Where's Model T ?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by ModelT1, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Hey man. Just now seeing this. Sorry for the loss. I can’t imagine what that feels like. I’ve only been alive a short while and never known ANYONE, not even my own mother for 62 years. It sounds like y’all had a great run though. Also sounds like she was cracking jokes until the end so she must have been happy and if she was anything like my dear ol’ grandma at that age, she was good and ready to move on. This is probably a juvenile comparison but it helps me to move on. I’ve lost a lot of close friends, all of them taken too soon. (My uncle was killed in a hit and run on his motorcycle just a few months back)and I just imagine that it’s like I’m back in high school and taking exams or some crummy test that’s causing a great deal of stress and anxiety. Then I look up and my buddy slams their pencil down triumphantly turns in their test, flips me an obscene gesture and walks out the door. Leaving me To suffer on with the only other kid left in class, the weird one that still eats his boogers... The point is she’s done with her test and skipping freely down the hall towards those sun filled double doors. She’s probably with all her old pals, heading to the parking lot where she’ll warm up your favorite hot rod and wait for you so y’all can ease on down the road towards that endless summer, picking right back up where you left off. My best friend died coming up on 5 years this November. He was one of the only really good friends I had left that wasn’t deceased, moved away, or captured and forced to live in a correctional block. That was A big reason for me getting on this forum and it’s helped a lot even though most of these people are jerks.;) It’s good to be able to “talk” to people who share the same interests and really does take your mind off the negative thoughts that can trickle in from time to time. We’ve missed you So don’t be a stranger please! If not for your sake do it for me because your one of the only people I like on this forum:rofl: hang in there buddy.

fannie and ModelT1 like this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Even near the end, before she fell, I'd hint that a cold soda or a cookie would be nice. Dollie would get up and walk to the kitchen to get me a snack. Sure, I could do it. I do now. But to keep her mind and body active, I'd have her do lttle things like that. I can't remember her ever refusing or complaining.
    I sure wish she was here now to bring me a beer!:drink:

Yes, I have watched all of the Blue Collar boys. Love Larry the Cable Guy's American tour. We watched those shows together.

fannie, 60Mercman and Grizz like this.
  3. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Crap you didn't ask but I'm gonna write anyway!:mg:
    That was kinda sweet Grizz. I'm not really a redneck or hillbilly. But my wife and her family were from a remote Minnesota town and sort of dressed, talked and acted real funny. Besides, we lived in the Florida boonies for 22 years.
    Dollie was a new Freshman at our large high school in a small midwestern town. She wore skirts or dresses down to her penny loafers, long sloppy blouses, and pig tails. Her clothes were so sloppy no one knew she had boobs and she just didn't fit in.
    I had male buddys. I had a car, a part time job, we fished, hunted, went to car and bike events. I was learning to play a Hawiian steel guitar, a flat top guitar, accordian, and other instruments. My plan was to become a big country star, or move to Kalifornia and work as a cartoonist for a guy named Disney. I drew girlie pictues and hot rod pictures for lunch money. Kinda nurdy and no time for girls!
    My little brother's girlfriend was Dollie's only friend at first. Mary fixed me up at least six times with girls in my classes. Back then, the drive in diner and drive in movie were where guys took dates. I'd finally agree to take one of those girls out. Now these girls were my age, kinda cute, and dressed like adult girls should dress. Trouble is, they had big brothers and anyone hitting on those sisters got beat up. Getting beat up wasn't one of my favorite things. So I'd sit on the far left of my Dodge and the date sat on the far right, as we watched the drive in movies. All those girls talked about were themselves, sports jocks, and clothes. I'd always drop them off at the curb and remind them, no more dates.

I said no to dating Dollie, repeatedly, when Mary asked. For some reason I agreed to ONE DATE. Dollie told me about her family, her past life in Minn, and asked about me and my life. We actually talked! I still don't think we snuggled or kissed on that first date. Again, I dropped her off at the street and probably mentioned 'no more dates'. Well, we dated again, and again, and many more times over nearly 64 years.
    By the way, I did find out she had boobs under her sloppy blouses.
    Dollie loved doing everything I did. We camped, fished, hunted, went to car drag races, demo derbys, bike events, climbed mountains all alone, walked miles of beaches, and snuggled at drive in movies. She'd wade thru mud, weeds, alligators, climb over rusty old cars, wander swap meets and yard sales, finding rusty car parts and smile all day. Dollie went to school events, helped with neighborhood sales and parties, Church, AARP. car clubs, biker meetings, and everything I menioned.
    The furnace man is coming or I'd still be writing.

fannie, 60Mercman and kevdupuis like this.
  4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Dollie sounds a lot like my wife Debra, Deb would help out in the garage and in the pits at the track when I ran S/A in the 90's, she'd even get underneath to help swap out a lunched dif between rounds

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Denny,
    I have never lost anyone that close to me. So I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be. I hope that in the coming days, weeks and months you and your family will find comfort in each other and in knowing she lived a wonderful life.

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I always remember what Dollie would say when one of her girlfriends asked "Why do you let him spend so much time in the garage... and why do you help him?"
    Her answers were " at least I know where he is and I help him because he loves it when I do."

Orth, I recently had my cardiac check up and my six month physical. Heart doc changed me to one year because my heart is better than ever. My family doc said all readings are great and below average readings. Both doctors spent more time talking about my wife than me. They told me my burden has been lifted and I'm doing fine.
    I really am, with my friends and kids here way more than usual.
    Sometimes I hear Dollie wandering thru the house. Sometimes I look around and think........ she will be home soon.! Sometimes I go online to forget!
    Other than that, I'm doing great.

One of our rare 'all dressed up' photos. I'm more of a sloppy shorts and tank top guy.
    Key Chain #1 (19).JPG

7. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ya know for an old guy, you and Dollie make a handsome couple. You sound and looks like you struck gold way above your pay grade. Like I said. I would have loved to tip a couple with you two.

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'm the old guy in the grey suit. The other two were highschool friends. Sadly most high school friends have graduated and are now in a class of their own.
    After Dollie had Catarac surgery and got new eye lenses I figured she'd see me and run away. She had 20-20 vision but was still blind and stuck around.
    I don't tell many. If Dollie drank with you, I'd only let her have two. Any more and her clothes seemed to fall off.

fannie likes this.
  9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    BIRTH & DEATH

I may not write about station wagons for awhile. But I will try to write.

My son's wife had five large expensive birthdays for daughter Isabella. Sunday she was six and Izzy planned to have her party on our breezeway/patio so grandma could look out a window or visit inside. In the past, the parties were with large groups of people most of the family didn't know in crowded restaurents.

Grandma didn't make it to Izzy's party but it turned out great. Because of the Coronavirus it was a family only party. Izzy still got her favorite Avantie's spegetti, a fancy cake, and way more gifts than any six year old needs.
    Each of our kids mentioned wishing mom could look out the windows. I told them she's watching!

There were a few awkward moments. Our daughter has a 22 year old girl of her own, plus a 24 yr old son and a 9 year old son. The father of the first two is a large overweight guy. The once slim, dark haired, cute daughter is now built more like her real dad. She'd been dating boys since before she should have. Something happened. Haley has been living over two years with her 'husband', a small female also 22. SHE is polite and quiet. Personally she looks more like a he than a she.

Oddly this almost always seems to happen. A woman who looks, acts, dresses like a guy is in love with a feminine woman? We've been to gay weddings so nothing bothers us.
    I was careful how I talked. Should I say "It's nice to see you guys?, you gals?, or what. Haley now has very purple long hair, fake drawn on eyebrows, and both 'ladies' vape. I just kidded Haley about how I love her hair and I was happy they were looking at a house together. The husband smiled and talked about Izzy's birthday. Haley joked and said "this is the hair I was born with grandpa."
    I used to think Dollie and I were kinky and strange............. I believe we were more normal than normal people!

It was probably the last decent day here this year. Warm, yet cloudy with chance of rain. It didn't rain till way after dark. The only problem was the 24 MPH gusting wind under that breezeway.

