Vinyl effect paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by daniels, Jun 2, 2018.

1. daniels

daniels Active Member

I would like to paint the top of my Chevy with a black paint textured looking like a vinyl top, or something like that. It will look cool with the burgundy and the wood paint job.(both done)
    Any idea what paint to use? I don't use spray gun, since I have no idea how to use them. I use brush and rollers.
    Thanks

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, there was a product that was sprayed on to simulate a vinyl top. Dodge offered it on some pickups from the factory. My brother had a 70 Maverick that had it either dealer added or aftermarket. Although it was called a "painted on vinyl top", it appeared to be basically what we no see as a spray on bed-liner for pickup trucks. It did not look like a vinyl top. It looked more like undercoating. I would suggest that you skip the textured look and just paint the roof in the desired color to make it two-tone.

3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Well-Known Member

If you are dead set on a texture, you can check out Monstaliner. This stuff is big in the Jeep world, and I used it in the bed of my '71 C10. You roll it on with a special textured roller to get the effect. It may be close to what you want, there are many photo examples on their website. http://www.monstaliner.com/

4. daniels

daniels Active Member

Thanks, I will look at this product. And yes I can also paint the top just black. But without textured paint the roof will look sad:(

5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Well-Known Member

Monstaliner will send out paint chip samples for free, so you could always order a couple in the color you want to see if the texture matches too. Just a thought.

6. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

What makes you think it won't look crappy once the bedliner gets aged a bit. That stuff don't stay shiny. It gets dull and grungy after it gets weathered a bit.

7. daniels

daniels Active Member

Good point.

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Duplicolor now sells a spray on vinyl paint that can be peeled off once applied. It's kinda like a vinyl wrap. You said you don't do spray painting, but a serviceable spray gun can be had at Harbor Freight for ten bucks if you have access to a compressor to run it. Also, the paint store I used to deal with would put your paint in one quart spray cans if you wanted. There may be a store near you that provides that service too.

9. daniels

daniels Active Member

Many thanks

10. martyk98

martyk98 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I say ditch the spray idea, save your money, and get a vinyl roof when you can afford it. The cost of materials for your spray idea aren't that cheap. If it turns out bad, (which is a distinct possibility), the time and effort of stripping it off will more than negate the cost of a vinyl roof from the upholstery/body shop.

Poison_Ivy likes this.