Smog pump

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Grizz, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    what y'all know about these smog or air pumps. I got one on my 87 cp and have considered removing it. From what I understand it only serves emissions purposes? I think it it's supposed to add cool air into the exhaust further combusting the particles, before they are released and sent directly to destroy the rain forest and polar bears.
    I have two "Cadillac"converters, one for each side, I heard that removing the pump might clog the cats. Sooner? I also have fairly strict emissions tests to pass. I think someone makes a bracket and pulley to replace the pump, or can I eliminate it all together and just use a shorter belt? My biggest issue with this system is the I think, they are 3/4 or 1", pipe that run from the pump to the exhaust. Boy are they a pain. Removal and installation of the transmission was especially difficult to navigate around. I'm not going to lie, in a bout of frustration I sort of, well just flat out broke one and had to do a shoddy weld which I am not proud of. Which actually when it all boils down to it the main reason I want to get rid of it all, because I don't want to replace something that a bunch of regulating tree huggers came up with in the first place!!! Am I completely wrong on all this or what?!:bsod:

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I would hope you wouldn't do that, simply because, if we Humans, in our selfish stupidity (and believe me, there's way far too much stupidity in this world right now) caused the very same problems we had in the Sixties and early Seventies because of untreated, unregulated exhaust, we would have no one to blame but ourselves. Also, removing it from operation will mess up the computer's operation because that metered air is figured in to the air-fuel ratio calculations. Removing the pump from operation will cause you headaches.

Grizz and Glide-Aways like this.
  3. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz, you and I have two things in common: An '87 American-made wagon and strict smog regulations to pass (in my case, very strict). I agree with Andrew. Leave well-enough alone and according to how the car was designed; you'll have a much better chance of keeping it legal and minimizing the headaches that get in the way of enjoying your wagon. I bought mine from its home state of Texas. Despite running great when I got it, I had to put several hundred dollars into it just to get it to pass smog. None of that work required any customizing; it was all a matter of adjusting and replacing factory-correct parts. Ten months later, she's running great and I just renewed my registration for another year. On top a of all that, I improved my average mpg by about 2 mpg's.

Grizz likes this.
  4. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    All right! Thats settled. Now I just have a series of leaks to address. Thanks for the info. Was I right on what this thing does? How come newer vehicles have managed to eliminate this thing?

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I took the air pump off of my '91 CV a few years ago and just ran a shorter belt. It kept throwing belts which was annoying so I just put it back on. It doesn't weigh that much or take much power to turn so I think the improvements from removing it are negligible at best.

Grizz likes this.
  6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

If you have emissions it will NOT PASS without the air pump.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

The design of engines and their associated computer electronics has eliminated the airpump simply because the engines run much more lean versus the older engines. And variable valve timing has eliminated the EGR valve for some engines but not all.

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Oh wow, this I did not know. So if you got the vvt, you won't have an egr? Interesting. I can't think of which is worse, the egr is never easy to clean BUT I guess it's easier than dropping $120 on a vvt solenoid. Thanks for all the info.
    There is just a tad bit less stupidity in the world now!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  9. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I've been thinking about this all morning. So, I know (think I know) that egr means exhaust gas recirculation? It does just that, recycles the exhaust back into the intake, I can see how this does the same as the smog pump, but I guess I've never fully understood the vvt. I know for sure that it means "variable valve timing." I know that it requires oil pressure to work properly. I always figured it had something to do with different operating speeds, like going faster and such. Now that you say it is serves the same purpose, I have another guess. The "variable" valve opens during the exhaust stroke and instead of pushing the exhaust fumes out of the engine it opens back up during compression, therefore recycling the exhaust gasses with out the miles of pipes and hoses associated with the smog pump, and eliminates the clogged valve and tubes associated with the egr? I'm a big boy and grew up with big brothers so, if I'm wrong please hurl the insults.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

No, just a (I'll try to make it) quick lesson in emissions. You are right about Thermactor; it pushes fresh air into the exbaust stream, but for two reasons. 1) air injected into the exhaust ports helps prevent backfiring during deceleration, and of course, to assist in finishing oxidizing the leftover hydrocarbons so the byproducts of complete combustion, water and carbon dioxide, come out of the tailpipe. The other catalyzing operation, reduction, is done when the Thermactor is not pumping air downstream. EGR, exhahst gas recirculation, is to prevent the formation of NOx, oxides of nitrogen, which occurs when the cylinder temp goes beyond a certain point. EGR became necessary when combustion temperature would raise up as the engine's operating temperature was raised. This, along with the sulphur in fuels, that created "Acid Rain" by combining SOx and NOx with water in the air to make sulphuric acid and nitric acid.

11. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have an 84 caprice that runs just fine with all the smog stuff on it. When I put a new motor in her it will not be replaced. I have an 85 caddy with a pump that started to make bad noises so I removed the belt. The car runs BETTER now. We can get antique plates at 25yrs old in Maine so no inspection . Florida also has no inspection that is where the wagon lives.