Stuttering lock-up on 700R4 in GMC van

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Senri, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi everyone!
    I still don't have a wagon, but I really could do with your advise. I have an 88 GMC Vandura Starcraft conversion Van. It has the 5.7 tbi engine coupled to a 700R4 and an LPG conversion.
    Once in a while I experience a stutter in the transmission of which I am almost 100% positive is the lock-up vibrating. I also suspect that it does not really lock-up in 3rd (as should be, I thought) but when shifting to overdrive. This often results in such a big rpm drop that it will shift up again and go back and forth until speed (read rpm) has been increased enough. This is around 45 mph.
    I was advised by some to disengage the lockup (I have an extra big oil cooler) or to make a switch to switch it off. The last advise I will do, as the LPG conversion has decreased the power, resulting in shift rpm's that are actually a bit too low and disabling the lock-up at lower speeds can give a bit more power.
    Anyway, besides many disadvantages in disabling the lock-up, I have a principle problem with disabling systems when they don't function.
    I am not really familiar enough with the lock-up system to reason what could be wrong, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. 65 2dr

65 2dr Fix 'em all -

I'd start with a complete flush of the trans fluid, and go from there.

3. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, but trans is just been flushed and has now new fluid and filter. No change though....

4. 65 2dr

65 2dr Fix 'em all -

Lock-up clutch is going bad - you might get away with switching the converter, before it goes all the way bad and ruins the trans itself.