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Hotrodtodd, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd New Member

I am planning to replace the tires on my new 87 Country Squire (the tires on it are original!) with new whitewalls.
    Any recommendations on better value than others out there? I see a whole range of whitewalls from $60 a piece to $300. Since the tire is the only part of the vehicle that actually touches the road, I do believe it is a wise investment to spend on better quality, but if the quality and ride is similar I would select the cheaper option.
    Thanks for your insight!

2. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

I recently put Matrix Multi-Mile tires on my big Electra as the white wall width seemed a bit wider then the few other brands of white walls that are available. These are available off the rack, so I didn't have to spend the big bucks to get Diamond Back or Coker tires. I've been running them for 2 years now without any issues and they are a nice comfortable and quiet tire. I think Hankook Optimo H724 still have a white wall tire option, but the white wall was a bit narrow for me and I didn't like he look of the sidewall generally (plus they were slightly more expensive).

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You might want to double-check on availability of whitewalls...in YOUR CORRECT SIZE.

I did a bit of checking some time ago, and found that 225/75R15 was available as a whitewall from a couple of manufacturers, but if you wanted to go to a lower-profile 70-series 235/70R15, you were pretty much out of luck unless you wanted to pay $300 per tire for some Avons.........

4. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

5. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm showing factory size on those to be either a 215/70R15 or a 205/75R15, not sure if that is correct or not but some I know of and sell regularly are:
    215/70R15- IronMan RB12- around $65 to $70 each here

Cooper trendsetter -40k warranty around $70 each here (I don't recommend these from personal experience)

Vercelli Classic 787- run around $65 and up (put some on friends Lincoln and he's been please, been a year ago)

Toyo Extensa A/S- 65k warranty run around $75 or $80 each. I had a set and liked them.

Uniroyal tiger paw AWP- 65k warranty, around $80 or so.

Tred Tech Suretrac 1.2" WW- don't know much about them but looks like around $80 each.

205/75R15 didn't see as many choices

Cooper trendsetter

Vercelli Classic 787

Toyo Extensa A/S

Nexen Priz AH5- 50k warranty for around $80

Hankook Optimo H724- 70k warranty and around $85 each (I have sold more of these than any others on the list. Sold a friend 4 sets. Twice for his Dodge Dakota and twice on his Ford Windstar. He swears by them. I have some on my C10 but I haven't put it on the road yet.)

Price was just to give you a idea of what they sell for here, I know they will be different but gives you a ball park figure of what they go for.

Hope this will be of some help.

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have the Toyo Extensa A/S in a 225/70R15 that 1tireman mentioned on my '91 Crown Vic and they seem decent. A little tire squeal around fast corners, but it is a 70 series tire after all. I have the whitewall side mounted facing the inside, but it is there.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yes, 215/70/15s are the standard tire size for box Panthers in '86(?), and the tires/wheels that had been on my brother's '90 Town Car are on my Ranchero, without any problems in rubbing or squealing, unless I take a corner too fast....

8. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I have the Toyota extensa 235/75 15's white wall out and I love them. I would look around at the manufacturer websites for the actual diameter or circumference of the tires. When getting mine I bought a different ww tire and it was an inch and a half shorter with a round shoulder. That huge colony park looked off to me with smaller tires. They replaced some old Michelins (like new) same 235/75 15 but were almost 2 inches shorter. The Toyos are much beefier in same size designation.

9. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

"Seven, around two, wrapped by one." Firestone 721s were a very good tire (my Fairmont had them, courtesy of Mom and Dad), and I bought them whenever I could afford them for the first several years of owning and driving cars.