WANTED AC BRACKET 1977 FORD COUNTRY SQUIRE

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Psych62, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Psych62

Psych62 Well-Known Member

Thank you Doghead!

My refund is on its way..........

This is the feedback I left for the seller:

"This seller is a complete crook. Beware! He issued a tracking number for this item but it was never received by FedEx. Ordered my item on Jan 10th, by Jan 27th still no movement. Skeptical as to whether he even had the item in this first place. Asked Ebay to step in and he said he was on his way back to NJ and would talk to his "staff" when he returned. Contacted him two more times and he never responded. Had to ask Ebay to step in again to get a refund."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  2. Psych62

I found another bracket on Ebay. I'm glad I didn't buy it right away because the seller sent me an offer. I got 33 dollars off.
    It's more expensive than the other bracket but hopefully this seller won't d*ck me around like the first guy.

HotRodRacer likes this.
  3. Psych62

Part is on its way! Due this coming Monday........

HotRodRacer likes this.
  4. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see how ebay takes customers seriously in one market and seems to think that they're too big too treat customers like kings in other markets. After having become no response, I woke them back up, over the weekend, surprised to see that they had anyone available. However, that available "person" (AI-bot, call center peeon?) doesen't seem to feel like dealing with it:
    This attitude sounds unprecedented for ebay. Especially, since I trusted their reputation, paying the entire sum in advance.
    My next step will be to go over their heads, contacting Ebay's U.S. headquarters. If even they turn a blind eye, that'll be not only my last dealings with them. This sort of news could put a dent on their action here, also

Egay.jpg

5. Doghead

Has everyone placed their bets? :huh:

6. Psych62

Got the part. Has some surface rust, Paul says it is not a big deal and is going to clean it up and paint it flat black like the rest of the AC parts. We had a terrible rainstorm yesterday, so he couldn't put it in the wagon (no garage), but he has our first bracket side by side with this new one and there is a difference, he is almost certain that it's going to be OK. Will keep everyone posted. Almost there!

This "bracket story" has turned out to be quite a saga!

7. Psych62

DSCF0182.JPG

Doghead likes this.
  8. Psych62

See above............CORRECT bracket is the one on the right, the incorrect bracket is the one on the left (the first one purchased, that didn't fit). See the difference? Paul put it in the car and it lined up perfectly! Quest is over! :shocked::)

wagoninsane likes this.
  9. Doghead

The proper one has evidently seen service within one or more of those dreaded Salt Belt states, as seen on its image's right-hand side. From here, it's furthest to the right mounting hole appears to be quite thinned out. It's probably no big deal. However, if you feel like applying extra measure, hubby could build up that pitted area with an arc welder and then grind it back down flat, if he felt like it.
    That ebay stood behind you is comparitively a marathon feat, given that they won't budge on this side of the Pond. It seems, they've turned over all of their customer relations to chat bots. I threw the issue back to home base. But it's almost been 24 hours since posting and I still haven't gotten any bites: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Repor...-it-back-to-Japan-for-no/m-p/34273963#M122422

10. Psych62

"Ebay of Germany, where the item was shipped, simply surrendered negotiations with the seller, telling me that I need to request a refund from my bank."

That stinks! What happened to Ebay Seller Protection? If it were American Ebay you would be reimbursed in short order. So sorry you have to go through this. Hope you get your money back.

Yes, the bracket has "acne" on it (salt corrosion?) and I can see what you are talking about the mounting hole. I will bring it to Paul's attention.

Doghead likes this.
  11. Psych62

"If you feel like applying extra measure, hubby could build up that pitted area with an arc welder and then grind it back down flat, if he felt like it."

We have no arc welder, unfortunately.

Paul sez: "Was considering the old "JB Weld" idea. I have held motorcycle frames together with that stuff!"

It's a thought.

12. Doghead

I wonder why Ebay's parent company isn't supervising Ebay Germany? It's almost as if Ebay want's to go bankrupt. I quit using Amazon, because they set it up to where they couldn't be reached anymore. It seems, they've gotten to big.
    Even if I get a refund, there's no reason as to why it should be so easy for warehouse employees to help themselves to stocked items with impunity and there should be no reason for why heads aren't rolling, if it's true that they're sending stuff back to these products' countries of origin. It used to be that sellers were kept honest, knowing that Ebay would cut them off, if they were to pull some hanky panky. It's sad, because I used to do plenty of business with them.
    I now use this platform, as a guideline. They're pretty accurate. Although, I once found an item even cheaper, through doing some digging myself:
    https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=ford+kopfdichtung
    I've heard about that stuff. I used something similar for building up cooling fins going in a different direction on an aluminum cylinder head. Holding a frame together and building up an area where torque is holding down a plate seems to me to be different applications of force. I guess, he could experiment with it. If it doesen't hold, there's always the Old School method to fall back upon.
    In any event, getting access to an arc welder isn't that difficult. If he can't rent one somewhere, a shop could build that plate back up or he could go to one of those do-it-yourself repair bay rentals and weld it himself there

13. Psych62

Paul came through the front door today, crying...........read on.............

"OMG!:nailbiting: The Nightmare goes on. Yesterday, pre-Superbowl, took advantage of the beautiful day and got everything prepared for the new compressor installation. Rerouted the fuel lines. Moved around and secured wires. Replaced weeping valve cover gaskets. Today got off work at 1 p.m. Another beautiful day. O.K. Lets do this! O-Wait. Have to install the new receiver/drier. No big deal, right? La-De Da.... I go under car. What's this? :eek: One of the pipes to receiver/drier is disconnected.! :eek:Some piping on the condenser is pinched and the pipe fittings don't line up to the old receiver/drier unit, that's already on the car. Two and a half hours, I tried to connect that fitting. Loosened everything. Nope, it won't go on. Laying on my back crying, asking for God's help. Gave up. Went to my favorite mechanic was now 4:30 p.m. He said you need a new condenser unit. Took my number, will call me tomorrow. Just take me out back and shoot me already!" :yikes:

14. Doghead

Getting that bracket moves you both over the mountain. That was your main objective. The rest is just peripheral.
    If the compressor was missing, it wouldn't matter anymore, if the system was left open through not having the dryer connected or not. Once the system is left open for whatever reason, renewing the dryer becomes mandatory. As soon as everything's hooked up, you'll have to veccuum down the entire system anyway, before charging it back up with refrigerant. This will remove moisture from the system. Don't forget to make sure that refrigerant oil is also to be introduced into this system. The dryer is to be installed at the very end of repair, in order to avoid moisture entering it.
    Those damaged pipes are no big deal, if you go out and fetch spare piping, a pipe cutter, a pipe bender (if required) and spilcing connectors.
    Not mentioned in the following video are suggestions to retighten these fittings, after running the system for awhile, as well as to ream the cut pipe's internal side, because every obstruction to flow will act as an evaporator valve, reducing the system's efficiency

15. Psych62

Paul sez:

"Hello Mark! As always, you're totally correct. Yes, the bracket was key. Got it installed today. All the pulleys line up perfectly. I now need to install the pulley and belt, plug it up, add some juice and see what happens. Went crazy with the vice-grips and managed to attach the A/C pipe fitting as the last picture shows. Hope it does not leak. Will know soon. Thank You again for your help and advice kind sir." DSCF0189.JPG DSCF0188.JPG DSCF0190.JPG