So much rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Camm, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Camm

Camm New Member

hi there peoples,
    I run a small rust repair/fab shop in Australia and I have started a restoration on a customers 1976 Ford ltd station wagon.
    The wagon is extremely rusty and have been hand making replacement panels/sections for it as I go but I’m starting to look a bit deeper for whatever parts are available.
    This wagon was imported into Australia over 25years ago and not sure where it came from originally, the owner knows very little about the car but is persistent on sticking with the build. I have seen pictures online of mercury marquis station wagons and this looks very similar.
    Anyway I’m after whatever help I can get for repair section,NOS panels, half cuts anything really as I will need interiour parts and a door rubber kit later down the track but atm I need to get the body rust free.

Any help would be great
    Cheers cam
    Ps I’ll post up some pics of the wagon soon

fannie likes this.
  2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yikes sounds like a huge project. Pictures will help a lot, if these guys can help they will. We have a few members from down under but I'm no sure if they re close to you. Good luck with everything,

:Welcome:

Camm likes this.
  3. Camm

Camm New Member

here are a few pics of where the wagon was before we started stripping it down, didn't look to bad from the outside, last 2 pics are after we disassembled the back end trying to get back to something solid to build back up from.

Attached Files:

Grizz likes this.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Thats a lotta work. God bless whomever is footing the bill for this. And god bless you camm for doing the work! Hope the forum will be helpful. Keep us posted!

Camm likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Wow, that is bad. Seldomly have I seen any Ford wagons that bad in back; it generally takes a lot of Winter road salt exposure to get one going that bad. Anyway, you can at least get clued in on where it originally was sold here in the States by the DSO (District sales office) code on the driver's door jamb sticker. Just google it for the general location. And BTW, does this wagon have the 460? If so, I have a tag-correct 4350 carb that came off a running '77 Country Squire 460, D7VE-AAA, for $100 U.S. If you're interested (or even if not), just PM me to let me know.

Camm likes this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Also, where in Australia are you?

Camm likes this.
  7. Camm

Camm New Member

I’m in Perth, left hand door jam sticker is faded and can’t make it out but the right hand side Tyre placard is readable

Attached Files:

8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Being in Perth, can we assume that you're already familiar with rust damage through sea salt? I couldn't imagine settling anywhere else in Australia, besides Perth which is know as Australia's version of California

Camm likes this.
  9. Camm

Camm New Member

yes fair few rusty cars around, this car was parked outside in northern queensland (very humid) and this has caused moisture to form on the inside of the panels and started rust from there, from the outside the car seemed decent?worakble but wasn't until we dug deeper we found the extent of it, to late to turn back

10. Camm

Camm New Member

is anyone familiar on what model wagon this is or what it was sold as overseas as there seems to be nothing local here in Australia from what ive seen was hoping to do some research and try find some parts internationally but unsure on what to search for as im not 100% clued up on the 70s american wagons

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Cool!!! My stint in the United States Navy brought me to your beautiful city twice! Some day, I'll have a flatbed scanner to scan in all my pics I took there.

Unfortunately, someone removed the tag, and what's left is a way to show it was tampered with. There is a copy of the original VIN stamped in the frame, but the location is not published to the general public, and so I'm not sure you could ever find it and use it to get a Marti report on the wagon, if the customer wished.

12. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are not many parts for these things around. I have a 77 colony park, same body just different trim. Door seals are a no go. I have looked into building my own if needed as there is lots of rubber profiles out there to use.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Does J.C. Whitney carry the big collection of door seals they used to have in their paper catalog?

14. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome Camm. That wagon looks like it is going to be quite the undertaking. Good luck with it. I hope you find the forum helpful.

15. Tryloff

Tryloff Well-Known Member

http://www.greensalescompany.com/ -NOS ford parts dealer located in the USA. If they can't find the part, they will at least provide a part number for you to do your own searching.
    https://nospartsltd.com/ - Another domestic US option. This one is a little harder to go through.
    There are a few others that I haven't tried yet. When these don't have what I need, I simply Google search "NOS ford parts" and start clicking.

Good luck! unfortunately, wagons are hard to source parts for. One option is, find a rust free parts car with no engine or wrecked in the front etc... That's what I'll be doing with my 70 Squire.