The poor man's rust prevention program.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 12ozMouseBoner, Jul 31, 2017.

1. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

Hello,

This is just a quick, easy to do process that helps prevent rust on your wagon.
    Also, its a great process if you're dirt fucking poor.

Ahh the wagon, America's family starship. Like any other Rockefeller approved vehicle, your vehicle uses oil as it's life blood. That oil needs to be changed every 4,000 to 6,000 miles, otherwise that engine of yours won't be happy. REMEMBER, A happy engine gets you anywhere... or else.... Any who, oil changes are a regular part of car life, but that expired oil can still be used!

Among a list of things that can be done with used oil, rust prevention is one of them.

I personally use used oil on the undercarriage of my cars. I brush on nice, grimy, old oil on the frame, bed pans, anything that's exposed or needs to be treated every two weeks. I put on at least 3 to 4 coats, any spots that really need it, I take a wire brush and grind down the spot. then smother a mixture of nickle and grease onto them. Hard to reach areas I spray down with PB blaster. So far I've used this technique on my bronco and I've had great results.

When ever I re-paint parts or frames, I grind down ANY rust, brush off the dust and rub on a very thin coat of used oil, then I spray on two coats of Cold pressed nickle compound, then seven to ten coats of petroleum spray paint.

That's my process, now let's simplify it in three easy steps!

STEP ONE:
    DECIDE
    Locate any rust on any part, any part at all. Determine whether it's easy to service or not, If not just spray down with PB Blaster until soaked. Do this at least once a day until free of rust (The metal will look mottled. ) If it's easy to service continue to step two!

STEP TWO:
    GRINDR
    If the effected area is easy to service, grind that rust down until bare metal has surfaced.
    You can use sand paper but a grinder (any cheapy grinder will suffice) will make the process much faster.

STEP THREE:
    SHAKE THAT ASS
    If you're in a financial bind and can't afford paint, just paint the areas with used oil once every two weeks.
    If you have some disposable income, just grab some cheap cans of rustoleam paint from walmart and some cans of cold pressed galv (nickle compound) and spray down.
    First just rub a little oil on the bare metal, wait for it to dry. Then spray the nickle compound on the treated areas. Lastly spray the finish paint on the nickle, can be any color you want. You can add clear coat as an optional layer, but it helps protect the paint.

REMEMBER WITH OIL, THE BLACKER THE BETTER.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    A mechanic at the Sunoco gas station where I apprenticed sprayed the under carriage of his '63 Buick with old oil from a spray gun, before every winter. He claimed it effectively prevented salt damage. I only use old oil in my oil can. I lubricate fasteners and electrical connections on low-voltage lightbulbs.
    The oil I presently use was drained from a carbureted vehicle which I cannibalized for body parts to replace the rusted ones on the car I drove daily. It was pretty black. Meaning that a high carbon content colored the oil. Carbon, itself, is a lubricant and engine oil, in general, is formulated for lubricating near-equal alloyed metals operating under friction with each other such as camshafts and tappets, for example.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    12ozMouseBoner likes this.
  3. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

I heard oil alone wasn't enough for wear protection for those old engines, wasn't nickle added with oil back in the day?

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    It would only have made sense, if the friction alloys were absent of nickel.

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I'm in the habit of polishing my engine compartment with an oily rag every oil change. Don't think it does anything really but it keeps everything shiny!

6. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I thinned used engine oil with some mineral spirits and sprayed everywhere I could access on my 89 Plymouth Reliant winter beater then let it soak in for a few days before I drove it, it made me sad when it was T-boned and wrote off last year, the car was still in really good shape.
    I've rust checked my Magnum every year since new though it sits most of the time, but if I go on any long distance runs it's what I use winter or summer.

7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    When the Camaro rearend and a valve cover in my '55 Chevy wagon had an oil leak I kept it safe from salt and water when I drove on the beach. The extra coating of beach sand prevented rust.

12ozMouseBoner likes this.
  8. daniels

daniels Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I coat regularly the undercarriage of my Chevy with a mix of oil and kerosene. It help a lot. I do it every month.

9. GJ442

GJ442 New Member

You can also smear anything with grease. It won't drip and doesn't need to be regularly reapplied. Once dirt and dust stick to it it makes a pretty impervious coating.