Supping Up a 91-96 GM Full Sized Wagon

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by AliceSML79, Mar 15, 2017.

?

Can a Estate Wagon Version Be Built

1. Absolutely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Possibly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not a Chance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

There's a show I watch called engin power and they put a Cadlack LSA SC Stroker in a 93 Caprice Classic Sedan. I'm trying to figure out if I can do something simpler in a Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, or Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Estate Wagon. I realize there are some serious key differences between sedans and Wagons like rear leaf springs for example. But rest of the drive train is the same I believe. Anyways I'm linking all the episodes about this build including the stroker LSA Motor, even though I'm not doing the stroker build and just getting a Create ready to drive set up like Chevrolet's Performance Connect and Cruise LSA Supercharged Engine and Transmission Packages CPSLSAER0D4L85E @ Summit Racing.

Engine Power: S03EP05 | Cadillac LSA 427 Stroker Part 1
    Engine Power: S03EP06 | Cadillac LSA 427 Stroker Part 2
    Engine Power: S03EP11 | Grey Hair, White Knuckle Caprice
    Engine Power: S03EP15 | Grey Hair, White Knuckle Caprice Part II
    Engine Power: S03EP22 | Caprice Capstone
    Engine Power: S04EP02b | Engine Power Takes The Caprice To The Track For It's Maiden Voyage

Thanks in Advance, Alice

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

As far as I'm concerned, you can do anything you set your mind and your wallet to, within reason. I want Ford factory SEFI in my '79 Ranchero, on top of a 351W, along with all the OBD II gear, so that I can prove it can be done, and done well. but since my wallet's full of air and dust, it won't happen anytime soon.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

Sounds like a cool concept as well. I'm thinking that I'd be happier with a v8 station wagon. But GM defently has the aftermarket advantage over the blue oval. I mainly been a Ford girl most my life though. Buick is defently my prefers GM though.

4. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

Guess u can say I'm transplanting SS DNA into a family/grocery hauler.

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :2cents:Even money is not the biggest issue in these dreams. Finding a good honest shop with fair prices that will get the job done in a fair amount of time and do it right is important!
    Fast-N-Loud, Counting Cars, and those other specialty programs are in it for the big dollars and big spenders. Not Joe the Cruiser the family guy type cars. Cruising to the local car show and getting to Walmart and back is far more important in the real world. Doing it 1/4 mile at a time won't put bread and milk on the table.
    Check out some of the articles and photos right here written by Texas Mike. He and his family drive a beat up old factory original Buick wagon all over Texas smiling and having a good time all the way. That's what it's all about.

TV has been flooded with new programs showing us how to spend large amounts of money on useless cars and trucks. In the real world how often would you drive a diesel powered monster station wagon or overbored turbo powered V-8?
    In the long haul a dependable fuel efficient vehicle is lots more fun and dependable. Either buy a ready to drive older wagon in great shape, costing a few dollars more than average, or have a local garage build up a small block V-8 and late model electric overdrive tranny. A late model junk yard posi will last forever if not abused.
    Seems I remember some handicap issues. Getting a wagon set up for special needs will add to the expense. Build a driver that will last for years, not until the next TV series comes out.

Just my opinion, others may vary.:stirthepot:

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

All valid points. It brings to mind the saying "Form follows function, because function follows form is useless." And in having the hayzoo big-dollar engines and suspensions, you now have pushed your wagon into the realm of probable repairs and expensive maintenance. My idea for my Ranchero can also be done to any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury sedan or wagon, if done right. Plus, I plan to do the majority of the work myself. The original idea for Babe's restomod is to install newer parts to replace ones no longer available through Ford or are expensive to buy through obsolete parts houses.

Oh, and though I bleed Ford Blue when cut, I'm also a student of Dr. Oldsmobile.

7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I have found that over my short lifetime that GM parts fit in a Ford fairly well and cheaper. I bleed sort of a Chevy red/orange .:)
    As a reference, take the 1932 Ford V-8, one of Henry's best ideas. Hotrodders and normal people bragged about that little flat head V-8. Yet as soon as GM came out in 1955 with a REAL V-8, the Flat head was dead. Today you can build several small block Chevy engines cheaper than one Flathead............. or Ford 302.:stirthepot:

Dr Oldsmobile is dead. But he built a great V-8 in 1949. I still admire my best friend's 1950 and 1951 Olds fastback sedans when I visit him.
    I still think the 1949 Hydramatic was the best transmission invented.

To be fair to Alice, we've all had our dreams! I was in the class of '57 and still dream.

8. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

All 91-96 GM B-body vehicles have coil springs.
    No difference in the engine department so the swap would be the same, the B-body LS conversion kits are for sedans and wagons. Go to the Impala SS forum and you can read all about LS swaps, been done many times.
    There is no such thing as a Custom Cruiser "Estate Wagon" it's just a Custom Cruiser.
    Texas Mike's car is "beat up"????:D

Algercruiser likes this.
  9. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

All very true points. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's practical. Maybe it's because I'm paralyzed in bed and my mind just can't stop running. But I am definitely a dreamer when it comes to cars and computers.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

11. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

Been doing lots more research on this car idea. I've come up with a list of parts that could bowl dinner I think. But I don't know about how to hook up the gauges or anything like that. My guess is my best bet would be to get a universal set of gauges from something like Automator. They make a nice one that has smoked lenses even. But here is a list of parts I'm going to have to yet for under the hood.
    Chevrolet Performance Connect and Cruise LSA Supercharged Engine and Transmission Packages CPSLSAER0D4L85E, Chevrolet Performance LSA CTS-V Accessory Drive Systems 19243525, and Chevrolet Performance LSA A/C Add-On Kits 1924410 at Summit Racing.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    But I am definitely a dreamer when it comes to cars and computers.

I'd guess there's not one member who's not a dreamer when it comes to cars. If it weren't for dreams cars wouldn't have been invented or improved. As car guys and gals we dream of our next project and what we will do with it when we have it. Of course, many dreams never come true for many reasons. But dreaming is still an exciting way to pass time. I even dreamed when I was out in the garage working on a beat up old rust bucket.
    Sounds of "uddin uddin beep beep:chirp:" could be heard when my wife came out to see why I wasn't in bed at 2 AM.
    Sometimes to make those dreams come true we have to alter those dreams to make them more possible.

13. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

I just hope I can get one base model eventually. Man I miss post to be getting a big settlement from hospital I'll see you but that could take till 2025 for all I know. But I would like to get just a basic station wagon so I can transport a wheelchair and some other handicap equipment. I don't know maybe I should get a Dodge Magnum.

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Try to hold off for an older station wagon if that's your real dream. Anyone can own a Dodge Magnum or a mini van.

15. AliceSML79

AliceSML79 New Member

Is there any kind of price range I should expect for a good Buick or caprice classic wagon? I mean I want something mechanically sound the start with. I live in the south so it's a little easier to find rust free car. But finding these cars is a lot harder down here too. Basically I want one with power windows, AC, power locks, and cruise control. Would it be hard to find a car like that? Also how much should I expect to pay for said car