Trans fluid level question

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Clark, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Clark

Clark Member

I recently changed the transmission pan fluid, filter, and pan gasket on my 68k-mile Buick LeSabre wagon and 200-4R trans. It shifts and drives fine, but before the change the dipstick always read an extremely high fluid level (like, way over the hot mark on the stick). I was following the service manual directions for proper fluid level check.

Now, my owner's manual says a fluid change is about 3.5 quarts, but I did let the wagon sit for a few hours to drip out. Now I've added a little over 4 quarts back in and the dipstick has no reading on it at all. Still following the same check procedure.

I'm scared to add more and overfill, but I don't want it to overheat or run goofy either. Since the change I have driven it short distances and the shifts felt crisp and normal. Has anyone experienced anything like this? What do you do? I searched and found this thread which describes something similar; that turned out to be a missing filter, but I'm 100% certain that I didn't leave it out.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Fluid level is predicated on, and directly proportional to, temperature. Ideally, you want to start it from cold, drive in-town for five or so minutes in overdrive lockout (or Third if an older three-speed), pull over somewhere safe, and immediately check the level. when the level is correct it should be on the dipstick, in the crosshatch or between the holes on the stick. If it's below the low mark add ONLY one pint then wait five with the engine idling, and recheck. Topping off is a bit of a chore, and unless you measured the old fluid, the spec is only a guideline. For example, some GM and Ford overdrives take between 3.5 and 5 quarts with a filter change, so what you want to do is, once the pan's clean and reattached, pour in two quarts, start the engine, pour in another quart, then run the shifter through each gear position all the way down to First and back up (in order to fill each passage and component that might've drained while sitting), then pull the stick, clean, dip and read. Add 1 pint at a time after the initial fill till the level's within the marks. Other transmissions have differing ways, so read up before performing the service.

Clark and ModelT1 like this.
  3. Clark

Clark Member

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

4. Clark

Clark Member

Success! I think.

I followed your recommendation tonight; drove for a few minutes into town with the OD locked out, then checked the level at idle and added a little bit at a time, waiting a few minutes between checking the dipstick. I saw the level come up just a bit every time. Once it came up to the top of the cold level, I took a drive at highway speeds for about 15 minutes (back in OD), then pulled over to a station and checked. It definitely made it into the crosshatch of the hot fill level, so I'm pretty satisfied.

While I was adding, I did have to repeat 3 or 4 times, basically sitting on the side of the road for 30 minutes. A chore, as you said.

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yup, a chore. Doing it in the shop with the customer waiting is a different chore...you have to be faster.