Sunday was a celebration of birth and death. The birthday part was great! I left my daughter in charge of Dollie's ashes and buying an Urn for her, each brother, and a tiny one for me. I didn't want one. I have Dollie's memories and the thought of ashes being lost over time still bothers me.
    The tiny urn, maybe a 2" stainless container with an Angel hanging from it, is perfect.

Yep, Sunday was a great day in the middle of Illinoiz.

Attached Files:

10. OrthmannJ

Sounds like a good day Denny. I'm sure Izzy had a wonderful time!

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That little girl has no idea how lucky she is. Today is officially Taco Tuesday with our oldest son and little Izzy bringing tacos. She called me today to tell me the bad news.:shocked: We'll have Taco Wednesday. Izzy was on her way home from school to play with the 100 toys and things she got for her birthday. A six year old that would rather play with new toys than grandpa!:49:

12. OrthmannJ

Taco Wednesday :LOL: Sounds good to me.

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We didn't have Taco Wednesday, or even Tenderloin Thursday! Son had to beg Izzy to come for our regular 'Pizza Friday'. Still, she brought a dozen birthday toys for us to play with, including the magic flying thing with changing colored eyes that I magically bought her.:29:
    She walked in the door saying "grandpa's watching old car shows again".
    Last Sunday Izzy turned six. Friday, 10-2, as she babysat ME while dad went and got pizza, Izzy acted more like she was 16, sitting in grandma's chair watching grown up cartoons. I didn't get to watch old car and station wagon shows!:bigsmile:

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Nope! No station wagon stories or wagon facts again. Just a copy and paste of the reply I sent another station wagon member. Some of this will be repeated and most likely be unbelievable.
    People ask how I can write and talk about my wife now.
    I'm not trying to push religeous beliefs. Actually I don't know why I'm here!
    The few times I've been in a church in the past 60+ years were weddings and funerals. We didn't even have a formal wedding and no funeral for Dollie.
    I don't plan my days writing or talking about Dollie. I'm actually trying to take my mind off her. Going on line and watching trucking, camping, and old car videos on YouTube help. But it all goes back to talking about the past and Dollie.
    I don't have many old old friends left. With the virus, they call and don't come over. First thing they want to know is how I'm doing. Then it's an hour talking about Dollie. Even last evening, while my son was getting Pizza Hut pizza, little Izzy (6) watched my TV and talked about missing grandma, as she sat in grandma's chair.
    Dollie was my past and she will be my future. I do get teary eyed but so far I smile and enjoy living. By doing this, I'm living.
    The only thing that scares me, I need to take a driver written test and driving test soon. I drive so little, I forgot how!

As I ate cereal and brownies for breakfast, that darn song came up again on the Alexa screen.
    She's an Angel, Let her Fly...... let Her Fly." I have to stop playing that song.
    For you non-country music members, I was playing Tammy country songs. Let her Fly was done by Tammy, Dolly, & Loretta. Until Dollie lay there dying, I rarely heard that song. I wanted Dollie to live, yet I wanted to let her fly. A song fitting my feelings.
    I wonder how many times Dollie and the invisible little girl talked when we weren't around? Yes, Dollie talked two different days to an invisble girl while in the nursing home. Dollie told us that little girl wants Dollie to follow her home.

Another song that made me sad, and made me smile, I think by Tex Ritter, "She's Waiting Just Beyond the Moon."
    We always kissed good morning and goodnight, until those last months when we couldn't be together. We often said wherever we go, we'll go together. I'm not a believer like many. I'm sure not a music writer. But now I see why those country stars had such great hits. They sang from the heart.
    Maybe Dollie is waiting just beyond the moon.

15. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ModelT1, I am so sorry for your loss.
    I haven't been on here lately and I just caught up with this thread.
    I can't imagine what you are going through, but I hope that your family, friends and these virtual friendships help you get through the tough days.
    Please take care of yourself and keep talking, writing and sharing.
    Your Dolly was obviously a special lady and you were both fortunate to have your time together.
    Be well
    Joe

ModelT1 likes this.