Toyota launches Pixis Space; first kei cars are Daihatsus in drag

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Sep 9, 2011.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Minivan/Van, Wagon, Japan, Hatchback, Toyota, Daihatsu

[​IMG]

Toyota has announced that it will unveil its first-ever kei car to be sold under its recently launched Pixis sub-brand. The vehicle, called the Pixis Space, will make its official debut in late September. Based on the Daihatsu Move Conte, the Pixis Space will be sold at Toyota dealerships through what the automakers calls "Pixis stations." Yes, seriously.

After Toyota's version of the Daihatsu Move Conte makes its debut, the Japanese automaker will launch a Pixis-badged Daihatsu Hijet truck and microvan in December. By the end of 2012, Toyota says it will launch a Pixis version of the upcoming Daihatsu e:S - a vehicle that returns 70.6 miles per gallon (U.S.) as measured under Japan's JC08 test cycle.

In case you weren't aware, Daihatsu - Japan's oldest manufacturer of automobiles - operates under the control of Toyota. In other words, these Pixis machines are simply badge engineering at the kei level.Toyota launches Pixis Space; first kei cars are Daihatsus in drag originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Gross. That's all I can say. That's not style, short of that of a cardboard box, and the wheels and tires are way too small for the vehicle. Given the choice between getting a ride and being seen in one of these nondescript ugly things, I'd opt to use my legs, thank you very much.
    Sorry, definitely not my cup of tea.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You two must not have noticed the "CUSTOM" model. It comes with and antenna, dual side mirrors and deluxe turn signals!!!

5. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    please call these gross contraptions mini vans they are too ugly to be called a station wagon

6. VistaWindowDreamer

VistaWindowDreamer New Member

:clap::agreed: Like many modern vehicles labeled as a "wagon," a completely laughable.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    They were solely developed for the Japanese market where parking spaces were limited. Using small engines, they were less expensive to have taxed and insured. Here is a Daihatsu Sirion aimed for export. It looks like it was designed to appeal to international customers

Dai_Sirion_WT.jpg Dai_Sirion_WT_2.jpg
    Dai_Sirion_WT_3.jpg

8. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Conte Custom looks like a Scion XB with the back cut off. All the storage space of a duffel bag. With gas under $2.00 most places. These should sell like Susan B Anthony dollars. Agee with above comments. I think people throw the word “wagon” around a lot. I’m a bald fat guy.... I think I want to be called Paul Newman.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I've been called all kinds of things, myself. You know, when you hook up with a woman of which you have little in common resulting in not superceeding 5 minutes of conversation, they could nevertheless get pretty imaginative, when it comes to name-calling