Tailgate glass lower seal...help

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by JaySco, Sep 30, 2019.

1. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I've been fudging with this thing for a week now, just cant figure out how to install it. The vehicle in question is a 65 Falcon wagon but I'm sure theres others that are similar. The rubber must slide into the channel but I cant get the glass in, or i can put the rubber on the glass but then cant fit both into the channel. Tried dish soap and silicon spray. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Lowrider

Lowrider Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is a guess but any chance you can spread the lower channel a little the squeeze it back to hold the glass?

3. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I was thinking about that but I'd have no idea if it would work, with my luck id squeeze a corner too hard and shatter the glass. At this point the glass still isn't installed, thinking about just taking it to a shop.

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Put the rubber on the glass and lube it well. Starting at one end, pound the channel until the rubber enters it and slowly work your way across the glass. Once it is started all the way across, continue and seat it all the way. You may have to go back and forth several times. I always used the tire lube that is used when installing new tires.

5. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

After countless failed attempts I just took the glass, rubber, and channel to a glass shop. The installer said he needs the car...long story short: pretty much impossible to use the new rubber. Used a tube of some DOW adhesive from the shop, packed it in the channel, inserted glass, rolled window up into place, let dry. Seems to work even though I made a huge mess of the adhesive.

6. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Well that just sucks. What was teh root cause that you weren't able to use it? Was it the wrong specs when made?

7. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

According to the glass guy there was a machine used originally that was specifically made for this job and of course they no longer exist. I have no idea how true it is but after trying to monkey frick this thing together for this long it sounds likely.