Vinyl Woodgrain Removeal

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by carnut4life, Dec 21, 2021.

1. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

My buddy has a rust free, original paint 1967 Chevelle Concours Wagon he's getting back on the road after 30 years. He's going for the patina look but the original woodgrain was just too worn to keep so he's going to replace it but he's having trouble getting it off so I was wondering if anyone from this group has any good idea's to help him get it off without damaging the paint below? The vinyl on top comes off pretty good but the adhesive down below is very hard to get off and I figured several people here have been through this before. Anybody got any tips I can pass on to him for stripping this off? Thanks, Chad

Attached Files:

fannie likes this.
  2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Hi carnut, welcome to the forums.

Back in our sign business days, there used to be a product called a "Vinyl Zapper" by MBX that would take off the old vinyl (which is what woodgrain is) without heat or paint damage. They were not cheap tools at the time (around 400 if I recall correctly) and it was a slow process. But that is one way that I know of - no guarantees, your mileage may vary.

fannie likes this.
  3. carnut4life

carnut4life Member

Thanks for the welcome and reply HotRodRacer. He has some sort of eraser wheel already but I doubt it's a vinyl zapper so I'll pass that on to him. Thanks again, Chad