Replacing rear door glass run channels for 80s Caprice

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Spartan, May 28, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

My continuing trials and tribulations of the weatherstripping on my 1983 Caprice...

I am trying to replace the rear window sweeps, and apparently the rear door quarter window has to come out also (which is a fixed window). This means that the glass run channel has to come out. I had been avoiding replacing this since it is still mostly in tact. However, removing it without destroying it is impossible - it's just too brittle.

I have realized that the wagon rear doors are not the same length as the Caprice sedan. Parts suppliers do not know this, since they sell the same weatherstripping parts for the sedan and wagon.

Therefore, has anyone replaced the rear door glass run channels on a Caprice, and if so, did you use the one for the sedan? Did it fit, or did you have to somehow modify it? It's all one piece from what I can tell.

2. Spartan

Spartan Active Member

I figured it out. I used the channels made for the sedan and cut about an inch out of the top strip, right in the middle, and joined them back up. Works fine, and actually easier to install in two pieces than one complete piece. Hardest part was getting the metal channel into the rubber and then into the door frame. Will post some pictures once I get the other side done.