Sleeper 89 GM Colony Park

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Rangermagnum, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

And so it begins…

for some inexplicable reason I decided I wanted a 70’s or 80’s wagon. Didn’t matter the brand, though I am typically a fan of The General when it come to my old cars.

Last month I found a sweet 89 mercury grand marquis wagon. Low miles, great condition, but didn’t run. The poor kid I bout it from said he paid 5k for it, drove it 30 miles when, according to him, “it started to smell funny, and then stopped”
    This kid knew next to nothing about cars, so I was hoping it was possibly an alternator that was the culprit.

Anyway I went to pick up the car and struck what I thought to be an excellent price. cCash exchanged hands, and it was loaded onto the trailer.

Once home, I began the investigation, hoping a new battery would light her up. While I did get it to crank over, it was sloooow…

hmm….

I removed a spark plug, and a torrent of water came out.

I removed another spark plug and the same thing.

I removed all eight plugs and all eight holes were filled. I checked the oil and it was also filled with water. This engine had more water in it than the titanic when it sank!

shit…

well, time for a new short block. So I set about to remove the engine, and in a few hours it was hanging from my hoist. But by then it was getting late, so I called it a night and jumped online to see about options.

I had bought an FSM online, so waited for it to arrive before I made any plans. Once it arrived I learned a 351W was an option, so I decided that I’d swap that for the waterlogged 302.

but then I started getting ideas. And when I get ideas, they usually aren’t good. (Shameless Instagram plug here… check out badideagarage for this and all my other stupid ideas)

Let’s build a sleeper! Bore n stroke that 351 and make it a 408!

so off to the salvage yard I went, looking for that coveted F4TE 5.8! Luckily I found a complete long block, and before my credit card could object, it was in the back of the dually.

Armed with a good cigar, bottomless coffee, and determination, I had that 5.8 apart in less time than it’s taken you to read this.

the block is at the machine shop, and I’m waiting on my Scat rotating assembly to be delivered.

As soon as it’s here I’ll assemble the short block, paint it, and drop it in. I’ll install the AFR heads after the block is installed. Still deciding on a cam, but will lean towards torque rather than HP. Not sure what headers will fit yet.

2. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

Here she is on day one 1C9EB242-D2AE-4B1A-82C8-ABA3EB5220AE.jpeg

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Crapola on the water in the engine, my 89's 302 runs like a raped ape, and I love it! Okay, to do a 351W, you'll need the following: Panther 351W oil pan with dipstick and tube (the 351 has a larger rear cap, so no 302 pan!), and the C4 flex plate, IIRC. It should fit the AOD's torque converter. The mounts may also be different, but I no longer have my Panther 351W parts, so I can't say. The A/C and Thermactor pump bracket assembly may need to be modified, unless you can find a cop car bracket assembly, but they are scarce. The front timing cover, water pump, drive pulleys, alternator upper bracket and cast P/S pump bracket are all the same. I used the bracketry from the '79 Grand Marq donor with the 351W I put in my '79 Ranchero, and the only change I had to make was the upper alternator bracket. The donor had the high-output first-gen alternator (side FLD/STA connector), and the Ranchero had the rear FLD/STA connectors, so I got a J/Y upper alternator bracket and used the Ranchero's alternator. Those are pretty much what you'll need.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

I'll be following this, if for no other reason than to upgrade my wagon in the future. My '79 Ranchero, Babe the Blue Ox, will eventually get Ford EFI, an AOD and 3.50 rear gears; I'd love to do some mods to Roger at some point.

5. Toybox06

Toybox06 Active Member

Watching with interest, sometimes I wish an engine swap was all I needed to do.

6. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

So I have everything off the 5.8 I might need, as I bought a long block. I will likely look to billet specialties for a serpentine assembly with their ac pump, alternator and p/s units

debating on fuel delivery still. 650 demon carb or a sniper efi. And maaaaybe a 50hp NOS plate

My rotating assembly is balanced so no need to worry about the flex plate confusions, tho I definitely will need a better torque converter

Wheels are still TBD

picked up an accuride set up, so that will be going in at some point.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Don't go carb. In the long run, it isn't easier, you actually have to find a gas tank, all lines and a Panther carbureted Windsor timing cover, just to start the conversion. Then, remember the Ford EFI fuel feed line is on the passenger side, the return line is driver side, whereas carbureted Fords had the feed line (and on a few, the return line) on the driver side. Changing that out is necessary, as the EFI return line is smaller than a carb feed line. You *can* do Ford EFI, using a Mustang A9L computer, harness and air intake tract, a truck 5.8L lower intake, and an adapter plate that adapts the factory upper plenum to the truck lower intake. It's what I intend to use when I install Ford EFI in my '79 Ranchero. This would be a bit of hassle, but much, much cheaper than Sniper EFI. Plus, the Mustang computer and MAF assembly allow for upsizing the intake tract and higher-flowing injectors, if you go with a bumpier roller cam.

8. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

I have a’98 5.7 complete long block. Will that pan work?

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

1) 5.7, or 5.8? With how there are people who love to throw Chevy engines at anything that rolls, I need to ask. 2) the pan for Panther cars is particular to them; if the pan is the same design and capacity, it *should* fit.
    Can you post pics of the engine, particularly the pan?

10. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

Not a Chevy engine. It’s a 351, which is 5.8

the above post was a typo

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ah, got it. I had to be careful, there are some who are dumb enough to put a Chevy engine in anything other than a Chevy.

12. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

I’m all for inter-brand engine swaps…. Like Cummins swaps and the like, but the whole LS thing is over played. And I’m sure I’ll catch hell for saying that too. Same with 20” wheels

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

LS builds are the 21st Century SBC builds. And as long as it's a Cummins or Navistar build, diesel drop-ins are okay in my book. Otherwise, I keep my Blue Ovals all-Blue Oval.

14. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

I’ve been a fan of The General since I can remember. This is my first Blue Oval project (I’ve had a number of ford work trucks tho) so keeping it all fomoco is the goal

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

FoMoCo or no go!

Reminds me of the Boeing Co. tag line, "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!" I yelled that out in the movie theater when "Memphis Belle" was on the screen, at the end of the scene where they dove the B-17 to put out an engine fire. The audience erupted in cheers, laughter and applause; I think it was the fact that the theater was at the Everett Mall, Everett, WA....