Which GM Wire Wheel Cover Tool/Key Do I Need for My Estate Wagon?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by tfvesquire, Nov 8, 2017.

1. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am sorting thru the parts and accessories that came with the recent 1986 Buick Electra Estate Wagon I acquired. It has the factory wire wheel covers, but after searching thru the items provided by the seller, I don't see the lock removal key.

It would appear the wire covers on my dad's old wagon do not have the factory lock stud/bolt, but someone had swapped them out for a 1/2" bolt. I haven't pulled the center caps on the new wagon's to see if they still have the factory retainer stud or if someone has done the same swap.

If the new wagon has the factory retaining studs, I will need to purchase the correct tool/key to remove them so I can get to the brakes and ultimately install new tires.

Does anyone know what "color" key/tool I need to purchase thru Ebay so I can remove these covers? If I recall, on my dad's 1990 Estate Wagon the tool was metal,but I don't recall seeing a colored stripe on the tool. I know it is not one of the plastic lock keys/tools.

If anyone knows please post on here in case I need to start looking for one.

Thanks,

Ted

2. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

The wire wheel covers I had,I got rid of,because they squeak as the wheels turn.

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I think you are SOL in finding the exact key that fits your locks. We use to run across lost keys all the time when I had my shop. I had a "Custom Hubcap and Wheel Lock Removal kit" made by American Tool Co. (ATC). It was model number ATC 400 and contained 9 tools for removing USA manufactured vehicle locks. Don't know if they still make it or not.

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can find the ATC400 on ebay for around $40. If you want new you'll have to buy the Chinese made version: https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2840-Piece-Hubcap-Removal/dp/B000R6U084

Or you can figure out which key you need and buy one from the guy on ebay that seems to have a corner on the market and sells the original GM tools for $66. At the very least I think you are going to have to pull the cap off to at least see what shape key you need. We can't see that from here.

5. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Dorman has them.

6. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    UPDATE:

After looking for the correct tool for my dad's Buick locking hubcaps with the "C" stamped on the head of the bolts, he "made" his own removal tool out of a piece of modified pipe and removed the bolts yesterday. Going to forego finding the correct removal tool and simply swap the locking bolts for a set of 1/2 head bolts.

Cross that one off the list.

Only 58 more things to repair/clean/find!!

7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Way to go dad!!! I was gonna say, those keys are hard to track down because I think they made several different patterns to prevent anyone with a Buick from stealing your caps. I bought an 86 cutlass maybe 10 years ago from a dealership. Maybe a week later I discovered I had no wheel key. I whooped and hollered until they finally tracked one down that would fit. It took them a while and I have no idea where I got it. If I was still working I would definitely be getting one of those ATC400