Roadmaster Trim Strip Repair

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by bocoogto, Oct 6, 2012.

1. bocoogto

bocoogto New Member

All the woodgrain strips on my '95 Roadmaster are perfect except the rear piece on the top tide of the tailgate. I know this piece is relatively easy to remove and replace. Is it still available from GM? Or, is there a vinyl film available to repair the strip?

I've used the search function on this forum to find suitable vendors and/or materials, but none of them look like they would make a OEM-like repair.

2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. Periscope

Periscope New Member

Patronize salvage yards!

Why not check salvage yards. A quick search of car-part.com will turn up places that have a Roadmaster of your vintage (search for a gate, so you don't get the rear-ended ones), and a few phone calls will turn up the closest one that's willing to sell you the trim.

I really think we all need to patronize salvage yards as much as possible, so they aren't in such a hurry to scrap old wagons, or mangle large components to get out a small mechanical piece to sell. I just had the gate, rear bumper, and both quarter panels of my Buick Century woody replaced after an unfortunate meeting with a semi-trailer and a concrete median barrier, and also replaced the rear driver side door which had some rust at the bottom. Found a yard that had a whole car, same color, no rust. Would have bought the driver door too, since mine has a small (fixable) dent, but they'd destroyed it to get the window motor out to sell.

Talked to another yard that also had a same-color woody, and the guy didn't know if he still had the doors -- explained he'd have to go check, because usually they only list the window motors in their inventory. So if you find a yard that has a matching car, there's a good chance they actually have more of it than they have listed. If they're willing to throw out a perfectly good door just to sell the window motor, they'd have been willing to sell the trim only, but they just don't seem to get enough calls for this stuff to make it worth bothering.

In the course of my parts searching, I also found a guy on Craigslist who was parting out much of a Buick Century woody because he was going to use it in demolition derby. Scored a whole set of woody trim for my parts collection, along with the replacement tail lights I needed, and a couple other random things.