Stirring the pot a little bit.........

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Krash Kadillak, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What is a Kia Rondo?

1. Small Station Wagon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 'Tall Station Wagon'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5-Door Hatchback

100.0%
  1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Our oldest daughter is expecting our first grandchild in October (a girl).
    Of course, first thing I think about is how are they (dtr + BF) going to get around with the baby. He can't seem to grasp her 5-speed manual Focus ZX3, and it is a 3-door hatch, so not the most baby-friendly vehicle. It's also got like 175,000 miles, and she hasn't taken really good care of it lately - needs a new clutch and who knows what else. Money for them is an issue, so they are going to pay us back with their 2017 income tax refund after the first of the year.

So I go vehicle shopping. She said just about anything with 4 doors and an automatic transmission will do. I confined my searches to sedans, wagons, minivans and SUV's under $3,000, 4 or 6 cylinders only.

High on the list were Ford Windstars, Escapes and Explorers; Chrysler Corp minivans; Honda Odysseys and Toyota Siennas. I did some cursory looking at the salvage auction I attend on Mondays. I don't have a bidding license under MY name, so if I wanted something, I would have to get one of the other bidders to buy it for me, and then buy it from him. Also have to be careful, ethically - I can't buy something that my employer is bidding on. The auction does get some 'clean title' (mostly donated) vehicles that they run through. Saw a couple that were interesting, an Explorer and a Kia Rondo, but they both had issues, so I decided not to pursue that avenue.

I cruised some used car lots around here, and I was extremely disappointed with how bad the vehicles looked and drove. Seems no one wants to put ANY money into their vehicles - not even to clean them up. Drove a 2000 Odyssey - filthy, probable transmission issues. 2001 Ford Windstar from the same place - huge crack across the windshield; buzzing motor noise inside the dash (and not HVAC-related). Go to another dealer and just looked around. Half of the vehicles on the lot were still waiting to be detailed, and the ones that were detailed I didn't want.

When I saw the Kia Rondo at the salvage auction, it was the first time I had even looked at one, and I was sort of impressed with the interior - very nice, and plenty of room for such a small vehicle. The back seat is HUGE. Plenty of room for an infant seat, and the access you need to get one it and latched. All the ones that were for sale via CL or Auto Trader were over $4,000......until this one popped up:

[​IMG]

This is a 2008 Rondo LX, which is the lower of the two model ranges (EX, the other one), but it has a 2.7 liter V6, and a 5-speed auto transmission. Also has tilt, cruise, AC, CD player, power steering, brakes, locks, windows and mirrors; 16" alloy wheels - pretty well equipped.

Only bad thing is the miles - second owner has had it since 2009, and it shows 147,600 miles. It drove fine - no drive train issues. All the coil packs were replaced recently. It does need 2 tires, and maybe brakes (and shocks?). I made the deal - got it for below what KBB said it should go for - at the low end of their scale. ($2,650) I'll spend a week or so fixing what it needs, then swap cars with the daughter next week.

So my question:
    Is this a 4-door hatchback?
    Is this a small station wagon?
    Is this a 'tall wagon' (like one of those old Colt Vistas...)?

By the way - they were available with a third seat, although this one does not have that option.

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The answer to all three of your questions are one answer--'yes.' I've only serviced one Rondo, but it had all the room a longshanks such as myself needed to fit comfortably. This would be close to the current Ford Edge/Explorer body style. Here's to hoping she and her other half takes care of it, and that it takes care of them.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Truth be told, I would have preferred a Ford product, but the right one just didn't pop up. I sort of excluded the 1st-gen Escape, because the back seat is sort of tiny...

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I know nothing about this style or make but it looks very nice in the photo, price is good, and it sort of looks like a mini van which I'm sort of hooked on for ease of entery and room for a rug rat.
    Our son's new Dodge mini van has served him well for exactly one year. The pass second seat has a permanent car seat and the owner, Izzy, has her name on the license plate.
    It also hauled me, her, son, and most of our junk to our new Illinois home from Florida. He's put 20,000 miles on it, gets around 22 MPG but it cost more than $18,000 more plus extras than what you paid.
    So considering the Rondo appears straight, decent color, and runs well I'd say it should do nicely if taken care of.

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I wrote a novel with my opinon but somehow forgot to hit send. So short version, looks clean and decent at that low price. To me it sort of looks like a mini van which is a good rugrat hauler.
    I think you did good grandpa.

6. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'll also add that Kias are much better made cars than they used to be, but you do have to keep up with the maintenance on them as they are still somewhat cheaply built - mainly the suspensions will chew tires fast if alignments aren't kept up and they tend to go out easily. The drivetrain on those cars has proven to be reliable though, so that shouldn't be too much of a source of trouble.

7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Congratulations on the 1st grand baby!! I got nothing bad to say about Kia. One thing I think I remember is a lot of the parts are only available through a dealer and if I remember they were a little high pricey. My :2cents:

8. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    The 2.7 V6 is an 'interference' motor, with a timing belt. Supposed to be changed every 60k. Seller says it was changed (maybe) around 70k, so we're running on borrowed time. My mechanic shop (large independent) gave me a quote of $1,420 for the job. On-line research indicates it should be in the $8-900 area. The Kia dealer says it will be right around $750, including new water pump, camshaft seals, etc. Appointment made.

I looked into doing the job myself, but it appears I would need $1-200 worth of tools that I don't have...... not to mention it would most likely take me a week.

9. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I'd say $750 is good. Especially at a dealership

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Congrats on becoming a Grandpa Krash!
    I am sure the KIA will work fine for the interim. I do know they had a reputation for being cheap, in every regard aside from parts, but that is only based on what I have heard since I have never owned one. I am sure that like most things, as long as it is taken care of and maintained it will serve them well.