Vacuum line location-89 mercury colony park

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 89Mercury, May 12, 2017.

1. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    I had a serious issue of blow by with my motor with my motor so I decided to invest in the vehicle and have the motor removed and rebuilt. Picked her up today and drove to work and noticed its hesitating when accelerating. She will build up speed but if you push the pedal all the way down you don't get an instant response. So of course I called engine place and stated they only cover the internal parts of the motor.If a sensor or vacuum line or fuel injectors are bad that's on me. So long story short I checked engine compartment and noticed this red line unplugged and wondered if any one new where its suppose to go?and what it does?Right now its laying by the back of the manifold by PCV valve. Also open to ideas on what could be causing this accelerating issue if not the line. Im pissed that I just paid $2600 and have to deal with this issue. Just trying to keep a good wagon running...lol...Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. bcschief

bcschief Member

2nd picture is the fuel pressure regulator that vacuum line gets hooked to manifold vacuum.

Brian

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, there should be a second hard line that red line on top plugs into (there are three total back there, one large and two small. If the engine company did the R&R to the engine and charged you for it, they certainly ARE responsible for all work done to remove and replace the engine. Luckily, this is just a small thing, but that does not excuse any lapse of paying attention to the job. I was held to that standard; you should expect their mechanics to submit in the same way.

WagonKiller likes this.
  4. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's what I thought.I will never go their again or recommend them. What does the red line that's disconnected do? The red line that's hooked up in second picture is the fuel regulator right. So with that being said , the red line in second picture that isn't hooked up, that plugs into a line located back their? Is it just a line or a sensor or something?what does it look like. Would this one disconnected line be causing my problem? Thanks

5. bcschief

bcschief Member

Without it being plugged in the fuel pressure would be maxed out

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Been a while since I worked on one of these but there may be a hardline in a funky spot on the intake, perhaps "underneath" in the back where you cannot "see" it. Would be on the underside of where it's laying? If it has anything to do with being a main feeder it could be throwing off the timing by letting vacuum bleed off.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

It's color-coded: red is manifold vacuum, green is EGR control vacuum, white is Thermactor control vacuum and black is other vacuum-controlled units.

8. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    well,I tried to find a line that didn't have a connector this morning but could not find one. I looked behind the manifold and underneath.So at this point i'm frustrated. I think maybe the shop I had do the rebuild maybe hooked another line up wrong.I really have no idea. I'm going to attach some more pictures if anyone has any ideas or notices something is hooked up wrong. Thanks again in advance...

Attached Files:

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Isn't there a vacuum diagram on the spec decal mounted on the core support?

WagonKiller likes this.
  10. bcschief

bcschief Member

The last photo is the MAP sensor running this unhooked would also cause major drivability issues. It hooks to manifold vacuum also

11. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure.I will check.Thanks

12. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    I found that out this morning. I disconnected it while running. The vehicle immediately stalled out. But didnt know thats what its called...Thank you..

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

I have to run my niece to work, so I'll take a quick trip to my storage and snap an underside pic of the upper plenum I have from a '90 engine, post it up for you.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

OK, for reference, here's all the underside vacuum connections, from the hose with the red stripe to the black hose with the zippy tie:
    1) that red-striped hose goes to the MAP sensor, and the opposite nipple goes to the EVAP system;
    2) the big piece has three connections: the big one feeds the vacuum manifold on the firewall, and each of the two red nylon lines connects to the other two smaller vacuum lines, FP regulator to the one closer to the center, the EGR to the one farther away;
    3) on the Panther platform cars, the opposite nipple from the three-pronged one is for PCV, but is usually routed and plumbed the way you see here.