Vista Cruiser Woodgrain Vinyl

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by BlueVista, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

I put the woodgrain info with the thread with my wagon pics but maybe I can save somebody the trouble I had figuring it out here where it's easier to locate.
    If you like it it's Sharpline Converting digital Cherry Oak woodgrain vinyl.
    It's printed on 3M high performance 2 mil vinyl film and has a clear applied after printing, not laminated. Correct cast type vinyl and made for automotive exterior applications. The original vinyl had a wilder grain pattern but this is the closest I could find that was correct for a car, some will look okay but is dull or won't last, you get what you pay for with the stuff.
    You have to buy it through a distributor unless you have connections at a place that can get it.
    I ordered it through New Life Auto Trim in California, very good service and best price. They drop-ship it from Sharpline and that's in this area so no huge shipping costs, came fast too. The vinyl was about a hundred bucks for a 15 x 95 inch roll, it's 16 x 96 but there's a 1/2" border that isn't printed on the edges. I had it professionally installed, cost me 125 bucks. I tried a small section and it's not for amateurs if there are a lot of compound curves and costs way too much to play with. It says in the 3M literature to only apply it dry, my new friend and vinyl application lady Jan has been doing it for 33 years and she says there full of it and uses a soap and water solution.:) Only used a heat gun a little, thick rubber squeegee (plastic will scratch the clear) heat from her hands to form it on the wheel openings flares mostly, one razor blade.:)

http://www.newlifeautotrim.com/woodgrain.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and description, Blue Vista. I think you chose the right color woodgrain for your era V.C. - looks factory-installed! I have some extra woodgrain Di-Noc for my '90 Colony Park that has instructions, and they also say to use a very diluted soapy solution to wet both the body panels and the sticky side of the woodgrain. This allows you to make small adjustments to the position of the Di-Noc during installation, without damaging it.

3. kolby66

kolby66 Active Member

On the Oldsmobiles, are the grain types differant between 70, 71 and 72? I know that the interior wood items are differant. Thanks for any information

4. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

They're the same.

The Oldsmobile parts catalog show the same woodgrain transfer part number for '69-'72 Vista Cruisers.

5. kolby66

kolby66 Active Member

Thanks for the informaation, I have a cousin who is an Oldsmobile purist, and if the grain is not perfect he will not want to use it, on his 70 Cruiser. Thanks again, I need to start rooting around my parts catologes more. Thanks again for the info.

6. rexjet

rexjet New Member

Anybody know which vinyl is correct on a 71 (White) Vista Cruiser?

7. rexjet

rexjet New Member

woodgrain

Tried the link but it didn't work... Anyone know where to get the woodgrain for a 71 Vista Cruiser?

8. l6conv

l6conv Member

I also tried the link got nothing. Looking for woodgrain for my 67 Vista , can you supply a phone number or business name that has the correct stuff? Thanks