Station wagon values increasing

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jaunty75, Sep 4, 2019.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

According to Old Cars Magazine.

In addition to their bi-monthly Old Cars Price Guide, they put out a book every year called "Collector Car Price Guide," and in an article about the upcoming 2020 issue in the most recent (September 12) issue of the magazine, they said this

Scan_20190904 (Small).jpg

Later on in the same issue of the magazine, in their "Auction Express" column, they mention the sale at the July Mecum auction in Denver of a 1976 Buick Estate Wagon.

Scan_20190904 (2) (Large).jpg

Their price guide condition 4 basically says "runs and drives but needs full restoration." Condition 3 is "car show" condition, or a "20-footer."

Anyway, the most recent edition of the OCPG to feature values for 1976 model year cars is the May/June 2019 issue, and it places the value of a #4 condition 1976 Buick Estate Wagon at about $2,500. The sale price of $7,700 for the car above would seem to support the contention that wagon prices are rising.

101Volts likes this.
  2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I found more photos of the above Buick at the Mecum website, and I have to say that I think they're doing it a disservice in calling it a #4 condition car. While Mecum doesn't show any photos of the engine compartment (and that might be one of the biggest reasons that the Old Cars people put the car's condition at #4), the rest of the car looks very nice and perhaps puts it closer to #3 condition than #4. The Old Cars Price Guide values a #3 condition '76 Estate Wagon at about $5,500. So the wagon above still sold for more than the price guide suggests, which still supports the idea that wagon prices are increasing, but the increase appears to be more modest if one looks more closely at the car in question. In my opinion.

buick1.JPG
    buick2.JPG
    buick3.JPG
    buick4.JPG

The rear window weatherstripping looks to be in pretty good shape. That's a common problem area on these wagons as this weatherstripping is not reproduced.

buick5.JPG
    buick6.JPG
    buick7.JPG

The car is well-optioned, too, as you might expect from a higher-end model like a Buick.

From the Mecum website (plus the last two added by me):

• 9 passenger station wagon
    • Power steering
    • Power disc brakes
    • Power windows
    • 6 way power seat
    • Air conditioning
    • Tilt column
    • Remote mirrors
    • AM/FM radio
    • Roof rack
    • Two tone paint
    • Wide Whitewall tires
    • 455 CI V-8 engine
    • Turbo 400 automatic transmission
    • Trailer towing package
    • Accessory wheel well and rocker moldings
    • Cruise Control
    • Power tailgate

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    101Volts likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Jaunty, this is very interesting indeed. The Buick in question certainly seems nicer than #4 condition, as you mentioned, so I think that skews the numbers a bit. But the overall idea that wagons are going up in value is intriguing indeed. I still recall my younger days when I was constantly made fun of for driving a station wagon. Now I can't go anywhere without someone stopping to say how neat my wagon is. From my own experience much of it ties into the #5 reason listed in the Collector Car price guide article, where folks recall fondly the station wagon they rode in as a kid.

101Volts likes this.
  4. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I'd say another reason is the price of most 2dr models (of any model with 2 or 4 doors) have gotten to the point of unattainable which leaves only the option of 4dr sedans or wagons. Personally I cant think of a single car where the wagon doesnt seem to have more style and look sleeker and smoother than its 4dr sedan counterpart.

101Volts likes this.
  5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It seems that around 2014, maybe a bit earlier, perceptions of Wagons started changing. I got compliments on my 1990 Mercury that early (August / Sept. 2014.)

I suppose any common car model has to go through the "Just an old, dirty and used car" phase. I'm pretty sure even a 99 Caravan will have appeal to a collector eventually, just give it enough time and wait for enough used ones to rust to oblivion. I don't think I'd want a 99 Caravan but who knows, I rode in a few 2000 models.