Tailgate window woes

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Vista, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I acquired a rust-free 66 Olds tailgate (should be similar to 64-67 A body wagons) complete with glass. The glass is inside (down) and I am trying to disassemble the tailgate. When I apply power to the motor, I here it hum, but no movement. The window regulator mechanism is behind the glass so I can't access anything. Short of breaking the glass, is there any way of removing the glass? I've removed every external bolt I can find. It doesn't appear to be firmly attached to the regulator at the bottom of the glass. Can I turn it upside down and let the glass slide out with a little persuasion?

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The regulator may be rusted. The question should be, is the glass bolted to the regulator? Technically, even if you destroy the glass, if it's bound up, it'll still not work, and you smashed the glass for not much, if any, gain. Can you take and post pics of the insides, the regulator attachment to the glass, see if it jogs someone's memory?

3. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's hard to see because of the dirty glass and reflection, but the mechanism is mostly corrosion free. I may have to drill out the spot welds and remove the skin. IMG_1557[1].JPG

4. filthy1

filthy1 Member

Im sure your already done with glass removal and was wondering how it went. Ive just removed 2 tailgate glass and mechs.

5. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Actually, it's been sitting in my garage as I've been trying to get my Fairlane back on the road. I think I will drill out the spot welds and de-skin the tailgate.

6. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

Hi Vista

First make sure you are sending power to the proper wire .... the ultimate would be to plug the connector into an original wagon switch and try it.

Yes ... the window should slide out if you can disconnect it from the regulator .... usually two fasteners at the bottom of the glass ... sometimes two nylon rollers in a track etc.

I have replaced hundreds of windows in car doors .... my least favorite job .... hundreds of cuts on hands along with new cuss words

wagoninsane likes this.