Trying to join the club.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by notaclue, Sep 3, 2018.

1. notaclue

notaclue New Member

Hi everyone, This is Shawn checking in from Michigan. I am trying to buy my 1st wagon. My friend is trying to convince me to buy a 75 royal monaco, he says they are rare. Seems to be in good condition. Asking price is 8k, probably more then I want to spend. I think I am nervous to spend a lot of money when I dont know anything about wagons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

fannie likes this.
  2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Notaclue, you have come to the right place to find advice, information ,and most of the time some tasteful humor! I don't know about the asking price of the Monaco. Seems to me the price may be a little high unless it's pristine, just because something is rare doesn't justify a high price tag. Wait for some of the other forum members who are more verse on the 1970's Dodge wagons to chime in. Hope you find a wagon that will suit you and again welcome to the forums!....Longroofs Rule!

3. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Let’s see some pics of that thing! Does it have hideaway lights?! Welcome to the forum. If you don’t buy that one look around here. Maybe one will pop up in your area. The thing about station wagons is that they’re just like a regular car. Only longer. Good hunting!

4. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's see pictures!! I am looking for a Monaco wagon myself, to go with my 75 Monaco bluesmobile. That's a little high priced for my blood too, I like a project I can say I fixed. Them wagons are rare but not as popular as GM's of that year. Try to post some pictures so we all can give more accurate advance!!

5. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

412.jpeg here is my Monaco that I brought back from the dead, I have just over $3000 into it and love it. When I go to a car show it always draws a crowd

fannie and Grizz like this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard notaclue. As others have said previously, a little more info and some photos would help us help you.
    Either way, a classic wagon is always a great choice.

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: aboard.

Soooo what are you thinking?

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Advice? We've got your advice right here.......

We've got to find out a bit more though, Shawn, before that advice can be tailored to your situation.....

- So this friend of yours is wanting you to buy a '75 Dodge Royal Monaco wagon. Is this currently HIS wagon? If that's the case, I might be a bit suspicious about his motives.

Here's the page from the 1975 Dodge Monaco brochure, showing the Royal Monaco Brougham wagon. These wagons, which also included Plymouth and Chrysler versions, were the largest passenger-car wagons the Chrysler Corp. ever made. Their last year was 1977. The standard engine in the Royal Monaco Brougham wagon in '75 was the 400 cubic-inch V8 (an enlargement of the previous 383 V8). The 440 cubic-inch V8 was optional. Needless to say, you won't be passing many gas stations with one of these. You would do well to get around 13 mpg around town.
    [​IMG]

Probably one of the most important considerations should be concerning its current condition. Engine issues can be addressed, but if it has any cosmetic issues, like worn-out Di-Noc wood grain, THAT would be a huge problem. As far as I know, the special pattern you see displayed here with the lighter-color strip, is not available anywhere. You would probably have to locate some 'regular' dark-toned transfer, and then manually apply a separate lighter stripe on top, instead of it being all in one piece. Could be more issues with the interior as well, but there are companies that do have most fabrics.

To get any more specific Shawn, we would need more info and pics on the specific wagon, and also a little more about YOU. This might be the PERFECT wagon for you. Then again, there might be something you are not thinking about, that could lead us to suggest a different type of wagon.

Welcome to the forum!
    Marshall

fannie likes this.
  9. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome notaclue!

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: