What Fuels can an ICE run on?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Stormin' Norman, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Aside from grades of Diesel and Gasoline, what other fuels have ICEs run on? Internal Combustion Engines.

2. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Although derived from the same origin, I would not call them a grade of diesel and petrol; LPG and CNG. Then we have off course ethanol (from model airplanes) and Nitro! Kerozine, at least a mixture with diesel, seems to work in normal diesel engines.

3. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oe, I almost forgot, the lately very popular vegatable oil (McDonalds frying oil). Cheap and almost a full substitute for diesel, without engine adjustment.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I'm lurking on a couple of serious Hydrogen inventor sites, with other engineers and techies, and they seem to be really making headway, but what about Methane?

It's close to propane, and since the arctic ice is known to be releasing a lot now that the permanent ice is melting, I wonder if it could be used.

I should point out that up until 1927, the Model-T Fords could burn wood alcohol. The advantage the Model-T, Model-A and his other pre-30's cars/trucks had was the manual timing control on the dash/steering column. You adjusted it for the fuel. I also wonder if the Magneto ignition helped make a cleaner burn.

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    If methane works, you could drive by a field of cows and load up some cow patties for the drive into work! :rofl2:

I was watching the news last nite, and they were saying that New Zealand has the worst emissions of any country. No major car emissions, no major polluting manufacturers. Cows, Sheep and goat herds are so big that the methane they produce is choking their country! Now, talk about a fart in a windstorm! :rofl2:

6. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Sounds like if the wind blows some one will get knocked out.:rofl2: